• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to version Online Help not using source control?

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all!

We just delivered the first version of our Online Help using RoboHelp9. All of our files are stored on our network and I'm wondering what the best way is to start documenting for the new release. Do we just make a copy of the files and create a new folder?

I'm also wondering how it would be possible to make a change in one place that could be applied to multiple, selected versions. For example, if a defect is fixed in our enterprise software in version 2.1 and current, is it possible to make the change in version 2.1 of the RoboHelp files and also have it apply to the most recent version?

I'm trying to avoid a lot of copying and pasting, especially since our network is pretty slow.

How would this work with a source control? If the solution is more elegant, I'd be happy to look into getting our files into some sort of source control.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't have your RH project files on your network (well, you can, but it will be a world of pain) - best practices advises:

c:\projects\\

as your folder structure.

Do you have multiple authors working on the same projects? If so, then you need source control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we have 3 authors for all the projects. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into source control.

Do you have any experience with RoboSource? Likes? Dislikes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope - we're a one-author shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp