• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot uninstall flash player 11.1.102.55

Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have been doing some tests with the newer flash version and found some issues, I am wondering if this happens to other people and if there's a way to resolve it.

The issue does not occur on a 32 bit system, only a 64 bit system.

Windows 7 Pro with IE8.

Install flash using: install_flash_player_11_active_x_64bit.msi

Go to the flash "about" page - shows proper version of flash is installed.

Go to uninstall a program and uninstall Flash Player.

The entry disappears.

Then, I go to the flash "about" page - still shows flash is installed! (reporting current version)

The following folders still contains files:

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

> Flash64_11_1_102.ocx

> FlashInstall.log

> FlashUtil64_11_1_102_ActiveX.dll

> FlashUtil64_11_1_102_ActiveX.exe

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

> Flash11e.ocx

> FlashInstall.log

> FlashUtil11e_ActiveX.dll

> FlashUtil11e_ActiveX.exe

If I then run C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil64_11_1_102_ActiveX.exe and click Uninstall, the uninstallation is succesful.

Anyone knows what's up? Did Adobe accidently release a broken product or it's just us??

Any help or info is appreciated.   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

ChrisC, if I start doing bug reports on Adobe products I may never return to sanity.I did find exactly the problem with the 11.1.102.55 64-bit package that causes it to uninstall from ARP but leave everything behind, including the Flah Add-ons.  The CustomAction in the 64-bit MSI installers that runs If REMOVE="ALL" is trying to execute the FlashUtil64 program installed with Flash Player.  Problem is your installer team changed the name of that program at some point and forgot to change the Cust

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download:

Windows 64-bit: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash _player_64bit.exe

Run Uninstaller.

Restart computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer, Carl, but please note one of my last sentence:

If I then run C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil64_11_1_102_ActiveX.exe and click Uninstall, the uninstallation is succesful.

We are deploying this application on over 15000 computers so this is not an acceptable alternative. Why is Adobe's uninstall broken? Is it uninstalling properly for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The uninstall works fine on my Windows 7 64-bit edition, so it must be something on your system.

Can you try the following, on a clean system (with Flash Player not installed):

• delete any remaining files in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
  • delete any remaining files in C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash
  • install Flash Player
  • uninstall Flash Player - make sure no browsers are running during the uninstall

Please post the contents from the FlashInstall.log file from both the above install folders (or attach the files to your post).  The log files should show why the uninstall was not successful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try using the silent uninstall of Flash by downloading the below uninstaller.  If you use the -uninstall form a command line it will uninstall it "silently" if the browser is not opened if the browser is open the user will get the Close current or all tabs message from IE.

I'm having issues with the 32 bit version but maybe the 64 bit will help you.

Good luck.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that Adobe used the Shockwave model for the new 64-bit Flash Player uninstall.  Running the uninstall from ARP, or running msiexec /x, does nothing more than remove it from ARP.  This is true for both the ActiveX and the Plug-in.  The ActiveX install installs the FlashUtil64_11_1_102_ActiveX.exe.  The Plug-in install installs its own utility FlashUtil64_11_1_102_ActiveX.exe.  Both sit in System32\Macromed\Flash.  Running either of these utilities with the -uninstall option removes both silently, including the 32-bit plugins under SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash).  By remove I mean it deletes the files, removes the Add-ins, and the registry keys.  It does not however remove the Uninstall entries from ARP.  The only way I found to handle this is to wrap the uninstall in a script that runs the msiexec.exe /X for both the ActiveX and the Plug-in, and then run the ActiveX utility, OR, download their uninstaller for 64-bit (see Jima101's link above) and run that with -uninstall for a silent and complete removal.  We use SCCM and make this available as a Pull to our users.  Until the Adobe packager gets a clue as to what uninstall really means, this is the only option I've found to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

I'm not an expert with install technology (especially when it comes to the admin side of things).  Would you be willing to create a new bug report over at bugbase.adobe.com and list out what you think we're currently doing and what we should be doing instead?  If you can post back with a bug #, I'll take that to the installer team and see what we can do to improve things.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChrisC, if I start doing bug reports on Adobe products I may never return to sanity.I did find exactly the problem with the 11.1.102.55 64-bit package that causes it to uninstall from ARP but leave everything behind, including the Flah Add-ons.  The CustomAction in the 64-bit MSI installers that runs If REMOVE="ALL" is trying to execute the FlashUtil64 program installed with Flash Player.  Problem is your installer team changed the name of that program at some point and forgot to change the CustomAction to execute the new program name.  Did no one actually test the uninstall before Adobe released this version?  I will be fixing my installation with a couple of simple transforms to fix the CA.  Happy Thanksgiving to the installer (uninstaller?) team at Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeJ53LL is right.

From this screenshot, we can clearly see that the uninstall is calling FlashUtil64_11_1_0_ActiveX.exe

Clipboard01.jpg

However, in this version the file is actually called FlashUtil64_11_1_102_ActiveX.exe

Modifying the MSI to reflect this file name resolves the issue.

Adobe, please do thorough testing before releasing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please...Adobe....Respond!  My 64-bit is doing the same thing after install, reinstall, etc., etc. over and over.  Cannot use computer now for many tasks.  Th. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also running windows 7 with 64 bit and now the  Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55.  The recent automatic Flashplayer update made my IE9 browser disfunctional.  I ran the uninstall flashplayer program [uninstall_flash_player_64bit.exe]  and I then went back to your site and downloaded and reinstalled the flashplayer 11.1.102.55.  Right now the only way I can make my browser functional is to go to tools/manage add-ons and disable the item

Name                Shockwave Flash Object
Publisher           Adobe Systems Incorporated
Status              Disabled
File date           ‎Yesterday, ‎November ‎22, ‎2011, ‏‎2:19 PM
Version             11.1.102.55

When this is enabled my IE9 browser [Version: 9.0.8112.16421  update version 9.0.3]

is  basically disfunctional...I do not know what to do at this point. 

Please help.

Thanks,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "dysfunctional"?

What is your graphics adapter and version number?

Click Alt and X, click Internet options, click Advanced, check Use software rendering instead GPU rendering.

Then enable Shockwave Flash Object, is I.E. 9 still "dysfunctional" with Flash Player enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By dysfynctional I mean that when I go to certain sites they do not open or the pictures on display on these sites do not display and the spinning disk in the browser tab keeps spinning, with only part of the webpage on display.  Sometimes the browser locks up completly and it cannot  be closed....however a new browser tab can be opened.

As for GPU vs software I did see some posts with the opposite advice, namely that Software rendering should be turned off and GPU rendering should be turned on to help with very slow webpage updates...I will try the opposite and turn on software rendering.

I have a Intel(R) HD graphics card if that is helpful

All was well with my system until the latest Flashplayer update yesterday....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The combination of I.E. 9, Flash Player and Intel HD graphics with old drivers can cause problems.

Click Start, right click Computer, select Manage, click Device Manager, double click Display adaptors, double click Intel HD Graphics, click Driver.

What is the date and version of your driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is occuring on a vmware virtual machine - VMware SVGA 3D is the driver.

Version 7.14.1.42

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl

My Intel (R) HD graphics

Driver version is    8.15.10.2253

the date is 11/28/2010

paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest driver for your hardware is 8.15.10.2509

HD.PNG

Find it at http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 24, 2011 Nov 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't have anything to do with the drivers.

Mike demonstrated what the issue was, and he was right.

Adobe needs to get their shit together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat's message about drivers was in response to Champ117.  You will get an email message not necessarily for a response to you but because you have message(s) in the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the confusion.  The problem in this forum is that people append their problems into completely unrelated topics.  I think we should just stop replying to such occurrences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To assist us in quickly understanding your problem, please follow these guidelines when posting:

• Specify your operating system (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • Specify your web browser and version (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • Specify your Flash Player version 
  • Give us a brief explanation of the problem, please include any information you feel is important

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines