9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2012 11:11 PM by d-v-c RSS

Premiere pro CinemaDNG importer 8 bit?

panauser

in known issues it says "The Importer only supports 8-bit frames. Frames with higher bit-depths are not supported".

i have ikonoskop camera which shoots 12bit CinemaDNG raw file. If i import these files to Premiere pro via CinemaDNG importer does it mean i can only work and export 8 bit????

• 1. Re: Premiere pro CinemaDNG importer 8 bit?
          Lars Borg Community Member

Yes, but it's not 8 bits of raw.

Premiere's import converts 12bit linear raw to 8-bit gamma encoded (typical video format), so it packs a dynamic range similar to 12-bit raw.

Lars

• 2. Re: Premiere pro CinemaDNG importer 8 bit?
            panauser Community Member

if i have 12bit cinemaDNG files form (ikonoskop dii camera) which is better to work premiere or AE? i thought both are handling the files in same way but it is not.

AE can processs 16bit but premeiere has to convert to 8 bits. so if i render and export from premiere it gives me only 8 bit resuts.

• 3. Re: Premiere pro CinemaDNG importer 8 bit?

AE gives you more options to color grade overbrights.

• 4. Re: Premiere pro CinemaDNG importer 8 bit?
                panauser Community Member

thank you for the quick response.  but my question is does premiere processing dng files in 8 bits while AE processing 12 (or 16) bits?

• 5. Re: Premiere pro CinemaDNG importer 8 bit?

Pr is 8-bit gamma encoded.

Ae can be set to same or more bits, with many encoding options, partly thanks to color management options.

Lars

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T

• 6. Re: Premiere pro CinemaDNG importer 8 bit?

Both apps process dng as 32-bit before converting to their working space.

Lars

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T

• 7. Re: Premiere pro CinemaDNG importer 8 bit?
                      d-v-c

Installed as documented.

Opened Premiere 5.5 and selected the first dng file. It imported fine. But, the remainder in the folder did not import as Adobe says they will.

SOLVED:

Looking at another post about the same problem I found one must --dahh -- import the FOLDER and then select the first DNG clip.

So is there any documentation on all the controls?

Message was edited by: d-v-c

• 8. Re: Premiere pro CinemaDNG importer 8 bit?
                        Ken Kameda

Do you mean the rendering controls in the CinemaDNG dialog? They are a subset of the controls found in the Adobe CameraRAW dialog.

• 9. Re: Premiere pro CinemaDNG importer 8 bit?
                          d-v-c Community Member

Lars you answer, "

Yes, but it's not 8 bits of raw. Premiere's import converts 12bit linear raw to 8-bit gamma encoded (typical video format), so it packs a dynamic range similar to 12-bit raw."

As I understand it -- DNG files can carry 12 or more stops of latitude. This wide DR range is often carried within linear 12-bits. I believe the DNG importer performs it's work in 32-bits. Is it 32-bit FP or simply long word 32-bit integer?

In either case, the data must become something else. In Pr, the output is converted to 8-bits. To fit the output into 8-bits, a gamma curve is applied.

This leads to a few Pr questions:

1) What is the gamma curve used by Pr? REC709 for HD?

2) Since "typical video formats" carry only about 5 stops -- without a Knee.

3) When a BlackMagic camera records 13-stops -- can this DR really faithfully be represented by the 8-bit gamma data used in Pr?

4) When I render to get a normal speed playback, what HD codec is used by Pr?

5) Does it use the same gamma curve?

6) When I export from Pr -- say to ProRes 12-bit RGB 4444 -- does Pr use the 8-bit converted DNG (and 8-bit renders) or does it go back to DNG images?

In AE, the output can be to ProRes 12-bit RGB 4444. Clearly the 4096 levels from the DNG file get moved to ProRes. But, does the ProRes spec allow 13-stops the wat the CIE spec used by DNG does?

Lastly, when the DNG importer makes image modifications -- where are the change parameters saved? Within the first DNG file? Within ALL DNG files? Within AE or Pr Project?