• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a 64 bit install for Adobe Reader?

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2011 Nov 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I want to make a note that I did a search on the form, using the following text

"Is there a 64 bit install for adobe reader?"

And I did not find my answer.  That is why I'm posting this as a question.

So, with that out of the way....

I am getting ready to build a new computer for myself, and will be running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit.  Before I begin, I want to make sure I have all of my software that I want installed, and I am doing research on each program to see if there is a 64 bit version that can be installed.  What I would like to do is have as many as my programs that I install be 64 bit as possible.  I know that not every program will be 64 bit, but I did want to get as many of them as possible to be 64 bit applications.

As I do want a PDF reader on my computer, and I have used Adobe Reader for years, I started looking on the web site to download the current version.  However, I did not see any place that I could download a 64 bit version of Adobe Reader.

That is why I'm here asking.  Is there a 64 bit version of Adobe Reader that I can download?  If so, where is it on the web site?

This does lead me to a follow up question.  Is there a 64 bit version of the Flash Player, as well as the Shockwave player?  If so, where can I download them from as well.

Thanks in advance,

--Brian Plencner

[signature deleted by host]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no 64-bit version of Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

Thanks for the reply.  I was hoping that would not be the answer.

Do you happen to know why there is no 64 bit version of Adobe Reader?  Also, do you know if there are any plans in the works for Adobe to come out with one?

Thanks,

--Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 26, 2011 Nov 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's primarily due to the lack of a 64-bit browser which is the stumbling block. While Apple's Safari browser is available in the x64 flavour, it will only run on MACs. Microsoft has yet to make a 64-bit version of Internet Explorer available to all and sundry and since IE still dominates the business browser market, I don't think you'll be seeing Adobe take the plunge until Microsoft makes a 64-bit version available.

Here's the policy document on the subject: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403523.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2011 Nov 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention that Microsoft has yet to make a 64-bit version of Internet Explorer, and that is not true.  While I'm not running it right now, I do know that in the 64 bit versions of Windows 7, there are TWO versions of Internet Explorer that are installed.  One is 32 bit, and the other is 64 bit.  I am not sure if the same holds true for Windows XP x64, or  Windows Vista x64.  In regards to Windows 2008 R2 Server, that operating system is ONLY 64 bit, so the version of IE in that would be 64 bit as well.

So, I think someone needs to let Adobe know that 64 bit versions of Internet Explorer do exist, and are installed when anyone installs a 64 bit version of Windows 7.

Now, it may NOT be the default browser, but it is installed, and there is a shortcut for it on the start menu to launch it.

--Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 27, 2011 Nov 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's correct. But like I mentioned already, Reader is primarily aimed at the business community who will of course have to pay for a licence. Since businesses haven't migrated en masse to Windows 7 and are still using Windows XP Pro, the latter of which is still be supported until 2014, Adobe is unlikely to release a 64-bit flavour of Reader until Microsoft releases a 64-bit version of IE8.

As regards Windows Server 2008, there's a trial 32-bit version available, so I assume that a full version is also available: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb414778

Message was edited by: Xircal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I think you need to check the Microsoft web page, as I was able to find 64 bit versions of IE8 for download.

The URL to access the page is

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8

IE8_Download_64bit.jpg

From that page, I am able to select a 64 bit version of IE 8 for the following Operating Systems

-- Windows XP 64 Bit

-- Windows Vista 64 Bit

-- Windows Server 2003 64 Bit

-- Windows Server 2008 64 Bit

Windows 7 is not listed as an option as it already comes with IE8 installed by default.

Looks to me that Microsoft has already released a 64 bit version of IE8.

In fact, I went ahead and downloaded IE8 for Windows 2003 Server x64 bit, and looked at the details of the file.  Each microsoft download has a digital signature associated with them, showing a date and time of when the exe was built.

According to what is shown below, IE8 for Windows Server 2003 has been around since Sunday, March 08, 2009.

IE8_Timestamp.jpb.jpg

So, what has adobe been doing since March of 2009?  IE8 has been 64 bit for well over 2 years now (it will be 3 in March of 2012). While I know that it does take time to develop new applications, I don't think it would take 3 years for Adobe to come up with a 64 bit version of Reader that could have been built under the 64 bit platform.

--Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There appears to be a filter available in x64 flavor. Maybe that'll help: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4025

In addition, the problem appears to be linked to printing issues. See: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403523.html

Message was edited by: Xircal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2011 Dec 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since I don't see adobe making any moves to support 64 bit browsers, there are other softwares available.

I would love to continue to use adobe, but if they aren't going to support 64 bit, they're stuck in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines