15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2011 4:07 AM by alexanderdavid RSS

what type of image to use

alexanderdavid Community Member

as an ardent photographer most of my images are taken in RAW. The Last time I tried to start the Tutorial Builder with a RAW file it took approx 30min to change to a PNG.

Is there a maximum size of file that the program will work with, should that initial input be in RAW, PSD or JPG!!

• 1. Re: what type of image to use
          ablichter Community Member

ACR processing steps are saved within Tutorial Builder, but not shown... so here TB IMHO is pretty useless.

As long the PNGs will be created with the same dimensions as the image you used, I would take a PSD with 1.204 or 1.500 px on the longest side.

This should be good enough even for a presentation via beamer.

• 2. Re: what type of image to use

unfortunately when you open a cr2 file as i do it can be approx 17/18 MBand even bigger if you use a more proffesional camera. mine has 15 Million pixel some others are 25+ and the image size is 4752 x 3168 Pixels.

Dose this mean that one should reduce the size of the picture prior to using tutorial builder?

• 3. Re: what type of image to use

Dose this mean that one should reduce the size of the picture prior to using tutorial builder?

That was the idea behind my posting, yes. The resulting PNGs would be quiet large;  at about +50MB each.

As said, those who will watch the tutorial, won't see ACRs processing steps anyway, even when they are in the generated html code.

So better start with a smaller PSD.

• 4. Re: what type of image to use

as all if not photographers shoot in RAW (cr2) and if they wish to show there students how to achieve good results then changing RAW to psd loooses a valuable step in the whole procedure.

What size of PSD file would you suggest?

• 5. Re: what type of image to use

as all if not photographers shoot in RAW (cr2) and if they wish to show there students how to achieve good results then changing RAW to psd loooses a valuable step in the whole procedure.

I know but as said, these steps are recorded but no one can see what was done - they only see how the result is looking when the image opens in PS.

What size of PSD file would you suggest?

As said 1.024 or 1.500px on the longest side should do fine.

Or larger - but you better make some test.  Seems your computer is a bit week.

Saying so because it takes mine 15sec to generate and save a PNG from a 5 layered PSD at 4.752x 3.168px (manual when do a "Save As", as well when it was done by TB)

• 6. Re: what type of image to use

my PC has 4GB mememory, 2 scratch discs wich total 1TB win 7 cs5Extended which should be enough ?

I have tried and failed to be able to compress the file to approx 12kb which seems to be the requirement for html to save as a file.in my case even though I can get the size in Px down to 320 x 213 I still have a file size of 27kb which seems.

Have you any suggestions on what i am doing wrong

• 7. Re: what type of image to use

my PC has 4GB mememory, 2 scratch discs wich total 1TB win 7 cs5Extended which should be enough ?

In the beginning you said it takes 30 minutes to create ("change" to) the PNG. That is far to long. I made a second test on my weaker machine (4GB, 64bit W7, 32bit CS5) and here it takes 29 sec in 4.752x3.168px

I have tried and failed to be able to compress the file to approx 12kb which seems to be the requirement for html

There is no need for using such small image sizes. A resulting PNG size of 2-5 MB for the Before/After image is reasonable (instead of 25 or +50 MB).

2.8 MB for the PNG is what I get when working with a 1.500px image - which takes 2.9sec to save here.

• 8. Re: what type of image to use

some where something is not working for me and is likley to be a setting !!

When I look at html the html document is Zero kb, but the image folder contains before and after images. any suggestions on what i am doing wrong or where my system is failing to record the info.

I do want to get this working if the samples are anything to go by this has enormouse potential for all

• 9. Re: what type of image to use

any suggestions on what i am doing wrong or where my system is failing to record the info.

The infos are recorded in a ScriptingListener-logs.

Check if the ScriptingListener is installed correctly on your system - if in doubt reinstall. Also check the other threads about ScriptListener in this Forum.

• 10. Re: what type of image to use
                            Mira D Adobe Employee

Hi Alexander,

Sorry you are having so much trouble.

Can you describe how  you want to use Tutorial Builder? Are you using it in a classroom? Are you planning to post the tutorials on the Web? What kinds of workflows are you recording and trying to create as tutorials?

Thanks!

Mira

• 11. Re: what type of image to use

I belong to a photographic society and I have a blog at a college where I am learning how to use cs5 to better effect. passing on info is one of my attributes. I do hope I can get it to work as other people are. I am now going to remove Scriptlistener and re-install it and see if that works.

• 12. Re: what type of image to use

having re-installed Scriptlistener and tried again I have the following to report. I am using Miras picture of a House

1st try  load and save house with tutorial builder OK

2nd try open house and copy to new layer and save with Tutorial builder OK

in both case I opened the html using IE9 and got the following error

" Internet Explorer restricted this webpage from running scripts or Active X controls " having to allow blocked content  to continue

3rd try opened house copy to new layer use quick selection tool and paint a different colour and deselect and save with tutorial builder.

This time the html document has a ZERO KB

There seems to be something that is stopping the html document being written to, have you any suggestions as to what this could be??

• 13. Re: what type of image to use
                                  wil_li Adobe Employee

Hi Alexander. 

Just to clarify, were you able to eventually view the two HTML documents generated for the first two test tutorials that you tried?  In other words, after you received the IE9 error, did you go ahead and say "OK" to allow blocked content?  I'm just curious whether or not these simple tests actually produced correct tutorials in the end.

For the tutorials where the generated HTML document is zero KB, could you check the following?  There should be a ScriptingListenerJS.log file in the same directory as the "html" folder generated by Tutorial Builder (that is, the ScriptingListenerJS.log file is one directory up from the HTML document).  Can you check whether the size of that log file is zero?

w

• 14. Re: what type of image to use

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPGthis is sciptlistener log file 4kb

the html file is 0kb

I am sorry for the delay, i might have something wrong with my system< I will re run the test on monday am

• 15. Re: what type of image to use

The good news is I have found some weird programs which have been hogging my cpu causing all the problems. I have just tried using a PDS 15.6Mb and no problems on recording the different moves I have Made whilst recording. So the problems were my end and not yours. I appologise for any problems I might have caused anyone working on the project.

Going back to the recording I now have a question

When recording each step is recorded ie tool wise, is the the screen supposed to update each time you use a tool.

if I resize the image should it show that imaged resized before carrying on to the next step or is the program only supposed to show before and after and not what changes have been made at each step.