Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Field-level Help possible with WebHelp?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2006 Aug 29, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm trying to determine whether WebHelp supports field-level help, and between reading the online Help and the forums, I'm confused. The online help states "WebHelp window support is only available with the context-sensitive Help API." Does that mean that WebHelp doesn't officially support field-level help? I'm sure we can implement field-level help with some creative programming, but I'm not sure of the requirements.

Is the CSH API required for field-level help? Or do we need only implement the solutions described on Peter's site detailing calling WebHelp? And the RoboHelp Office TechNote Calling Topics with Two Pane View?

I appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide!
want2bewiser

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 18, 2006 Sep 18, 2006
Thanks Roger! That helps clear up some questions we had.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Sep 18, 2006 Sep 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

want2bewiser -

If you recall, field-level help was implemented by clicking on a Question mark icon on the top right in the title bar. Your cursor changed to a Question Mark and pointer, and clicking on a field, button or other control would evoke a popup.

You can duplicate that functionality, but the lions's share of the work would be on the developers. You can provide the small blurbs, but how it is called is up to them.

The API is useful if you might change topic ids often, or if you need a sort of map file, or if you just want a standard way of calling Webhelp into a certain window format. But you don't need the two-pane format instructions for 'What's This' help.

So, your developer will have to add a function to each page so that, if the user changes the cursor to a 'What's This' curson, and an object is clicked during this 'What's This' state, an explanatory popup will, um, pop up.

...Otherwise, everything behaves normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, that was a duplicate post. this forum gets sticky sometimes....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp