• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player not working in IE8 or IE9

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had been using IE9 and all of a sudden had problems on all sites with Flash.  Went to a website and was prompted to "Click to install activex control: Adobe Flash Player". When I click to install, I get the error message that the "Flash Player I am trying to install is not the latest version. Please visit the download center to get the latest version."  I do that, go to install 10.3.183.10, download, run, etc. Then I get a message saying "Newer version already installed". If I look under my installed program, that IS the version that is installed.  I uninstalled it, and then re-installed it for Firefox.  That at least works somewhat, but I've had a lot of problems with FF lately with screen freezing, not responding, etc., and I have the same problems since uninstalling & reinstalling (not saying it's a Flash Player related problem, could be something different) which is why I've been using IE.

I read about someone having a problem with IE9 and uninstalling and going back to IE8, so I did that, and here I am still having the same probem in IE8. 

HELP!

ETA:  Windows 7 Home Premium

Message was edited by: lamb616

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's try doing the following steps:

1. Download the stand alone uninstaller

2. Close all your browser windows

3. Run the uninstaller

4. Restart your computer

5. Delete the following folder, depending on your operating system type:

• Windows 32bit - c:\Windows\system32\macromed
  • Windows 64bit - c:\windows\syswow64\macromed

6. Download and install Flash Player located here:

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

couple things before I start:

1 - how do I know if it's 32 or 64 bit? When I click on About IE it says 256 bit cipher.

2 - When I search for those folders, only the 64 is found, so do I assume that answers question #1? 

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click on My Computer | Properties, and under System Type it will tell you if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit system.

As for IE: Help | About Internet Explorer, on the version line it will tell you if you are using the 64-bit edition, or if it doesn't indicate anything, then you are using the 32-bit edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, d/l the IE one and seems to be working.  Can I also download for FF or will that cause issues?  I like to have both browsers available to use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press Alt+X, click Add-ons, is the Shockwave Flash Object enabled?

Press Alt+X, pointer on Safety, is ActiveX filtering unchecked?

Press Alt+X, click Internet options, click Security, is the Security level set to Medium-high?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know others have posted their issues on this thread as well but can one of the experts answer my last question -- will I be able to download Flash for FF as well or will it conflict with what I downloaded for IE?  Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just want to tell you all and you also Carl.  I have had IE8 for awhile and then recently I was unable to view any moveable pictures and/or videos.  I uninstall adobe flash 11, reinstalled.  Uninstalled again using the uninstall tool, installed again.  I was able to view the videos using Google Chrome, but not on IE 8.  Your fix was the one that worked. 

Press Alt+X, click Add-ons, is the Shockwave Flash Object enabled?

Press Alt+X, pointer on Safety, is ActiveX filtering unchecked?

Press Alt+X, click Internet options, click Security, is the Security level set to Medium-high?

I run Vista 32-bit and after all day, viola, now can view the website in full.  Thank you for having your posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris - I tried your solution but without success... I also check the points suggested by Carl e. Myers above and they are all ok.

HP i7 PC with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

RAM 8GB

Internet Explorer 9 Version 9.0.2

Adobe Flash Player 10,3,183,10

What's next ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explain your problem with Flash player.

Duo GPU?

Driver version of the Intel HD Graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you verify you've gone through all of the steps listed in this FAQ?

Enabling Flash Player in Internet Explorer 9

Was Shockwave Flash listed in the add-ons field?  Are you using the 64-bit version of IE?

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I double checked everything again and it’s now working fine.

I still had problems with one website but it was a compatibility issue on their end. Their website was designed for older browsers.

All I had to do is to click on the compatibility view  icon next to the web site address (small "broken" rectangle).

Thanks for the help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Same problem here but Chris's post didn't solve it.

I have windows Vista, 64 bit operating system, recently downloaded IE9 (I am using the 32 bit browser) and can't use Flash player anymore. I can download it and it says it's been successful but then I can't see any video.

It works all fine when I use firefox though.

Any help please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  I'm using IE9.  I followed Chris's instructions to the letter, but without success.  The procedure reports that Flash Player has been successfully installed.  It appears in the Control Panel repair/uninstall list but not in the Start/All Programs list.  When I go to a web site requiring Flash Player, I am rejected with the message that I need the latest version.  I am fed up with this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem.  Is there any chance that you use yahoo mail?  The first sign that something was amiss occurred after yahoo switched to a new version of their mail.  Occasionally, I get a message that I am "almost there" with the prompt to upgrade to IE 9.   I already have the latest version of IE, but checked for an upgrade to be sure.  The upgrade prompt on yahoo still pops up occasionally.  IE hangs constantly, and occasionally I get a message that IE is using too much memory - but memory usage seems fine.   Now I have site that prompts me to install Adobe Flash, though I have the latest version of both Flash and Shockwave. Both Adobe Flash and Shockwave are listed in the IE add-ons.  When I switch to the Chrome browser,  the site that doesn't recognize Flash works perfectly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Win7 32bit.  Flash was working fine until last week.

FireFox is still working with flash, but IE8 would not.

I've tried all versions from 10.3 to 11.0.1.152 (latest) with no luck.

Tried restting IE to default with no luck.

Tried lowering to bare minimal security settings in IE with no luck.

Upgraded to IE9 and tried all of the above and still no luck.

And yet, FireFox is still working just fine with flash.

I've Googled for days and tried every suggestions and still no luck.

Sample site  http://www.apgsonline.com

I'm getting to think this is a Microsoft issue rather than Adobe issue.

I've been frustrated for a week trying to find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pcshare.com,

Have you taken a look at the following FAQ for IE9?  Do all those steps check out properly?

Enabling Flash Player in Internet Explorer 9

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2011 Nov 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UGH! I can't take this.  I'm the OP and STIL having the same problems.  For a while it was ok. I went back to IE8 (instead of latest version 9), and Flash version 10, and that seemed to solve the problem.  Then i started having more and more problems on sites with flash, and then finally I could no longer play my FB game (Cityville) b/c I would get the "you need to update to the latest version of Flash".  So..... I updated to Version 11, and now it crashes ALL the time and can't even go on Youtube b/c it says I need the latest version of Flash!  I HAVE THE LATEST VERSION OF FLASH!!  In other words....back to my original problem from a few months ago.   I don't know what else to do at this point.  At the moment, everything seems to be working ok in Firefox.......... but why can't I get it to work in IE?  FTR, every time I upgraded to IE9, Flash wouldn't work at all which is why I ended up just going back to IE8.  Has there been any headway made on the Flash/IE issues or do I now have to go back to using Firefox all the time? (ironic b/c when this all first started I had been using FF for years, and had to go back to IE due to the flash problems with FF).

ETA:  I just upgraded to IE9 and now when I go to flash sites, it lets them load but everything flashes all crazily (same as happened months ago).  *insert head banging smiley*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks.  In firefox, i did it and "enable accelation" is checked off.   In IE, the box is also checked, however the box flashes off and on and freezes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your graphics adaptor and graphics driver version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where to find that info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset

Intel 4 series Express Chipset family

Intel GMA X-4500

Does any of that mean anything?

Driver version: 8.15.10.1840

Driver date: 7/30/2009

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, my above post was correct. wasn't sure if that's what I was looking for.

Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset

Intel 4 series Express Chipset family

Intel GMA X-4500

Driver version: 8.15.10.1840

Driver date: 7/30/2009

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you need to update your graphics driver.  Try DriverMax.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines