• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-open DHTML dropdowns containing highlighted search result?

Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have submitted the following feature request.

Does anyone know of a script or other "trick" that will produce this result?

When returning search results in published output, automatically open DHTML dropdowns containing the highlighted search term. Otherwise, users go to the listed page but cannot see the highlighted search term. There may be many dropdowns on a single page, resulting in some inconvenience for end-users of published output.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You need to make a small change in your output file. See http://www.wvanweelden.eu/robohelp/expand_dropdowns_and_expandspots_by_default

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willam

I stand to be corrected on this, but won't that cause all drop-downs to expand for all topics? I understood the issue to be that only when a term was found inside a drop-down was when the expansion was desired. So perhaps a single page has ten drop downs and a searched term is found that occurs in one of the ten, only expand that drop-down do the term would be visible.

AFAIK this isn't possible.

As an aside, it always did strike me as odd that someone would go to all the trouble of inserting drop-downs and expands, only to later want them all presented by default when the topic was opened. Isn't the idea behind them to hide information until the user wishes to see it?

Scratching head.... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Crap, wrong link. Thanks for pointing it out Rick.

It can be done, see this page: http://www.wvanweelden.eu/robohelp/skinning_webhelp/expand_dropdowns_and_expandspots_for_search_resu...

I had created a method, but I guess I didn't check the content of the page. Sorry again. The expand by default link was actually a request from a forum member.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks – we’ll give this a try in RH9 WebHelp Pro and see how it flies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the desired behaviour would be that only the dropdown(s) containing a highlighted search result would be open by default when choosing to view that specific page from the list of search results. An acceptable alternative would be for just the hotspot itself to be highlighted in some way, so that the user can easily see which one or ones contain the search term.

Your comment on the utility of opening them all by default is one I completely agree with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp