• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Easy way to mute audio on multiple clips in PRE 10?

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the process of creating my movie and experimenting with different sound tracks, I would like to temporarily mute the audio on multiple clips, but I can’t find a convenient way to do it.  I don’t want to delete the audio as I may revert back to using it.  I am aware of two methods, however both can only be used with a single clip.  (I want to do in a single operation with multiple clips).

Method 1:           Unlink audio and video, then disable audio track.

Method 2:           Right click on clip, select Audio Gain, and set gain level to -96 db.

Both of these methods are tedious when you need to apply them to many clips, and equally so if you want to revert back to the original.

TOPICS
Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just drag the yellow horizontal audio level line down on each clip? Only takes a second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window>Audio Mixer will let you easliy toggle Mute ON/OFF quickly for each Track.

Just place different Audio on different Audio Tracks.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys - I hadn't thought of either of these toos.  Both do the job well, albeit the Audio Mixer mutes the entire track rather than selected clips.  On the other hand,  for my project (experimenting with soundtrack vs. track audio), its just what the doctor ordered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct that the Audio Mixer handles Tracks. It's the same thing with the Keyframes and adjustments made via Audio Mixer. That was why I suggested placing selected Clips on selected Tracks.

When I am doing heavy Audio work, I always use multiple Audio Tracks, as that allows me infinite control. I also change the names of those Audio Tracks so that I know exactly what's one each, say "Lake Ambience Dusk," "Loon Near," "Loon Far," Frogs," "Crickets," "Music," "Narration," etc.. Then each Track can be adjusted, precisely, and I can also add Track Keyframes, via the Audio Mixer, to adjust Volume of each Track. Since the Audio Mixer applies Track Keyframes (not Clip Keyframes), I do that as my final step, when I have completed my actual Cutting and Trimming. Next to prehaps final scoring, this set of adjustments is the last thing that I do.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2011 Nov 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Hunt - great tips!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed..Audio Mixer is the best way for handling Audio Track as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not a keyboard shortcut that I know of to mute one or more audio clips--like Command-M in ProTools. So the easiest quickest way to do the same thing is:

1. Select the audio clips you want to mute

2. Ctrl-click on one of them

3. When the drop down menu appears, you'll see "Enable" with a check-mark next to it. Click on that to remove the check-mark and "Disable" the audio clip(s).

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use the keyboard shortcut - "SHIFT E" to enable or disable a clip... you can select multiple clips at a time and it will enable or disable them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines