• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered!

Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered.

I have seen this discussed in the forum but never saw a definitive answer. Both CS3 and CS5 are doing it on my iMac running 10.6.8 w/16GB memory.

I'm losing files out the wazoo! I backup (but not every single second) and this is killing psd's, tif's and jpg.s left and right. This is obviously a known Adobe issue.

What is the fix? Can I save my files?? This started a few weeks ago. Read it was a memory thing and maxed it out but it is still killing files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is obviously a known Adobe issue.

What gives you that impression?

Do you get the message when trying to open files?

Are the files saved locally or across a network?

Could your disk be corrupted?

Please read this:

How To Get Help Quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: This is obviously a known Adobe issue.

If it is in the forums (and actually, all over the place on the web) and it is a Photoshop issue in both Windows and Mac, I just assumed is.

Saved locally and on several back-up drives.  Drives checked using Disk Utility and MacKeeper and appear fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is in the forums (and actually, all over the place on the web) and it is a Photoshop issue in both Windows and Mac, I just assumed is.

The unexpected eof could be a hardware issue or possibly owed to individual set-ups as it is not an issue that plagues all (or even an ostensible majority of) users.

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated?

As with all unexplainable Photoshop-problems you might try trashing the prefs (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed) by pressing command-alt-shift on starting the program or starting from a new user-account.

System Maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, cleaning caches, etc.) might also be beneficial, Onyx has been recommended for such tasks.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

Weeding out bad fonts never seems to be a bad idea, either. (Validate your fonts in Font Book and remove the bad ones.)

If 3rd party plug-ins are installed try disabling them to verify if one of those may be responsible for the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prefs already trashed. Maintenance performed last week (trying to fix this).

There are no fonts in the files. Could it still be a problem?

Will try Onyx and disabling plug-ins.

Will any of this save the corrupted files or are they history?

Was a time 15 years ago or more I could go in to the code (in Illustrator) and re-write some garbled code (which I found on the internet) and they would open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no fonts in the files. Could it still be a problem?

As far as I can tell: Yes. 

Will any of this save the corrupted files or are they history?

I don’t know for sure but I would expect the worst.

Have you tried opening the files in Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will not open in Preview. Says they are empty which leads me to believe they

are trashed.

I¹d like to find a way to keep this from happening again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines