Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Typekit account for registered font folio owners

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would like to request that owners of font folio be given a free permanent typekit account so that those purchased fonts can be used on the web as well as in images, and on physical media.

I purchased a single user licence of font folio 11 this year and it's hugely disappointing that I can't use these fonts on the web. Of course many companies will have paid thousands of pounds for font folio and they should clearly have full access to these fonts for web usage. I will soon be a freelance web designer and this would emmencly help myself and all the graphic/web designers out there.

I'm aware that Adobe have recenlty purchased typekit and that some of those fonts which we have received in font folio are now available in the service. I believe it sends out the wrong message that users who pirate Adobe's fonts and use them on the web with the @fontface method will continue to do so and people who have paid out a significant amount of money to legally use the fonts are being limited/penalised.

As a request can those users who have registered their font folio be given a free permanent typekit account?

Further to this is would be a fantastic service to have ALL of the font folio fonts available on typekit for the law obiding purchaser to use.

Many thanks

Phil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil, thanks for the suggestion. Great idea, and we will give it some serious thought here. Keep in mind that not all Adobe fonts on Font Folio are currently available on Typekit, although the collection is still growing. So it's not a perfect solution but your point is well taken.

Regards,

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it would be a solution. Designers long term wish to use @fontface method of embedding fonts into a website. I'm aware that this 'downloads' the font to the users machine so this is why you don't allow that technique. Is there anyway adobe could support this method from say a typekit server without the user being able to keep the file? Maybe attach an expiry on the file so as soon as the browser session is over - the file deletes? and if a user attempts to copy the file before the browser session is closed the file won't work outside of the "temp" folder. Or use some other technique?

There are other methods of embedding your font's into a webpage - cufon and flash embedding being one, but the quality is lacking, it's not any use for search engines presenting this "hacky" way and apparantly someone has hacked one of these methods so that the initial file can be re-constructed, and the user ends up with an accurate represention of the font. Anybody who is going to download and keep the font will probably pirate font folio and have all of you're fonts illegally anyway, so it's only your legal customers suffering from the restrictions.

@fontface is the future - it would be in Adobe's benefit to find a solution to this. If not for your sake then for you're customers.

Have any techniques of serving the fonts using the @fontface method from a typekit server been discussed, like an expiry date of the file served?

Many thanks

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there anyway adobe could support this method from say a typekit server without the user being able to keep the file?"

It sounds like what you're describing is how Typekit works today. But perhaps I misunderstand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's super news if typekit works like that. I thought it was some canvas, js or flash based tech. Do you think it would be possible to forward the account request for all fontfolio owners to the relevant manager?

It would be great if this could happen.It would encourage web & graphic designers to purchase the font folio if a premium typekit account comes as part of the deal.

Many thanks for replying

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil, I am the relevant manager (one of them); sorry to not mention that earlier. Go check out Typekit... you can sign up for a free account and get started immediately. It utilizes @font-face and all the relevant web standards -- along with some magic of its own.

Regards,

Christopher

Technical Product Manager, Type

Adobe Systems, Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just signed up to have a look around typekit. It looks fantastic, however the fonts i want to use are not included in the free version.

My favourite fonts are ITC Avant Garde, Futura, Helvetica, Americana, Clarendon LT... I think most designers would appreciate some of these commonly used fonts. It would be nice to add some of these fonts to the typekit package.

So in summary there's already a service offering the tech - minus some essential design fonts. What about a typekit package called font-folio owners? This gives full access to all fonts that have been purchased. Probably worth mentioning while i'm here that I don't think designers are aware that a single user licence of font folio can be purchased. I phoned up Adobe direct to ask if you had any plans to release one, much to my surprise you'd just started offering the deal.

I don't think it would do any harm if you promoted the single user licence on adobe.com and typekit.com - from scouring the internet forums freelance designers are unaware and would love it.

Sorry about the manager comment, I didn't realise you were one. Since you have the influence to make this happen what about that font folio package on typekit or full access to professional typekit package?

Edit: Also just noticed a pre-existing feature of importing purchased fonts - maybe this method would be quicker and easier to implement a font folio option?

I'm excited about the potential of typekit now.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris, do you think it is probable that a import font folio fonts will be added under > browser fonts > purchased fonts? I apologise if I sound eager, however I'm about to start a freelance web business and having this as an option for me would be a wonderful help just at the right time.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phil. Sorry, we can't comment on future product plans. Thanks again, though, for your input.

-Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is the Adobe ID now working with Typekit the first stage in integrating the services? I hope so. Would be fantastic to see Adobe users being able to benefit from their purchases online in services like Typekit.

I keep looking for that Adobe foundry "Font Folio" option on https://typekit.com/fonts?collection=purchased for users who have purchased font folio.

I live in hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines