• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader keeps downloading: http://acroipm.adobe.com/10/rdr/ENU/win/nooem/none/message.zip

Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya

Our security analyst pointed out that Adobe Reader is constantly downloading this file:

http://acroipm.adobe.com/10/rdr/ENU/win/nooem/none/message.zip

I've already disabled all updates on Adobe Reader through the Adobe Customization Tool.

Any idea how to disable this constant file download? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2011 Oct 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is part of the Adobe Approved Trust List program. It seems that, when Reader X starts, it downloads this file from an Adobe server. The zip file contains 3 files, the largest of which is signatures.xml, which unsurprisingly appears to contain details for a number of X509 certificates.

You can control this behaviour by selecting "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu and then going to the "Trust Manager" section. Here you can enable/disable loading these certificates, control whether Reader will ask you before updating and manually update now.

We recently upgraded about 100 Windows PCs to Reader X. Since then I can see frequent accesses to this URL in our logs - and since most of our PCs are restricted in their Internet access, most of the accesses are blocked. ZoneAlarm on my laptop has been alerting me to Reader trying to access the network every time it starts. When I un-ticked "Load trusted root certificates...", this stopped happening. I was also experiencing frequent crashes of Reader X when closing the program. Those have now stopped as well.

Packed size of the zip file is (currently) about 34KB, so I am going to whitelist this URL - it's easier than working out how to turn the functionality off for 100+ machines! However, it may be possible to do something using Group Policy. I already have a custom GP template to disable Acrobat Javascript across the company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can control this behaviour by selecting "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu and then going to the "Trust Manager" section. Here you can enable/disable loading these certificates, control whether Reader will ask you before updating and manually update now.

Turns out I was wrong. Disabling updates has no effect on the download of the file in question. See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/754932 for more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines