• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project Size and Multiple CHMs

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for some information on the affects/dangers of large projects and the feasability of breaking up a large project into several smaller ones and linking them together.

From time to time, we experience significant speed issues when loading and editing topics.  How much does project size affect this? At what point does a project's size become "dangerous"? Can a project get so big that is damages itself (i.e., corrupts files, etc), or does it just reach a point where it won't compile anymore?

We use RoboHelp 7 HTML, but are considering upgrading to Robo 9 and also to Windows 7 (64-bit, I believe). We use Sourcesafe. Certainly moving the project to a faster machine would speed things up, but I'm wondering if we'd still want to break up the project into smaller projects to improve speed and ensure the project does not get too big.

Our project has 1767 topics. We have begun to add more graphics to topics, although the overall number of graphics is small.  We generate CHM and webhelp. The CHM is 13.8 megs. The folder for the compiled webhelp is 61 megs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2011 Dec 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would not have thought that size of project should cause performance issues. I have some projects with over twice that number of topics and a fair number of graphics.

I would start investigating by taking a copy of the project out of source control and trying it on a different machine with reasonable performance. I think this is more an environment issue rather than one of project size.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp