1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 3:59 PM by RjL190365

To build or upgrade

videoeditingmike Level 1

Our Core2duo quad system is showing signs of dismay with CS5.5  (wasn't much better with CS4)

(not responding errors, crashes during export, real-time playback jitters (HDV/MP4 (Canon 7d or AF100)), and depending upon the project hourly crashes of Premiere with basic usage (for example, click the sequence or basically any action can cause Premiere to freeze and often the whole computer).

(8gig ram, 9600 GT PSU, Win7 64 bit, HD Element RAID5 4TB, not sure of the mobo)

I'm thinking a new system might be an improvement, although it is hard to definitively say if any one component is to blame - the replacement of which might improve performance.

Here's what I'm thinking:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core

ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M4A1333C9

________

I know these hardware related threads are subject to opinion, but me and our computer guy are seeking some opinions before sinking money into the problem if that is not the answer - I'd hate to build a new system and still have stability issues.

Thanks for any ideas you may have

Mike Cohen

• 1. Re: To build or upgrade
          RjL190365 Level 4

Mike,

Although the i5-2500K would be a significant improvement over your current system, it is still merely competitive with the lowest of the first-generation Bloomfield i7-9xx CPUs such as the i7-920 or i7-930 when it comes to performance in PPro CS5.5. When heavily overclocked, the i5-2500K is only about as fast as an i7-2600(K) at the latter CPU's stock speed. It is a case of "Why stop there when a little more money buys you so much faster?". That Core 2 Quad-based system that you currently have is so sluggish in CS5.5 that any upgrades or even repairs to it would be a total waste of money, especially since that platform is all but EOL'd these days (the only motherboards that are currently available new for LGA 775 all use the really cheapo G41 chipset, which supports neither RAID nor AHCI at all and supports a maximum of only four SATA devices total).

In other words, go for an i7-2600K or i7-2700K instead of the i5-2500K since PPro CS5.5 takes significant advantage of the four additional threads offered by the i7's HyperThreading feature. The i5-2500K is a quad-core CPU with no HyperThreading, so it's limited to only four threads.

Also, since you have an external RAID 5, be aware that it is really suitable only as a media source drive or a backup drive. This is because it relies entirely on a single eSATA 3 Gbps connection, which has a maximum practical throughput of only about 270 MB/s. That is within the throughput of many single two-disk internal aid0 ("RAID 0") SATA pairs. It would be even slower had you used USB 2.0, which is limited in sequential transfers to around 25 to 30 MB/s.

Hope this helps,

Randall