Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Facebook videos won't play

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

I have a very strange problem since last night after I upload a video of mine on FB.

Everyone else can watch the video except me.

Both on my macs flash player stopped playing FB videos when I click on.

If it is a youtube shared video I have to visit youtube in order to watch it.

Games that use flash player are working just fine

On Youtube everything is working fine.

I get this on facebook

Flash Player upgrade required
You must download and install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player to view this content

I have uninstall FPlayer and install the latest version for PowerPc with no luck several times using the right method.

I have repair permissions on every install.

G4 macs

Flash player 10,1,102,64 installed

Safari 4.1.3,Firefox,Omniweb.

Thank you very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have 3rd-party Flash content allowed at http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/se ttings_manager03.html ?

ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ

yes I have it enabled.

It is strange that everything stopped working just like that.

My friends PC running windows has   10,3.,83,5 version installed which is not the latest  (11.1.102.55) and everything is working fine!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just came across this issue last night on Facebook.  Installed the latest Adobe Flash Player (11) but it did not resolve the issue.as I still get the "Flash Player Upgrade Required ..." 

Everything was fine last week.  Any updates/solutions anyone??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues.. I have Uninstalled Flash and reinstalled it but it fails at about 90% completion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same problem here and it's quite irritating because I use Facebook for networking for my record label and now no Flash content works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is because Facebook is running a script that checks the version of Flash Player, and if it's not the most current version, it gives the error message that you need to upgrade your Flash Player instead of offering the embedded video. A possible solution would be if we could hack our old PPC version 10.1.102.64 so that it identifies itself as the current version 11.1.102.55 to fool Facebook into thinking we've got the most current version. The only other alternative is to wait for Facebook to change it's scripts so that there's an exception for PPC Macs. You could also purchase a new Intel Mac, but . . . this is crazy to write off tens of millions of PPC Macs for no good reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled flash player and reinstalled 10.1.102.64 like you said and

it's still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm dealing with the same issue, running OS 10.4.11 on a last generation G5 PPC. The latest version of Flash i can install is 10.1 which no longer works on facebook. Got only knows when they start making it obsolete on youtube as well. I would LOVE to upgrade to an intel Mac but don't have an extra suitcase of cash laying around!! If anyone comes across a hack to install 10.2 or above on a PPC please do tell. There are hacks for running FCP 7 on a G5 (dual 2.5ghz and above) so ..why not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't really understand is why this issue is only mac related.

Why on Pc, running windows with 10,3.,83,5v flash player videos on facebook are working ,allthought last version is 11.1.102.55?

Does facebook scans and the Os that everyone is using too?

Thas very odd!!!

ps:The comments about we should upgrade to Intel are hilarious!!!I dont want right now because i don't have the money to upgrade to an Intel just to watch facebook videos and later youtube too!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the upgrade force is more than just new versions of flash, it's effecting more and more things (apps, platforms, functionality etc) as the months/years pass. It's an intel-based Mac world now. If one doesn't have the money to upgrade (ala myself) they are screwed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello i think in my case it's deffrent aaafter the upgrade to flashplayer 11 all the braoers in my pc can't run flash always crashing and i have IE9 + firefox 8 + chrome + safari , i'm running win7 i ried to remove and intall it again to use , also the realplayer can't play any *.flv  file proprely , we need serious help plz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already has the option to save data enabled to the be unlimited and still no video is playing and the games is working fine on flash player 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys i don't know what happened but everything is running fine facbook clips , youtube , games on face book  and pc .flv file. and i'm runnint falsh 11.1 , what i did just simple restart.

today how ever turning the pc praying everything is still working ok guys but nothing is working just like before ...WTF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear friends,

please keep this threat clean!!!!!

It's ONLY about G4 PPC, 10.4.11  osx and flash player 10,1,102,64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I was so frustrated I contacted an Adobe rep directly and this was his answer:

"This is because Facebook is running a script that checks the version of Flash Player, and if it's not the most current version, it gives the error message that you need to upgrade your Flash Player instead of offering the embedded video. A possible solution would be if we could hack our old PPC version 10.1.102.64 so that it identifies itself as the current version 11.1.102.55 to fool Facebook into thinking we've got the most current version. The only other alternative is to wait for Facebook to change it's scripts so that there's an exception for PPC Macs. You could also purchase a new Intel Mac, but . . . this is crazy to write off tens of millions of PPC Macs for no good reason."

- Kris Tilford-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prophetika,

this "answer" has allready been given by the same person in this threat.It's one reply bellow your first one.

Its not really an answer to my problem.

Isn't there any official solution from Adobe or even Facebook?

Come on guys!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for dell and had issues with this version of flash player also. 10.3 worked perfect so thats your resolution!! install the older version. you had mentioned the REPAIR install and CURRENT version so i dont want to give information if i missed something, but i didnt see you tried this step? its gauranteed to work though!

heres the link!: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909550 good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are all these posts that are completely unrelated to the original post?

The problem is really at Facebook; they require a Flash Player version that is not supported by Power PC and OSX 10.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem....I uninstalled the 11.1 version and went back to the old version 10.3 and now my videos are playing.  You can get the old version here. 

[link removed] - only download installers from the Adobe site http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

Good luck!  We'll have to upgrade back when Facebook updates their scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone receive any information from Facebook on this? Forums there are no help. Not sure if it would do any good contacting Facebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2012 Feb 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with all of you, I have the same problem with FB. I have Tiger on PPC G5 and can't even view my own videos that I upload to FB. I have downloaded and installed 10.1.102.64 just in case and tried again. No dice.

I confronted FB through email (I had kept their "welcome to FB" email) and also on their bugs page. Needless to say, they never answered me, nor have I seen an indication they are trying a fix. I'm not surprised because they still have an outstanding bug that they have been "fixing" for 8 months now. (I can't update anything on my profile/family/friends). They don't want you to contact them - I never found another way of doing it.

Lets face it. FB, Adobe, and Apple don't care about us. They are all aware by now there is a problem; they would fix it if they cared.

If ALL of the PPC Mac owners would ban together and flood the internet pages of the big three with our ire, maybe they would realize there are more of us than they think. I paid mega bucks for my mac and I won't be blackmailed into buying something I don't need. For now I just use YouTube. I've also asked my FB friends who post direct videos to either put them on YouTube or send me a copy made for emailing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2012 Feb 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FOLLOW UP:

I went to the Apple forum and found something that might just help all of you. I now get FB videos on both my Safari and my Firefox with my Mac OS X 10.4.1 PPC G5. Try this link and see what Texas Mac man had to say.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16093782#16093782

I love it when the small guy wins on occasion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines