Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 11 not compatible with Mac OS X 10.5

Nov 05, 2011 Nov 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received an Update notification from Adobe system - to update Adobe Flash Player but the Update download doesn't specify what version of Flash Player this would install. When I clicked on "See Details" it took me to an Adobe page that does not SPECIFICALLY address the issue of which version of Flash player this Update notice would install. Unfortunately, I had previously choose to install this UNKNOWN version update and it totally screwed up all Flash videos that I attempted to view. I caused a rapid blinking or flashing of the video then crashed the browser (both, Firefox and Safari). Only after a lot of further research did I discover that Adobe's latest Flash Player Update installed version 11 and version 11 is reported (by Adobe) to be compatible with Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7+.  I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8. The Flash installer should have detected the OS version that my computer is running (but obviously it did not!!!). I had to spend more of my valuable time to UN-install Flash Player version 11 and then RE-install version 10.3.183.10. Everything is fine now.............but why is Adobe sending out Updates for Flash Player that: #1 - do not specify what version this Update will be installing and #2 (and more significantly) - why doesn't the Update installer detect the operating system on a computer and if NOT COMPATIBLE, cancel the installation? This is a ridulous and time consuming situation caused by Adobe Systems.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

chris.campbell wrote:

I just added a new FAQ that describes why you're getting prompted for an update and what we're doing to minimize the noise.

Why does Flash Player prompt me to install an incompatible version on Mac?

Chris

Where does the REAL Adobe Flash Player live???  iMac Intel Core 2 Duo - Using Mac, OS X 10.5.8   Using Adobe CS4.  In seaching for the REAL version of Flash player, I find:

1.  HD > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Flash Player > Flash Player.plugin (version 10.0.2.54

the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are sorry to cause you a trouble and take your time. It must have been a bug in script for our download site. I'm sure we fixed this parcitular issue already but if you encounter same problem again, please let us know through this forum. Thank you for using Flash Player! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem too!  BUT after uninstalling (I'm not sure which version)  I cannot get a new or old or any flashplayer to install!  Bug not fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this problem.  There seems to be no downloadable Adobe flashplayer compatible with a Mac OS X 10.5.8 (non Intel).  Can you please help me solve this problem?

Pete

pb007s3135@blueyonder.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok i have a mac power pc g5 that had tiger 10.4.11 and started a mission i downloaded 10.5.1 leopard made an iso and installed it now updated to 10.5.8 i went to my safari and found it was outdated so i found 5.0.6 safari and found it wont support flash 11 after hours of research i found you check your version here https://www.adobe.com/swf/software/flash/about/flashAbout_info_small.swf then make a folder on your desktop for later preserving the installed version you have now...  i named mine old flash... then i downloaded 11 this exact version.... You have version 11,1,102,55 installed...... thats the new version i have running on my power pc mac proceed to find the folder in system and replace the flash player in your system folder...keeping the 10.whatever in a safe folder in case it doesnt work for some reason.....restart and presto you have flash 11 working on your power pc....had to share considering everyone says its impossible mine works just fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Flash Player 11 is not supported on Mac OS version 10.4 (Tiger) and 10.5 (Leopard). The latest version of Flash Player available on these Mac OS versions is 10.3"

This is just unbelievable. "Develop once, deploy everywhere" no more...

And, as a consequence, this mean i have to target 2 differents express install process, one for Mac OS (up to 10.3) and one for Windows OS

Ouch.

Mike

http://www.deja-vue.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so do you know where to download flashplayer 10.3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

Easiest place to get Flash Player for Mac OS 10.5 is: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

There are following FAQ which must help you to uninstall and install 10.3.

uninstall

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/889574?tstart=0

10.3 installer

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/889580?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just added a new FAQ that describes why you're getting prompted for an update and what we're doing to minimize the noise.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chris.campbell wrote:

Chris

Where does the REAL Adobe Flash Player live???  iMac Intel Core 2 Duo - Using Mac, OS X 10.5.8   Using Adobe CS4.  In seaching for the REAL version of Flash player, I find:

1.  HD > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Flash Player > Flash Player.plugin (version 10.0.2.54

then............

2.  HD > Library > Internet Plug-ins > Flash Player.plugin (version 10.3.183.10)

then

3.  HD > Applications > Adobe FlashCS4 > Players > Release > Flash Player.app (version 10.0.2.54)

So the question once again is, where does the REAL, ACTUAL, CURRENT version of Adobe Flash Player reside?  (behind door No. 1, door No. 2 or door No. 3)??????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Chris/all, so… what is the correct version of the player to use on a PPC Mac under OS 10.5.8 (the latest OS a PPC Mac can run)? And what's the deal with embedded videos on Facebook no longer working for some of us?

This page http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/908/cpsid_90893.html says, "If you have Mac OS version 10.3 or earlier, or your Mac does not have an Intel processor, do not download the latest Flash Player version. See Archived Flash Player versions."

The "Archived Flash Player versions" page http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html says, "Mac OS X, 10.4+ —For PowerPC processors: most recent Flash Player 10.1 "

I don't know how to interpret "10.4+" for sure, but I would think it includes OS 10.5.x. Yet, Macnut44's post above seems to say that I could run the 10.3.183.11 version of Flash Player under OS 10.5.8.

I have been doing OK for a while with 10.1.102.64, but now I have the Facebook problem. I'm wondering if upgrading to 10.3.183.11 would eliminate that.

I'd just go ahead and try it, if not for the fact that my Power Mac G5 has never seemed very happy with Adobe stuff. Adobe Air almost killed it a while back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled my flashplayer 10.1.? to update and still can't get ANY older version to install.  This is making me nuts!  JUst tried to install 10.1.102.64 again and install failed at 95% complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your Mac is with Power PC:

The latest support player version is 10.1.102.64 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/895134?tstart=0

If your Mac is with Intel and OS is 10.4 ~ 10.5:

The latest support player version is 10.3.183.11

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/895134?tstart=0

I hope this crarify the info here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helpful but not a complete answer.  - you didn't answer this question:

then............

2.  HD > Library > Internet Plug-ins > Flash Player.plugin (version 10.3.183.10)

then

3.  HD > Applications > Adobe FlashCS4 > Players > Release > Flash Player.app (version 10.0.2.54)

So the question once again is, where does the REAL, ACTUAL, CURRENT version of Adobe Flash Player reside?  (behind door No. 1, door No. 2 or door No. 3)??????

............and you didn't provide a link for people as to where to go to download version 10.1.102.64.    Here is the link for those interested - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2012 Feb 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did download the 10.1.102.64 for my Tiger and guess what IT STILL WON'T WORK WITH FB!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facebook has disabled support for this version of Flash Player.  I know that some users have taken this into their own hands and around this issue using modified versions of the player.  I'll continue to bring this issue up to our management team, but at this point I'm not very optimistic.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't blame facebook for a fail from your company (or if it is not a fail, just assume that your company neglect users of MacOS 10.5)

Facebook is not alone, many video online simply use the latest versions of Adobe to show their videos, and certainly do not expect that updating their system will cut them from a large audience. The absence of solution from Adobe, will only drive Facebook and other online publishers to quit a system where they cannot reach a full audience, because as mentionned above, it is doubtful that in a near future all users of MacOS 10.5 will upgrade their system as most computers equipped with this OS still have a reasonnable lifespan.

On my side, well I will not dye not to see a few videos online, but it clearly shows me a company that shows not much consideration for end users, and when choosing between equivalent illustrating products this will clearly play a role. Of course, a strong reaction of Adobe to correct this issue would also send a strong signal, unfortunately I doubt it will happen before I have to choose for my softwares suites. But I am certainly not alone in this situation...

Or... Adobe assumes to think that OSX10.5 user are economically negligible, which might be the truth, ad in which case assuming this decision publicly would be appreciated, so we know immediately that we should find other solutions (and companies who want to reach OSX10.5 public know it also...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did download FP v10.3.183.18 but I continue to receive Up Date Alerts from Adobe telling me to update Flash Player ***** First and foremost Adobe does not indicate WHAT VERSION these Up Dates notifications are referring to. This is much like receiving an email from an unknown source telling one they need to Up Date to the latest version of virus XXX.

Where has my logic gone wrong?  Let's see: #1 - my iMac Intel is running Mac OS X 10.5.8.  #2 - Adobe Flash Player 11+ is NOT COMPATIBLE with OS X 10.5.8.   #3 - I keep receiving notices from Adobe telling me to Up Date Adobe Flash Player (but does not tell me what version this Up Date installer is going to install).  #4 - Adobe "management" apparently is not too (or not concerned at all) whether one of their products, if installed, totally screws up thousands of customer's computers..............one hell' ov a way to run a  business! Evidently Adobe is of the opinion that they are "so big and powerful" to hell with a few thousand people whose computers got screwed up because they unknownly installed a piece of their software.  Adobe needs to take a few lessons from Apple Computer. Apple (so far) still values their customers and still realizes "customers" are living, breathing human beings. Apple didn't get to be the biggest (in revenues) computer manufacturer by treating people like "numbers".............they got where they are by providing THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE in the world!  A valuable lessen Adobe Systems should learn........  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macnut44 wrote:

I did download FP v10.3.183.18 but I continue to receive Up Date Alerts from Adobe telling me to update Flash Player ***** First and foremost Adobe does not indicate WHAT VERSION these Up Dates notifications are referring to. This is much like receiving an email from an unknown source telling one they need to Up Date to the latest version of virus XXX.

If you are receiving email notifications about Flash Player updates; these are not from Adobe, but most likely spam or malware.

If you receive update notifications from the installed Flash Player, then you can simply disable the notifications at http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager05.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read this thread and I am still dead in the water.

1. I try to watch Hulu, I get told I must install 11.
  2. Finish that & it of course fails.
  3. I uninstall, reinstall 10 that DID work.
  4. I carefully turn OFF the auto update
  5. Go to Step 1, do not pass Go

I see the mention of a comand line install, but where do I find a 10,5 "flash.exe" file???

[I note Adobe's color is red, just like a Star Trek redshirt...]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

I don't know which OS you have, but the newest for my Tiger 10.4.1, was Flash Player 10.1.102.64, which I got off of Adobe's download site. (Under old versions/flash player downloads). You might want to verify if your SO is newer.

Hope it works for you. I know it made my life loads better. Getting the hack, I can now use Safari and Firefox both on FB and Hulu.

Sherrie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem getting Flash to work. I don't have 10.5; I have 10.4.1 Tiger and a PPC. I can tell you what I did and it worked. It will probably work for 10.5 as well. 

Forget getting support from Apple, their greed is outweighing what used to be a great company. Other people are in the same boat with PowerPCs, and they have the knowledge to do something about it. I found one.

There is a hack that can be installed that tricks Flash into thinking it is the current update. I now get FB, hula and others that were lost to me.

I found this in an Apple support communities forum from "Texas Mac Man" - it worked beautifully for my Tiger. The man does ask, that if you are happy with the hack, you make a donation. Believe me I gave one!

Download this http://www.steelbin.com/FPforFBPPC.zip to your desktop, unzip it, and replace the current Flash Player plug-in which is in your main/Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder, (not the user Library). Save the old one just in case this one doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Campbell wrote:

Chris

On my Intel 10.5 I followed:

1. A user of an unsupported OS will get a notification that a new update is available
  2. They'll download the update and attempt to install
  3. The installer will notice that the OS is not supported and will:
    1. Alert the user with an error telling them that the OS is unsupported
    2. Set a flag telling the update mechanism to stop checking for future updates

So while you'll get one update notification, once the installer tells the auto update mechanism to stop you shouldn't see any more.

Re: 1. -- It's more like "YOU SHALL install 11, NOW; there's no choice.

But shouldn't  does not mean "won't" at least for me. I get nailed with the forced update attempt/failure EVERY loop through the process. So Flash is DOA for me on Firefox, Opera & Safari.

Why not give the user the option to decline the now-forced borked installation? Or is Adobe just going to blow off users of 10.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you not ignore the update notification when it occurs?  This shouldn't be happening, but I'm surprised that you say it's forced.  Maybe you could explain what you're seeing, screenshots would also help.

You are on 10.3, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines