14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2012 8:19 AM by kglad

Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap

j9lemmon Level 1

I need to export large bitmaps from Flash CS3 and CS5. I'm finding that about 4120 x 4120 pixels is the largest bitmap I can export. If I try to go bigger, Flash clips off the bottom and right portions of the image.

This occurs whether I set to export to Full Document Size or Minimum Image area.

I've mostly tested this in CS3, but it occurs in CS5 too.

Any advice on a workaround is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

here are details about bitmap limits:  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/496/cpsid_49662.html

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap
            j9lemmon Level 1

Thanks kglad, this was helpful, but this answer applies to viewing a bitmap in Flash Player. I'm trying to export a bitmap that I can open in Adobe After Effects.

I'm still finding the max width I can export is 4080 pixels.

Any other thoughts?

• 3. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap

experiment.  do you notice the same limits apply to your situation as the limits in that kb article?

• 4. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap
                j9lemmon Level 1

Yes, I did experiment and those limits did not apply. For instance, I exported an image and specified 4641 wide; the image exported was 4641 wide, but it only showed the stage color on the right fifth of the image - the right 20% of the actual image that was on the stage was clipped off during export.

Thanks...

• 5. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap

are you publishing for fp 10+?  if yes, then the limits in that article apply and specifying one dimension is inadequate to detemine whether a bitmap will be problematic or not.

if no, then the 2880x2880 limit applies. 

• 6. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap
                    j9lemmon Level 1

Thanks for the continued advice, kglad.

My Flash CS3 will only publish up through Flash Player 9, so I did this additional test using CS5, set to Flash Player 10.

I created a document that was half the size of the 4641 x 3615 size I'm aiming for. Then in Publish settings I specified 4641 x3615 (which is one of the sizes that the KB article says is possible). When I exported I got the same result: the PNG is 4641 x 3615 but the right 1/5th of the image is clipped off. The image is clipped at X =  4080, which is conistent with my finding that Flash will not export an image larger than 4080 x 4080 (at least in my experience).Only the stage color goes all the way to the right.

I get the same result whether I publish through Publish Settings, or by using File > Export > Export Image.

I'd love to know if any can export a PNG larger than 4080 x 4080.

Thanks again...

• 7. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap

i just exported a 5000x3615 png using cs5.  i opened it in ms paint and it's all there.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap
                        j9lemmon Level 1

Thanks for doing that test. It's great to know it's doable. Now I just have to figure what's wrong with my particular installation of Flash CS5.

So you created an image on the stage and that image was 5000 x 3615 and it was all visible in Paint? That's great, because it's a larger size than the KB said was possible.

I just did a similar test using CS5 on my laptop and I got the same clipping. The laptop is Windows 7 and the desktop is XP, so it's not something with the operating system.

Can you think of anything that might cause this issue on two different computers. (Both are set to export to FP 10.) Should I dump preferences on both machines? Or re-intall Flash on both?

Thanks...

• 9. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap

i don't really understand why i was able to exceed the limits explained in that kb article but all i did was create a 5000x3615 rectangle (with a color gradient so i could check if it was was exported correctly), click file/export/export image and selected png as file type.

• 10. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap
                            j9lemmon Level 1

Thanks for this additional information, kglad. I'll do some more investigating on this.

• 11. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap
                              j9lemmon Level 1

I've done more testing on this, along with 2 friends. We both continue to have the images truncated by Flash CS3 and CS5; we can't export a bitmap larger than about 4100 x 4100. Here's an exported image that should be 5000x5000 but everything beyond about 4100x4100 is just the background color. This result is consistent with the Adobe KB article that kglad posted above, which states that there's a limit of 4095x4095 pixels for a square bitmap  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/496/cpsid_49662.html

But I'd love to know if there is a way around this, perhaps using CS5.5. Thanks for any advice.

Test_exportSize_v07_rect_5000.png

• 12. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap
                                j9lemmon Level 1

Here's an exported image that's rectangular. The FLA document size is 1000 pixels width and 563 height. Again, exporting the image truncated the width to about 4100. This is NOT consistent with the KB article mentioned above; according to the KB article, all of this image should display. It would be great if someone from Adobe could comment on this.

Test_exportSize_v08_rect_5000w.png

• 13. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap
                                  j9lemmon Level 1

I got an answer from the Flashkit forum that may shed light on this. Sounds like the reason I'm having this issue (and my 2 friends) is that we only have 2 GB of ram. KGLAD, I'm wondering if you have 4 gb or more of ram.

When I get a new computer, I'll probably go for 8 gb - Flash seem so to need lots of Ram.

• 14. Re: Can't export 8000 x 8000 bitmap

interesting.  i have 12gb of ram (courtesy of one of my clients).