• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting a file but the page is a blank pdf..

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Im having trouble exporting my document at the moment. I do the usual file, export, save etc.. then when i open the pdf it is just a an almost blank page with everything missing.

This has never happened before. Could it be because I have overlapped too many shapes on top of one another? And this is causing them not to show up? I shtere a limit on how many or something?

Very confused..

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You "open the PDF" -- is that with Acrobat (any recent version), or by any chance with Apple Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the background export task actually completed? This is new in CS5/5.5, and can cause some confusion. The progress bar is gone, but you can monitor the export process by observing the icon of scrolling horizontal lines on the application bar to the right of the menus. In my opinion, the best way to check PDFs is to set them to open automatically after export is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

strawberry screen drop.jpgstrawberry pdf screen drop.jpg

So above is the file im tring to export (a strawberry)

And below the pdf.. only one small pink circle from the strawbeerys face appears...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does it look using the latest Acrobat Reader? (Which is free, by the way.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the same, all of the object have dissapeared.. Is it because I have too many of them overlapping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, you actually have tried viewing this in Adobe's free Acrobat reader, not just the third-party viewer shown or Mac Preview? Many non-Adobe viewers are not up to the task of properly displaying the sort of complex PDF that you can create in ID using trnasparency, effects, blending modes, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I was just excluding the possibility it could be your viewer.

I see your strawberry image is a PSD. Rather than attempting to find out what exactly goes wrong where (it could be InDesign, Photoshop, this particular file, a combination of effects in this particular file, or Just Bad Luck), does it work correctly when you flatten and re-save the image from Photoshop? (Do take care not to overwrite your original image, though.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have opened the pdf in adobe acrobat x pro and it looks the same aswel..?

As for the strawberry, the shape i did in photoshop and then i have added the face with various object shapes in indesign that i have placed over the top..there are quite a number of these..

When i save the strawberry in photoshop (it is only one layer) as apdf it opens fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so it can't just be the viewer. Back to my first question though, is the export task actually completed in ID? Do you have your export settings check to open the PDF after export, or are you opening it yourself?

What version of ID are you using, and what patch level?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If  you go to View>overprint preview what does the document look like in indesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It opens in pdf complete special addition and during the exporting process i have ticked the box somewhere it says to open pdf after exporting, which is still blank. Is this what you mean?

The version od indesign is CS5.5, in not sure what the patch level is exactly to answer this sorry?

And in the overprint preview the strawberry is there and looking its happy self as it should. . .?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

becky1131 wrote:

It opens in pdf complete special addition and during the exporting process i have ticked the box somewhere it says to open pdf after exporting, which is still blank. Is this what you mean?

If by that you mean that you've ticked the box to open after export, and when it opens it's blank, yes. You would be better off, though, opening PDF in Acrobat Pro since you seem to have that.

To check the patch level you can go to the InDesign menu (think that's where it is on Mac, but it might be under the Help menu), then hold down the CMD key and select About InDesign, which should bring up a detailed dialog. The latest version of CS5.5 is 7.5.2.318, which you should see on the upper left. (the .318 is the build number and not listed anywhere else when you go to look for updates and is not really important -- 7.5.2 IS build 318 and it's the 7.5.2 that is important).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to check if ther's a problem with background export, creat a Book file (File > New > Book...) and add this document to it. Then from the Book panel menu choose Export Book to PDF. Book export still happens in the foreground.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, it is good practice to "Flatten Image" before saving a PSD file as a PDF. I'd suggesting first selecting all layers, (Select > All) and then with all the layers selected choose "Layer > Flatten Image". Now, try saving the flattened PSD file as a PDF, and you should see that it works. If not, a few other things may be in play...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seacoastcreative wrote:

Generally, it is good practice to "Flatten Image" before saving a PSD file as a PDF.

That is not only incorrect but horrible advice. It will leave you with a file that can't be edited if need be.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seacoastcreative wrote:

Generally, it is good practice to "Flatten Image" before saving a PSD file as a PDF.

That kind of defeats the purpose of saving as Photoshop PDF, which is to preserve live text and other vector content and to preserve layers and transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK gentlemen, my apologizies...I just don't see the reason why you'd want to change a PSD file into a PDF. But I am a web developer and less a designer. PDFs mutability can be tricky and time consuming. Anyway, here is another thing to try:

first you export your layers as separate files. second you create a pdf form the separate documents. for example in PS:

1. File/Scripts/Export Layers to Files...

2. File/Automate/PDF Presentation...

i'm sure there is an easier way to do this, will post it if I'll think of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read Peter's response for the reason never to do what you proposed.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all of the objects on the same layer? (Specifically is the object that IS showing up on the PDF on the same layer as the ones that are not being output?) Is it possible that one or more layers or objects has been accidentally set to non-printing? Have you printed this page out on an actual printer and does the strawberry show up correctly there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a problem of certain layers not printing. Right clicked on the layer > Layer Options for xxx Layer > then checked the box for print layer. That did the trick for me. Thanks Mary Posner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could also be time to Replace Your Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THE ANSWER is that you need to right-click on the 'master page' that you have been working on from the pages pane and select 'apply master to pages'. Add to page 1 and you will see the thumbnail of the page update from the default blank master page to a thumbnail of your work.

Basically you have been exporting with a blank master page file, so you need to apply the one you've been working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This was the problem, just as you stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merge the layers, then go to export layers to files, and make sure that you check include ICC profiles, I had the same problem and this fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines