Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browser "Can't find file"

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2011 Dec 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CF8 on 2003 Windows Server.

I have a file, let's call it "ABC.cfm".  Everything is working fine with this file.

I have updated the code in the file and renamed "ABC.cfm" to "ABCold.cfm".   I think saved a new file called "ABC.cfm" and moved it the location where the original "ABC.cfm" file was and I get an error in the browsers (Firefox and IE) that basically says it can't find the file.  If I rename "ABCold.cfm" back to "ABC.cfm" it finds the file.

Any idea why the browsers can not find the renamed file but can find the same file by the original name?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

Aball2 wrote:

I have a file, let's call it "ABC.cfm".  Everything is working fine with this file.

I have updated the code in the file and renamed "ABC.cfm" to "ABCold.cfm".   I think saved a new file called "ABC.cfm" and moved it the location where the original "ABC.cfm" file was and I get an error in the browsers (Firefox and IE) that basically says it can't find the file.  If I rename "ABCold.cfm" back to "ABC.cfm" it finds the file.

Any idea why the brow

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure of the case of that file is exactly the same? Are you sure

you are uploading it to the right folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cases are the same.  Even copy and pasted the old file name to the new one just to be sure.  

Yes, they are both in the same folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the error you get is a 404 error or some other error? Like a cfinclude

cannot find template error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox error: 

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at http://myserver/cfide/mylocation/ABC.cfm.

Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.

Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

--------------------------------

IE 8 Error:

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site.  The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.

-----------

I guess I should also note this location performs calcualtions and when working properly produces an excel spreadsheet.  I only updated the calculations in the code, otherwise the code is identical, so I am just confused as to what might be triggering this error.  I've done this with several other files and had no issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds to me like IIS doesn't have sufficient permissions to see the files.  This is a bit odd because I have a feeling that generally file perms are inherited from their directory, not set on the files themselves.  However you should check whether the a/c that IIS is running as has permissions to see the files that aren't being served.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...I will look into that, I'll look into about anything at this point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aball2 wrote:

Any idea why the browsers can not find the renamed file but can find the same file by the original name?

ColdFusion is known to sometimes masquerade its inability to process an error by responding with a page-not-found. To rule this out, perform the following test.

Comment out all the code on the page, excepting

Test result: <cfoutput>#now()#</cfoutput>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all.  Apparently the error was in the code and it was kicking the incorrect error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation