• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

going into idle state?

Participant ,
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am migrating our apps to apache2.0/Coldfusion9. The migration is still in testing phase. I facing an issues where if we  have not accessed sites for some times then it looks they are going into an idle state. where in once come and access its taking a little time to start off the application and display home page. Either apache/CF does not show any logs. any comments.

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can increase the Application timeout in your Application.cfm/cfc file, or change the default and maximum values in the CF Administrator.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are describing expected behaviour.  The application timed out so when when you accessed the site, your onApplicationStart code had to run.  Having said that, if nobody is accessing the site, doing something about this might not be the best use of your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have application timeout set to 2 days but if the site is not accessed for more than 4-6 hours its going into idle state. i have application.cfm not application.cfc (old code migrating to CF9).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which case, I'd say first thing to do is change your Application.cfm to .cfc format. You can then just get it to email you in the onApplicationEnd() and you'll know exactly what's going on.

Agreed CF will be the biggest issue here, but remember that when used regularly files are cached everywhere from the disk cache, controller cache, and even RAM on the server. It will always take longer for a page to first load after a period of inactivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vksrinu wrote:

we have application timeout set to 2 days but if the site is not accessed for more than 4-6 hours its going into idle state. i have application.cfm not application.cfc (old code migrating to CF9).

Let's assume you have a tag like this in your application file:

<cfapplication name="my_app" applicationTimeout="#createTimespan(2,0,0,0)#" sessionManagement="true" sessionTimeout="#createTimespan(0,0,20,0)#">

Is everything then nice and fine? No, not if you saved the file as application.cfm. So, make sure the file is named Application.cfm, with capital A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we are Application.cfm only. we have below code.

<cfapplication name="OLPOrders" sessionmanagement="yes">

we are using the default CF administrator settings for application/session timeouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

vksrinu wrote:

we are Application.cfm only. we have below code.

<cfapplication name="OLPOrders" sessionmanagement="yes">

we are using the default CF administrator settings for application/session timeouts.

I would suggest you use

<cfapplication name="OLPOrders" applicationTimeout="#createTimespan(2,0,0,0)#" sessionManagement="yes" sessionTimeout="#createTimespan(0,0,20,0)#">

This way, you can be sure you completely overrule the Administrator, at least, as far as the timeouts are concerned. in any case, it is worth testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... troubleshoot it the same way you'd troubleshoot any performance "shortfall".  To start with, switch debugging on, leave it over night, hit the site, and see where the slowdown is coming from.  You might find your DB is closing its connections, or something similar.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

may be i can try this...i will try opening the CF monitor and will keep it for some time.

Thanks

Srinivas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation