Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SQL Server falling asleep?

Sep 21, 2006 Sep 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've developed a site that works as expected in our development environment (CFMX7/SQL Server 2000), but is acting strangely in a customer's production environment (CFMX7/SQL Server 2005) -- note difference in db version.

It seems like the database "falls asleep" during a period of inactivity. If the site isn't hit for awhile (it's in beta, so there are long periods where no one hits the site), the first person to hit the site will get a "timeout trying to establish connection" error (not a "query exceeded allowable time" error) when running the first encountered query. And it will continue to give that error for almost exactly 10 minutes. Then, the site will come up fine and work as expected ... until the next period of extended inactivity.

I've never encountered this before and I'm at a loss.

Can anyone at least send me down a road of things to look at? I did run through Ben's SQL Server 2005 things to check and those are implemented ... and remember, it doesn't always die on connecting to db, just the first time after an extended period of inactivity.

I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.

Matt
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe found part of the problem...

Many fields in SQL 2000 db are bit fields holding values of 1 or 0; moving to SQL 2005 those were converted (during restore) in db to values of true or false ... but our queries are still sending in something like "where bIsDeleted = 1"

I'm guessing that this could be causing problems with db/queries?

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Datasource set to maintain connections?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes, it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation