• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framework recommendations?

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2006 Sep 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to frameworks, but I think I understand the basic premise behind them. So, I basically need to pick one and start learning it, but I'm not sure which one to use. Fusebox? Model-Glue? Mach II? ... Fusebox has been around much longer, and sites as mainstream as myspace.com use it. But Model-Glue seem to have increasing popularity.

Also, I have definite plans for Ajax in my application, so what ramifications do the various frameworks have on this? Do they preclude the use of cfajax?

And finally, as I chose a framework and huncker down to learn it, do you have any recommended reading/tutorials/etc to help me get a firm grasp on everything? For example, I'm fairly competent with cfml, but I've never written a cfc before. I know frameworks use cfcs, so should I be studying everything about those first?

Thanks for any wisdom...

-Ken
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2006 Sep 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ken,

You can use fusebox.

You can also find tutorials from " http://www.fusebox.org "

Sankalan
( www.mindfiresolutions.com )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2006 Sep 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so that's a vague vote for fusebox. Anyone else have a suggestion perhaps with a bit more elaboration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2006 Sep 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fusebox is awesome. Its easy to implement, you can use on sites large or small. Encourages code reuse, easy to implement custom security, etc, etc. They are now at version 5, v4 is compatible with 5, so any sites with v4 can upgrade to 5 without breaking their app. I read a little about v5 and some of the new features include the use of Coldfusion components, another nice feature of CF. Check it out. You wont be wasting your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2006 Sep 24, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken,

I'm afraid I don't have extensive experience with Fusebox or Mach-II so I'll mostly speak towards Model-Glue. Unfortunately the encounters I had w/ Fusebox were early implementations that perhaps weren't the most efficient example.

Model-Glue is hands down geared towards OO development which CF code does not have to be. From what I know Fusebox was pretty procedurally oriented, it's only begun using CFCs in version 5. What I like about M-G is the forced separation of presentation and model. It's got a bit of overhead, but I've never noticed performance issues running it. Another thing I like about the framework that it's actively looking to integrate with other highly useful elements such as ColdSpring and Reactor.

I don't believe Model-Glue has much of a learning curve and with OO designs becoming more prevalent in CF, I think it's a good framework to learn and will be in use for some time. For reading material I would recommend the QuickStart at http://docs.model-glue.com. There was an article on CFDJ http://coldfusion.sys-con.com/read/176171.htm that might be useful. Also you can just Google the topic, there's a lot of blog entries out there on it.

My recommendation though is to hit the QuickStart and then try to convert a small existing app that you've personally written. Working through that conversion you'll see the opportunties for efficiently designing your app.

-Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 25, 2006 Sep 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the strictest use of OO principles, then you should go with Mach-II. Mach-II, however, is not the easiest to learn. You can easily incoporate AJAX into any of the frameworks. I have an example of how to generate AJAX ready XML with Mach-II on my site:

http://www.infoaccelerator.net/client/index.cfm/2006/7/21/Dynamic-XML-Generation-For-Spry-and-Flex-2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2006 Sep 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Duplicated post. See this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation