• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disappearing word spaces

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2006 Sep 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In drop-down and expanding hot spot text, we've run into a problem with "non-spaces". Although there appears to be a space between two words, when the output is generated (WebHelp and printed documentation), some words run together. Because you see a space when you display formatting marks or use the preview function in RoboHelp, there is no way to tell when this will happen. It seems to happen most frequently between a bold or hyperlinked word and a word in regular format. We have tried re-inserting the space, but this does not always work. Even adding it in the HTML code does not work. Does anyone know how to avoid this problem to start with, or how to identify and fix it before you generate the Help? We are using RoboHelp HTML X5.0.2.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 19, 2006 Sep 19, 2006
As it is happening in multiple outputs my guess is that the problem is with the source. Can you confirm that the problem is happening in the same place regardless of the output used? If so, I'd like to know what HTML the Truecode is showing in these instances. You say you've tried reinserted the space in the truecode. Does this mean RH had deleted it? Can you take a look and post back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2006 Sep 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it is happening in multiple outputs my guess is that the problem is with the source. Can you confirm that the problem is happening in the same place regardless of the output used? If so, I'd like to know what HTML the Truecode is showing in these instances. You say you've tried reinserted the space in the truecode. Does this mean RH had deleted it? Can you take a look and post back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2006 Sep 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your response. I hadn't personally experienced the problem--my co-workers had--so I took a look at the TrueCode myself. In the two cases I tested, where words were running together, the TrueCode showed an additional <span> </span> tag where the space was lacking. When I removed the <span> </span>, the space showed up as it should. I don't know how that tag worked its way in to the text, but I assume it's just one of the anomalies that happens when you're using an editor to write HTML code.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2006 Sep 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have run into this when a word or phrase is bold followed by a non-bold image, such as a button snapshot. We have prevented it by selecting the word, space, and image all at once and bolding them all. In your case, it seems odd that it falls between two words. Are both words hyperlinked separately? Sometimes that is a problem.

When you added the space in true code did you try a non-breaking space? (&nbsp)
Kitty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 20, 2006 Sep 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kitty, you forgot the semi-colon ( ).

Yeah, I know: picky, picky, picky!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2006 Sep 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Leon. In this case, being "picky, picky, picky" is important. Besides, attention to detail is an asset in this business, even if it is perceived as picky at times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the html editor's features is that it moves html tags in a string of text when you edit pieces of the string separately.

In other words, if you have a sentence in bold and you un-bold the first three words, the bold tag is moved to the fourth word . Is the space inside the bold tag? That depends.

Then you unbold the rest of the sentence. The un-bold tag is moved from the end back to the point where you began selecting text. Is there now a "bold space" in the middle, or did we lose it? That depends. Is there a <bold></bold> set with nothing, not even a space, in the middle? That, too, depends.

Similarly, RH sometimes gets confused when you set conditional build tags and change where the condition starts or stops, or you remove the condition in chunks that aren't the same as when you set the condition.

And similarly , when you edit bulleted or numbered paragraphs.

You can't see what's wrong on the screen, and re-editing may or may not straighten things out. The true code will tell.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Much of that filth gets introduced in Word source files, particularly if multiple authors messed them up. When they get imported, RH is not designed to remove any of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp