• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing FP11, says needs associated program, use default settings

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click FINISH on installing FP11 on IE, it says No Program Associated go to Default Settings and associate program with FP. But Flash Player doesn't appear on the Default Settings page. I'm about to give up on installing FP 11. (Windows 7 64-bit). Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

If you read he posts above, you'll see that from the start I said I downloaded FP11. I downloaded it again from from the link upside-down provided, which was for the stand-alone player, the same as my first download. So I did say I downloaded the player. I said repeatedly I could find no file to which to attach. That was the problem. Your assumption that I'd downloaded a file with a .flv extensiton was because you didn't read what I wrote.

I appreciate that you tried to help. Thank you. I'm closi

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to play local SWF files?  If so, you need to download the standalone player (Projector) from http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Note that the download is the player, not an installer, so you must make the file association manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. Manually making the file association is the problem. I'm trying to play a video. It says I must install FlashPlayer. I downloaded FP 11. When I click FINISH it says there is no program associated with it, I must assign one. But when I go to DEFAULT SETTINGS Flash Player doesn't appear in the list of programs, so I can't assign a program to it. Flash Player doesn't show in PROGRAMS, but does show in the list of programs in UNINSTALL. So I guess my question is, How do I assign a file association to Flash Player 11. (I'm above the "novice" level, but not by all that much.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the VLC player from here: http://www.videolan.org/

Then right click the Flash video you downloaded and choose Open With. Then click Browse.  Next, navigate to C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC. In that folder, choose vlc.exe.

I use the VLC player all the time. It's open source and doesn't need any codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the VLC player. I can't right-click on the Flash video because it doesn't show in ALL PROGRAMS, in C: drive Programs, in SET DEFAULTs, in  Search, or anywhere except the Uninstall function.

I didn't mention that the problem was only with Internet Explorer; I could view the videos by opening the link in Chrome, my primary browser. The link is in MSNmail, which opens only in MSN Explorer (samed as IE, I'm told.)

However, the problem seems to have solved itself. I've done nothing since I got the notice, when clicking FINISH in the installation process, that Flash Player 11 needed to be connected to a program. (When I tried to view the video through its link, there was a note that I needed to install Flash Player.) When I just opened to the same link, the video didn't have an "Install Flash Player" note, and the video opened and played.

Flash Player still doesn't appear in ALL PROGRAMS or anywhere else except the uninstall option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zammer8 wrote:

Flash Player still doesn't appear in ALL PROGRAMS or anywhere else except the uninstall option.

Flash Player is a browser add-on, not an executable program.  I have already explained how to get the executable standalone player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link you gave was the same one I'd been using, which at FINISH says I must create an association for it in the Defaults Programs Control Panel. I just tried it again, linking from your post, and got the same notice. As it does not appear in the Defaults Programs Control  Panel, I cannot create an association for it. I said Flash Player doesn't appear anywhere because Xircal said to right-click it and establish an association. I can't right-click on Flash Player or anything with that name because there isn't anything with that name. The problem is still that I can't satisfy the requirement given, i.e. Create an association for it in the Defaults Program Control Panel, or any other way. As I said, the videos in question no longer say I must install Flash Player, and they now play, so I'm content with things as they stand. But I never created an association for Flash Player and don't know why it now works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2011 Dec 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Projector link I gave earlier is the executable to play local SWF files.

Internet-based Flash content is played by the installed browser add-on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2011 Dec 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zammer8 wrote:

I have the VLC player. I can't right-click on the Flash video because it doesn't show in ALL PROGRAMS

Don't right click a video, right click the file. In the screenshot, I already have VLC player as default to open .flv files, but you don't which is why you're seeing that message.

But to demonstrate how to open a Flash file in VLC, right click the file (not the video), go to "Open With" and then click "Choose Program".

Next, navigate the the VLC folder in Windows Explorer, click vlc.exe and then click "Open".

open_with.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2011 Dec 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reply to you and upside-down, it's now moot, as the videos play, with no notice that I must install Flash Player. The add-on must have installed itself, as I did nothing after my last posting. I would like to learn, though. Xircal, right click on what file? When I tried to install Flash Player, at FINISH I'd get a notice that I must assign it to a program, but no file appears. I understand how to use Open With, but I must have a file to click on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2011 Dec 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to say that IE Addons now show Adobe Shockwave Active X and Shockwave Flash Object. Am I correct that Shockwave Flash Object is the addon that shows the videos?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zammer8 wrote:

Xircal, right click on what file? When I tried to install Flash Player, at FINISH I'd get a notice that I must assign it to a program, but no file appears. I understand how to use Open With, but I must have a file to click on.

You've been saying all along that you get a message which tells you that you have to associate a program with the file you downloaded. Right?

Since you've been talking about Flash, we've assumed that you've downloaded a file with a .flv extension. You can associate a program to open a file type with by opening Windows Explorer, then click Tools | Folder Options | File Types. Scroll down to the file extension, which in the case of a Flash file is 'FLV" and then choose the program to open it with. But it's much easier just to right click the file and choose to open it with a specific program from there.

Of course, if you download a file which has an .swf extension, then what you actually did was to download the player, not the video. But that's not what you said.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you read he posts above, you'll see that from the start I said I downloaded FP11. I downloaded it again from from the link upside-down provided, which was for the stand-alone player, the same as my first download. So I did say I downloaded the player. I said repeatedly I could find no file to which to attach. That was the problem. Your assumption that I'd downloaded a file with a .flv extensiton was because you didn't read what I wrote.

I appreciate that you tried to help. Thank you. I'm closing the question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines