Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question About .css and ns_css

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2006 Sep 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I know that cross-posting is against the forum rules, but after updating my older topic and not getting any responses, I figure this is the best way to go. The original post is “Generated RH Output wraps to fit browser window.” I have added below the points of interest from the previous thread; the first is a response from a fellow RH poster followed by my current questions.

Thanks in advance, Diane

Elisa Firth posted:
The description of your output sounds comprehensive - don't create a whole new project just for this!

The projectX_ns.css is created during WebHelp generation - it exists only in the output folder, not your source files. RH copies the original projectX.css into the output and then creates a slightly different copy, projectX_ns.css, to be used when the browser isn't IE (more or less, actually the browser-sniffing logic is kind of complicated).

So I compared my project_ns.css to my project.css. Lo and behold! For bulleted styles only (non-bulleted styles had the correct indents), the left-indent that I specified was being overwritten by "1 pt" in the project_ns.css.

What does this mean? Beats me. But it might lead to a workaround.

Workaround - take a copy of projectX_ns.css. Compare it with projectX.css, paying special attention to indent settings. Fix any left indents that don't look right. Copy the adjusted projectX_ns.css into your output folder. Take a look under some different browser combinations (sounds like you have users who are willing to test for you, you lucky thing).

If this works, you have a brute-force workaround - you just copy your adjusted _ns.css into the output every time you release, overwriting the nonfunctional .css.

Yeah, I'd rather have an explanation. But maybe one of the gurus will know of one. And if this workaround actually does the job, you have at least bought a little time for investigation.

HTH,
Elisa

I posted:

Hi All,

I apologize for unearthing this old topic, but now seamless RH Firefox output has become a priority for the company.

Elisa (or anyone that may know); you mentioned a workaround between the .css I created and the RH generated ns.css:

“Workaround - take a copy of projectX_ns.css. Compare it with projectX.css, paying special attention to indent settings. Fix any left indents that don't look right. Copy the adjusted projectX_ns.css into your output folder. Take a look under some different browser combinations.”

I am hardly savvy when it comes to the “behind the scenes” workings of RH and the coding. I have found and accessed the .css files in question, but what exactly, am I looking for on terms of “indent settings?” I see “margin” mentioned multiple times, but beyond that I have no clue what I should be looking for.

My goal is to see if I can determine the cause, and thusly remedy the issue, behind my RH WebHelp output left-justifying all my bullets and numbering. I am using the latest version of RH with applicable updates, and I am testing the Firefox output with the latest versions and updates as well.

Also, I noticed while researching this problem, that some of the topics within my project that share the same .css file as all the others, do not manifest the left-justify issue in Firefox output. I am still in the process of deciphering this mystery.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Diane

P.S. I worked out the window/text wrap dilemma, thanks to those to helped with that!.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 21, 2006 Sep 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
A few things:

The cascading in Cascading Style Sheets happens in reverse:
- External style sheet is superceded by topic styles inside the HEAD section.
- External style sheet and topic styles are superceded by specific style applications.

In addition:
- The HTML protocol and the RH compiler assign default indents for lists, which get superceded by the style applications previously mentioned.

- Depending on the original source of your topics (Word, Excel, Frame, etc.), you could have some serious filth attached to some of the elements (lists & tables, mostly).

- The "margin" might appear in your CSS file as "left-margin: 40px" for example.

- The least painful way to display lists properly in all media (online and print) is to not use styles at all. Simply use the Normal style, select the list items, and click the Bullet or Number icon in the toolbar.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp