Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sort search results alphabetically in Robohelp 9

Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our organization is just switching over from Robohelp 7 to Robohelp 9.  We noticed that search results are sorted by rank, which is not ideal for our environment.  I have checked through the entire Help file and cannot find mention of how to change search result order (we are using WebHelp Pro) in our Knowledge Base.  Web searches have come up empty, as well.

Is there a way to sort search results alphabetically still?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Hi Benjamin and welcome to our community

If you dislike the suggestion of having to change the file each time you generate and you are willing to live with the fact that *EVERYTHING* you generate with WebHelp will sort the same way, you *CAN* actually modify what I refer to as the "seed" file so that you don't have to remember to modify each time.

To find the seed file, look where RoboHelp is installed.

For me, I find it here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\temp

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and welcome to your community.

There's no way in the RH interface as far as I know. On to the output files....

Just ran a quick test on RH8 and it will probably work for RH9 as well:

1. In your output, open whfhost.js with a text editor.
  2. Find the line var g_nSortType = 0;.
  3. Replace the 0 with a 1 for ascending sort or 2 for descending sort.
  4. Save the file.

Remember that you have to modify the value every time you generate your output.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Willam.  That's kind of a bummer, but good to have an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin and welcome to our community

If you dislike the suggestion of having to change the file each time you generate and you are willing to live with the fact that *EVERYTHING* you generate with WebHelp will sort the same way, you *CAN* actually modify what I refer to as the "seed" file so that you don't have to remember to modify each time.

To find the seed file, look where RoboHelp is installed.

For me, I find it here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock

You may find it in a different place. But I'd make a backup copy for Jusin (Justin Case) and modify the file you find there. At that point it should be pulled from the seed and used during each WebHelp generation.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

When you say *everything* will generate in the same way, what does *everything* include?  We want all search results to generate alphabetically.  Would this also apply to the ToC?  We might actually be able to live with that anyway, but I am curious what else would be affected if I made that modification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

When Willam advised that you would need to modify the file each time you generated WebHelp, what I meant was that no modification would need to be made afterwards because you modified the seed file that is used. What I meant by "everything" was to say that any other WebHelp project you create will also use the modification. Sort of like a genetically modified grain. Any plant created will contain the modification.

So the trade off here is that from the point you modify the seed file forward, any project created will use the modified file. If you want to return back to the way it worked before, you need to modify it again. Or tweak the output files. So by modifying the seed file you save the step of always having to modify the output files created from the seed.

This will have no effect on the Table of Contents. Only the Search listing.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick and William,

We just tried this solution to make search results alphabetical and it worked perfectly.  Thanks very much.

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, How to sort the search result in responsive html5 output. Please could you help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Captiv8r , @Deleted User , How to sort the search result in responsive html5 output. Please could you help?

I have attached the screenshot here - https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp-discussions/how-to-display-the-search-result-alphabetically-in-robohelp-html5-output/m-p/13297107

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp