• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player: latest version not installable?

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am repeatedly getting a message saying I need to install the latest version of Flash Player.

When I try to download it, I am told I cannot install it because my operating system (OS10.4.11) will not work with this version.

When I try to install an older version, I am told it is discontinued!

I called Customer Service, who told me I needed to buy a newer Mac!!

Is there no solution to this???

PLEASE HELP.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/931724

If you visit websites that require you to upgrade to FP11, there is really nothing you can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2011 Dec 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer but how is this helpful? Why does Adobe/Flash not respond to these questions??? What, if anything, are they doing about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2011 Dec 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tiresome!! wrote:

I am repeatedly getting a message saying I need to install the latest version of Flash Player.

When I try to download it, I am told I cannot install it because my operating system (OS10.4.11) will not work with this version.

When I try to install an older version, I am told it is discontinued!

Try installing Shockwave For Director: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/ It's primarily used for interactive Flash games, but might fix your problem.

Here are the system requirements for it: http://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer/productinfo/systemreqs/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same situation. Same op sys MAC Intel 10.4.11. Macbook Pro. Not a cheap system. Runs great until now. Can't watch anything I could before this fiascoe.

Was instructed to update flash. Followed Adobe's instructions to uninstall old version first, then installed the recommended Flash version (10.3.....).

It will load up into applications and the icon will appear in the app tool bar until I finish the install, which it then disappears. Only thing found in the system is the Flash install manager. I thought because of uninstaller still in system that was causing the disappearing act. Removed the uninstaller. Still not any different. From my brief two day search on this site, may people are affected.

Now, after Adobe directs me to do something specific, well knowing that the new version does not work for my system, after uninstalling the usable software, not being able to get said working older version back and not supporting, or even forwarning of problems... Bad call.

The reason I am a big fan of Macs is they support their systems. Up til now, all software by Apple, old or new, will work on their systems. Sounds like Apple needs to get involved.

Question to 'tiresome!!'... Did Adobe call support charge you the fee to tell you to get a new computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to fauXGT: After telling me that there was nothing to be done except to buy a new computer, Adobe Support told me I could get more information for a fee. I told the guy to forget about it and hung up. They don't answer emails and I was surprised to even get as far as speaking to a live person when I called. Does anyone know if the problem is even being dealt with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 11, 2011 Dec 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the biggest downside of buying an Apple computer. You cannot upgrade the machine, or the operating system. When technology advances whereby certain apps no longer work because your system is considered too old, you're forced to buy a complete new machine.

At least with Windows, you can upgrade parts, upgrade the operating system and receive free full support for quite a number of years. I'm still using Windows XP Pro which came onto the market in 2004 and is supported until 2014. You can change everything except the motherboard on a Windows PC and still use your existing licence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft must have changed their support then. The reason I went to Macs is because years ago XP did an automatic update, and then anytime using Windows media player, my computer would freeze. I'd have to reboot. Microsoft refused to help without a 'fee' . I saw thousands of people were SOL with the same problem. A friend that has had PC's since early '90s, went to Macs in late 90's. He said that for Apple, all the new systems will operate all previous software, and they are designed to do so. And they have always helped. So when the media player issue happened, I jumped to Mac.

The 8 years I had PCs, they would have to be worked on about once a year for some reason or another, mostly software glitches. The first couple of years, micrsoft covered the cost. I had to pay for the rest. Microsoft didn't pay! The 5 years that I have had the Mac, only the video card went out last year. It was replaced free of charge. because of a bad batch of cards from the manufacturer. I have had a number of Apple updates, and still get them without issue. If an issue popped up, they had a fix for it, free of charge.

Right now, Adobe is doing to me what Microsoft did to me 6 years ago. They convinced me to update, then when it doesn't work, they don't help me to at least get back the old version so it will basically work. Then they say that I'm outdated. Thats the issue I have now. Only a few sites had demanded flash 11, but with no flash at all (adobe had me uninstall old first), I can't even manage my photobucket account. They require some sort of flash. And no Youtube.

My father-n-law that does world wide data management has said that Apple corp is having issues with Adobe, not keeping up with changes, like the issue at hand. Adobe still directs Mac w/ 10.4.11 to download Flash version 10.3. They still haven't figured out that it doesn't work. 

My next step is to  'upgrade' my "non-upgradable" OS from tiger to leopard. They do offer OS upgrades. That should at least for now put me into the 'workable software boundaries' for Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with fauXGT, not to mention all the viruses that you don't get with Mac but do have to deal with on PCs!

And I'll follow your advice re upgrading OS. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tiresome!! wrote:

I agree with fauXGT, not to mention all the viruses that you don't get with Mac but do have to deal with on PCs!

You really think MACs aren't prone to viruses? WOW!

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Mac-scareware-becomes-more-visible-Update-1246693.html

http://www.securitytracker.com/id/1026323

http://www.securitytracker.com/id/1026311

Message was edited by: Xircal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly not as many as PCs are!! I've had both and hardly ever any trouble with a Mac; constantly updating virus software with PCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tiresome!! wrote:

Certainly not as many as PCs are!! I've had both and hardly ever any trouble with a Mac; constantly updating virus software with PCs.

If you keep track of security issues which I suspect you don't judging by your response, you'll find quite a large number of vulnerabilities in your cherished Mac.

This is likely to increase in the same way it has with other operating systems as Mac users rapidly become targets of opportunity primarily because there are so many users like yourself who are gullible enough to believe that just because they're using a Mac, they're not vulnerable to these kind of exploits.

I could go on posting links for you all night, but I think you (might) get the picture now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The picture I get is of an arrogant know-it-all.

The issue I have at the moment, one of the very few I've had since owning my Mac, has to do with Adobe/Flash, not Mac.

Thanks for all your "help".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

tiresome!! wrote:

The picture I get is of an arrogant know-it-all.

The issue I have at the moment, one of the very few I've had since owning my Mac, has to do with Adobe/Flash, not Mac.

Thanks for all your "help".

You jumped on fauXGT's bandwagon.

As regards your problem, you can download an archived version from here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

However, you'll have to uninstall the existing version using the Adobe Flash uninstaller first otherwise you'll get a message saying that the version you're trying to install is older than the one you have now. Download the uninstaller from here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

And if you have an AV which includes web shields, file shields and the like, disable them first because file scanners in particular interfere with the uninstall/installation process which leads to corruption further down the line. If you have AVAST, you can do that by right clicking the orange icon in the systray and then choose to disable all shields for one hour. You might have to repeat that if you reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fauXGT wrote:

Microsoft must have changed their support then. The reason I went to Macs is because years ago XP did an automatic update, and then anytime using Windows media player, my computer would freeze. I'd have to reboot. Microsoft refused to help without a 'fee' . I saw thousands of people were SOL with the same problem. A friend that has had PC's since early '90s, went to Macs in late 90's. He said that for Apple, all the new systems will operate all previous software, and they are designed to do so. And they have always helped. So when the media player issue happened, I jumped to Mac.

The 8 years I had PCs, they would have to be worked on about once a year for some reason or another, mostly software glitches. The first couple of years, micrsoft covered the cost. I had to pay for the rest. Microsoft didn't pay! The 5 years that I have had the Mac, only the video card went out last year. It was replaced free of charge. because of a bad batch of cards from the manufacturer. I have had a number of Apple updates, and still get them without issue. If an issue popped up, they had a fix for it, free of charge.

Right now, Adobe is doing to me what Microsoft did to me 6 years ago. They convinced me to update, then when it doesn't work, they don't help me to at least get back the old version so it will basically work. Then they say that I'm outdated. Thats the issue I have now. Only a few sites had demanded flash 11, but with no flash at all (adobe had me uninstall old first), I can't even manage my photobucket account. They require some sort of flash. And no Youtube.

My father-n-law that does world wide data management has said that Apple corp is having issues with Adobe, not keeping up with changes, like the issue at hand. Adobe still directs Mac w/ 10.4.11 to download Flash version 10.3. They still haven't figured out that it doesn't work. 

My next step is to  'upgrade' my "non-upgradable" OS from tiger to leopard. They do offer OS upgrades. That should at least for now put me into the 'workable software boundaries' for Flash.

You can disable automatic updates if you want to. You're under no obligation to enable them. However, you have to bear in mind that the majority of users aren't technically minded and don't know the first thing about security. Automatic updates was designed to address that anomaly.

By free support, I'm talking about security patches and the like. Apple charges you for those, or used to.

Installing an older version of any Adobe app exposes your system to the kind of vulnerabilities the update was designed to address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines