Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 9: Error when using search terms including the word "not"

Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are moving from Robohelp 7 to Robohelp 9.  We realize that Boolean operators such as NOT are supposed to be working now, but we do have times when we might find ourselves using search terms that include the word "not" on its own.

The problem that we are finding is that if we search for something like "office not installed", because that phrase is part of a specific error message we might be trying to locate, we are getting the error, "The words you typed is not a valid expression" [sic].

We have tried making modifications to the Stop Words and Always Ignore words and can't seem to find a solution.  We do need to be able to search using the word "not" as a regular search term.  Even as a Boolean operator (NOT), we are getting the same error.  Searching for "office installed" will get us the result that we want, but we have a team of users who will definitely instinctually search using the word "not" since it's part of the error they are searching for.

Thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin

First, I don't believe the Always Ignore has anything to do with Searching. That particular list is used when you instruct RoboHelp to build an index using the Smart Index Wizard.

Actually, something like "Office Not Installed" is a perfect use of the Index. But I'm guessing here that your system doesn't include an index in favor of trawling through the pile of words in the project.

If you aren't using an index yet, I'd highly suggest you investigate it. In a properly indexed system your users will find what they are looking for infinitely faster and easier than they ever will by using Search.

Just a thought... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indexing is something we are looking at for the future, but we have 14,000 topics in our Knowledge Base and a userbase that is very used to searching in the way they have been for the past five years, and so now we have this particular, specific problem of using the word "not" in a search term and getting that grammatically terrible error message, "The words you typed is not a valid expression."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see that this message has never been replaced in RH, and simply want to update the date and version for the problem.

Version RH11. I'm still getting the odd "The words you typed is not a valid function."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp