• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 8 vs. 9 - Search Functionality Comparison and "All of the Words" vs. "Any of the Words"

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!

Our organization focuses a lot on the accuracy of our searches, which is a necessity when we have hundreds of very lengthy topics (no matter how well organized they are).

I finally completed a detailed comparison of the search functionality of 8 and 9 and came to the realization that 8 is a disaster, while with 9 things get better, but there's still TONS of room for improvement.  I have reported this to Adobe and so far there has been no official response. There are many blogs on here related to the search functionality, but I thought it may be a good idea to try to sum some of them up. I do hope that someone somewhere at Adobe runs into this and shares with all of us why Adobe's Search functionality is still in the 20th century!

I hope this helps everyone else who is curious to know about how the tool's search functions work and whether it's worth upgrading from 8 to 9 at this point. I have included some examples which are in a way internal to us, but they will give you a good idea of what to expect and I'm quite confident you'll be able to recreate them on your side in seconds.

I also wanted to ask a question or two, and if anyone can assist, that would be greatly appreciated:

• Currently if we search for several words at once (not exact phrase), both 8 and 9 perform an "Any of the words" search which always returns too many results. Does anyone know a way to change the default to an "All of the words" search? For years I have not encountered a tool out there that doesn't have the option to modify this, alas with RoboHelp 8 and 9, we can't find a way to do it (with or without modifying the source code).
  • Out of curiosity, are there any other tools out there which offer Conditional Tag (or similar) functionality and which behave better than RoboHelp? (easier to maintain, less buggy, web interface, etc)?

RoboHelp 8 vs 9 - Search Functionality Comparison Table with some Examples:

Search Example               RoboHelp 8      RoboHelp 9         Expected Results
(based on industry standards)
1. Searching for Exact Phrase "Correspondent Banking"Such a search returns topics which contain "Correspondent Banking" and "Correspondent Bank". The last one is included because "Bank" is the root of "Banking". The topics that contain the exact phrase appear at the bottom. When we click on any of them, we're not automatically taken to phrase so we have to scroll and look for it or use CTR+F. Identical behavior except that when we click on the topics which contain the exact phrase, we're taken straight to it. When we hear "exact" we expect "exact" and nothing else. Unfortunately, both versions keep searching for the roots of each word as well and incorrectly display those results at the top. Adobe has made it clear that this is a part of their functionality, BUT this is something we would not expect to see for exact phrase searches that are in quotes.
2. A Non-Exact phrase search of "Geographical Limits of market area"The tool automatically performs an "Any of the Words" search instead of an "All of the Words" search. This is also related to the question I asked above this table. As you can imagine, this is returning almost every topic and it becomes virtually impossible to find what we're looking for. It even returns topics which contain "of" and nothing else. Identical behaviorThere to be an option which allows us to choose what the default search would be - "Any of the words" vs. "All of the Words"
3. Exact Phrase search of "low-score" with a dashNone of the topics that were returned contain the phrase. As some of you know, RH8 has problems with special characters, including dashes. RH9 returned only the topic that which contains the phrase and we were taken straight to it when we open it. The expectation is to see exactly what RH9 currently offers. Unfortunately 8 has a big problem with these types of searches.
4. Exact Phrase search of "2.4"This is similar to the one above. Adobe doesn't like periods as well. It doesn't not find any of the topics which contain this phrase. In our case, this is a section number and sometimes people want a quick way to get to a specific section or sub-section. We were hoping that this will be fixed with 9, just the way they fixed the dashes. Unfortunately, still ZERO results returned.
Expectation is for the topics which contain that exact phrase to be returned, no matter whether there's any special character inbetween.
5. Exact Phrase search of "300,000" or $300,000"The tool only returned several random topics which contain "000" as part of larger numbers. The topic that contains "300,000" was not on that list, even though it also contains "000". Identical behaviorExpectation is for topics that contain the exact amount to be returned, no matter if there is a coma or a dollar sign anywhere within the phrase.
6. Exact Phrase Search of "525-B5". Goal was to have a special character, a letter and numbers. ZERO Results returned.Only the docs that contain the phrase were returned and nothing else. It seems that this this was addressed in version 9 and now it behaves as expected.Expectation is only for the docs that contain the exact phrase to be returned.
7. Exact phase search of "log" in order to test the Substring Functionality

Here's an extract from Adobe's Support Site:

“Substring search (WebHelp/Pro, FlashHelp/Pro) - If you enable this feature, a search for "log" returns topics containing the words "catalog" and "logarithm." Substring search takes longer than whole-string search.”

So with that in mind, we decided to test if turning the substring searches on and off does exactly as advertised, unfortunately the answer was NO. We even used an example almost idnetical to what Adobe provided on their site.

With Substring Searches disabled, we searched for the word "log". Unfortunately it returned words like "logbook" and methodology". How is that possible?

Identical behaviorOur expectation would be only for docs that contain"log" to be returned, no matter whether substring is enabled or disabled. In our case it was disabled.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting that table. It's good to see how the search behaves and I'm sure a lot of people will find it useful.

I can't help with most of your questions, but perhaps the hat-matrix site will be useful for your query about tools with conditional tags:

http://hat-matrix.com/

The term "conditions" shows up in a number of categories, so you could try different combinations to see which tools show up. As stated on their home page, only vendors who pay to be listed appear, and they provide details of their features. So the tools list is by no means comprehensive.

http://hat-matrix.com/compare_hats/find_all_tools_with_selected_features.html

Additionally, I know that ZoomSearch has been integrated into RH output by a number of people.Perhaps that is a workable solution for you? A search of the forums should turn up a bunch of topics.

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will ensure that your post is seen by Adobe. ZoomSearch can be integrated into RoboHelp and is described on my site.

I'm not sure why you have thrown conditional tags in as well as there are very few related issues reported on these forums. Can you be more specific?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2011 Dec 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

We are indeed looking into ZoomSearch as well. Things are a little more complex due to some AD integration we have, etc. I know that conditional tags are not related to this discussion, but I mentioned them because they are one of the main reasons we use Robohelp vs. any other tool out there with better search capabilities. They do in a way work as expected, alas they prove to be too time consuming even for our editors who are well trained. So the question I popped on alternatives was just out of curiosiry.

Thank you so much for the speedy reply as always

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amber,

The website that you provided me with is actually very very helpful. As for ZoomSearch, just as I shared with Peter, we're looking into it but it may be tough to integrate in our environment due to AD and many other little things we have in place. I haven't given up though since it seems like a great tool.

I expect to finally hear from Adobe in the next few days and I'll share with everyone on here what their statement is on each one of the search issues/behaviours.

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Out of curiosity, why is it that you expect to hear from Adobe? I'm hoping it's not simply because you posted here. Certainly we have Adobe folks that visit here and we are thankful for that, but it isn't to be expected.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I shared all of this with Adobe dirctly several weeks ago. After some "radio silence" and a few more calls and e-mails, seems like they are finally looking into all of this. I definitely didn't expect to hear from anyone at Adobe based on this post. My apologies if it sounded that way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thanks...

I just didn't want to see you get your hopes up without just cause.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp