• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best quality exports?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited a music video that was shot with the canon 5D dslr so I have 29.97 fps 1080 HD footage. I want to export the highest possible quality so I can have a "master" to mess with color correcting and then bounce several different formats for various purposes (vimeo, cable tv, dvd etc). I have read that I shouldn't use the "match sequence settings" option or or the h264 either. Anybody know the best way? Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Look for "None" in the middle of the list in Post #11.  That's how you choose generic uncompressed.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a lossless codec like Lagarith or UT for your master.

You're right... don't use 'Match Sequence Settings'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Lagarith a codec that i can find within the media encoder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope... you have to install it, but it's free (as is UT).

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite

After installing, you can find both under the .avi presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's for Windows. I'm using a mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Uncompressed MOV file will do the trick in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find the avi presets or to import them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited a music video that was shot with the canon 5D dslr so I have 29.97 fps 1080 HD footage. I want to export the highest possible quality so I can have a "master" to mess with color correcting and then bounce several different formats for various purposes (vimeo, cable tv, dvd etc). I have read that I shouldn't use the "match sequence settings" option or or the h264 either. Anybody know the best way? Thanks in advance.

You do not need to make a Master to  bounce different formats for various purposes.  That is the power of 'Non Destructive editing' within an NLE.  Just export to what ever you want from the same sequence You simply go back to the Premiere Project and export to different formats for various purposes via Adobe Media Encoder. (solo export  or batch export).

In the  same Project you can also have un limited duplicate sequences  of the original edit and each can be messed with to your hearts content.

Where can I find the avi presets or to import them?

They are in the Adobe Media Presets ( and you can customise them).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to make a Master to  bounce different formats for various purposes.

That's certainly true if you're doing all your exports at the same time, but creating a Master does allow for working with the finished edit long after the project has been archived, without the hassle of setting everything back up again.  It also allows you to use outside programs to do encoding, as some can do a better job of it than AME.  So it's at least worth knowing how to create a 'best quality' Master, just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. I use the "master" to add color/look settings to fewer clips than the original sequence. Saves me alot of time. But I can't seem to find a truely "uncompressed" setting in my export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to find a truely "uncompressed" setting in my export settings.

UncompressedQT.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally on the Mac I like ProRes if you have it. There's an Adobe blog on how to create presets, even a complete workflow (but we don't do that) in ProRes. You'll have to google it, sorry I don't have the link handy. We've heard the free Avid DNxHD codec is also very nice.

BTW, we decided on doing our basic color correction in PP, some of the filters are actually 32bit. Using mostly Fast Color Corrector and 3-way Color Corrector. Color Finesse, in AE is great, but we decided against it for now. All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avid DNxHD has a pretty good compression routine, and it's free (and compressed like ProRes).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the "uncompressed" 10bit setting and it plays back all screwed up. Jumpy, or sometimes just audio only for a while when played back through quicktime and VLC it plays back as a blank green screen, but not when imported back to Premiere. I don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Uncompressed option you chose is likely using the V210 codec, which requires AJA hardware to work properly outside of PP and Encore.

The better choice (on a PC) is Microsoft AVI, with the codec set to None.

I'm not positive how to get there on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I'd go with ProRes HQ or Avid DNxHD. I've downloaded the free Avid codecs, but no time yet to test. Uncompressed is going to be pretty hard to play I would think. As Jim says, you'd probably need some kind of hardware excelerator to play in real time. However, I've never done any uncompressed mov, we used to use the animation codec years ago, before ProRes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto what Glitchdog says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to make a Master to  bounce different formats for various purposes.  That is the power of 'Non Destructive editing' within an NLE.  Just export to what ever you want from the same sequence You simply go back to the Premiere Project and export to different formats for various purposes via Adobe Media Encoder. (solo export  or batch export).

True that.. However it is plane stupid to go back into the Premiere Project every time you wanna render out a copy... Why -- easy... Premiere HAS to render the WHOLE movie including blends, effects etc.. Every time you wanna make a copy. That takes SO MUCH longer that doing it from a pre-rendered Master. So if time is considered a commodity... You wold definitely wanna make copies from a pre-rendered Master instead of rendering the whole project each time you wanna make one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look for "None" in the middle of the list in Post #11.  That's how you choose generic uncompressed.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with AtonMusic. Standard procedure at the facilities I have worked at is to make a master (usually Prores or DNxHD) and then make any other formats for various uses from those. Fast and efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lasvideo wrote:

I agree with AtonMusic. Standard procedure at the facilities I have worked at is to make a master (usually Prores or DNxHD) and then make any other formats for various uses from those. Fast and efficient.

I've seen projects that took 3 days to render... Imagine having to spend 3 days to create an H.264 copy when you can do that in less than 10 Minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with you and lasvideo  ....except...

Apart from transcodes..the OP also wants to

so I can have a "master" to mess with color correcting

That should be done at clip base (source) level unless you want..

1. a global grade (using maybe keyframes)

2. to split all the scenes out of the master with a razor tool

3. Grade over the top of supers, fx, transitions, previous grade and corrections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines