Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Foreign Key Constraints

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2011 Dec 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

does anybody have suggestions, for creating foreign keys in a MySQL DB using Coldfusion9. The traditional way is to define the constraints in MySQL. Beside that I have to define those relationships also in Coldfusion.

Should I define the constraints on both sides, or just in Coldfusion ? As I tried out it is working, if I do the definitions only in CF9.

Thanks for answering.

Regards

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by "define those relationships also in ColdFusion". Do you mean within ORM? In any case, though, if you need constraints they should be defined within your relational database first and foremost.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by "define those relationships also in ColdFusion". Do you mean within ORM? In any case, though, if you need constraints they should be defined within your relational database first and foremost.

I'm presuming the OP does indeed mean in the context of defining a mapping between a CF object and DB storage via Hibernate.

One can use the CF ORM mappings in two different ways:

1) start with nothing in the DB, and the ORM mapping also creates the DB requirements (tables, keys, constraints etc).  In which case the mappings in CF do reflect the constraints that will end up in the DB too.  That's what those settings are for.

2) mapping already existing DB resources to a CF component.  In this situation I don't think CF will create new constraints if the tables already exist.  Although there's one very easy way to test that...

Either way, the constraints ought to be present in the DB, yes.  If CF's ORM mapping doesn't do it itself, then it ought to be done by hand.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Adam,

thanks for your answer.

I did some tests on various tables - with and without the constraints in the DB. It is working in either way, as I understand ORM and Hibernate in CF, the integrity of the tables is maintained by CF (ORM/Hib). What are the advantages of doing the definition twice ? If I am defining all constraints just in CF, some possible steps in the future (e.g. migration to another DB System) could be much easier, because the model is maintained one layer above the DB. Or are there other restrictions ?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should always acknowledge the possibility that the db will be accessed without using ColdFusion.  Once you do so, do you think foreign key constraints will be useful at the database level?

BTW, like Dave Watts, I don't know what you mean when you say you define relationships in ColdFusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation