• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export to .mp4 format?

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Premiere Elements 9 and I am wondering how to export my video to .mp4 format without losing the resolution? (I don't mean .mpg)

According to: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/862/cpsid_86248.html, I should be able to but no luck here.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Try the Share/Portable Device/iPad setting and see what you think of the results.

This setting produces a nice, compact, high-quality mp4 file. At most, they may have to install the free Quicktime player -- but probably not.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export/Share to MP4 will use the H.264 CODEC, so there will be compression, and a decrease in quality.

To Share to MP4, you will use the QuickTime Preset, and then set the Compression to H.264.

The compression will be fair, and the quality quite good, or a compressed CODEC. H.264 is one of the better highly-compressed CODEC's available today.

Now, what is your Source Footage, and also your intended use for the Exported/Shared file?

There might be better alternatives, but your delivery will dictate if they are viable.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I tried that too but the outcome format is .mov, not MP4.

The source clip is 1440 x 1080 (1.3333), 29.97fps, 48000Hz, Stereo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many forms of MP4 and many quality levels and resolutions.

What do you plan to do with this MP4? Use it as a media file in a new project? Output a BluRay? Watch it on your computer? Watch it on an iPad or iPad?

Knowing how you're going to use it will help determine which Share method to use to create it.

BTW, no matter which method you use, if it's a true MP4, you can change the suffix of the file to .mp4 if you want to. It makes no difference as long as your media player can read the codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just watch it on the computer and TV. Not all the coworkers/clients have quick time to play. I noticed some of them can't play .m2t or .mov. So I think mp4 would be better to share with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Share/Portable Device/iPad setting and see what you think of the results.

This setting produces a nice, compact, high-quality mp4 file. At most, they may have to install the free Quicktime player -- but probably not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to Share/Portable Device/iPad setting, and that works!!!  And yes after I shared to .mov, I changed the suffix of the file to .mp4, that works too!

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news, and thanks for reporting your successes.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In very general terms (remember the word "general"), the wrapper is far less important, than the CODEC inside that wrapper. In many cases, if the file extension (the format and wrapper) is not to the likeing of a particular program, one can often just change that extension.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, share with IPOD and IPHONE didn't come out as good as Handbrake freeware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's nothing at all wrong with using a third-party encoder. Even After Effects is complimented with one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2011 Dec 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling with something very similar: I'd like to save an edited file in the original 1920x1080 in MP4 onto a computer file (rather than DVD). In my Premiere Elements 9.0, the "Share" section doesn't seem to offer that choice (all the "share" opportunities take it down to 720 or less). Or did I miss it?

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2011 Dec 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said above, you not only have the choice of outputting an mp4 from Premiere Elements, you have SEVERAL options, depending on the quality and compression level you're looking for.

How do you plan to share this video? On the web? on a BluRay disc? on an iPad or iPod? Each of these demands its own unique kind of mp4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>"How do you plan to share this video? On the web? on a BluRay disc? on an iPad or iPod? Each of these demands its own unique kind of mp4."

I for one would like to know how to use PE9 to save a 1920x1080 m2ts edited project to a file so it can be later used by another program to burn a blue ray disk.

I have tried various combinations without success without reducing the quality of the picture as compared with burning it directly to disk (using PE9 only)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reuse your hi-def video in another hi-def project, use Share/Computer/MPEG with the 1440x1080 30i preset. This will produce an m2t/mts video that will work perfectly in a project set up for HDV.

That doesn't mean it's the ideal format for every use, Ted. As I keep saying, the best output format depends on what you're planning to do with it.

There is no generic "mp4" output format, for instance, any more than there's a one-size-fits-all MPEG output format. It depends on what you're going to do with the mp4 after you output it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complicated stuff.

In this case, I want to play back from a USB drive on a Samsung LN40C630K1FXZA at a trade show. The set supports 12 file extensions in 9 containers with an assortment of video codecs. I've successfully tested it with a video I downloaded that has an .mp4 extension, so I was shooting for that. In that MP4 container, it will take an H.264 BP/MP/HP or MPEG4 SP/ASP or XVD codec. (Among other choices, there's .wmv in an ASF container with Windows Media Video v9 codec.) My source material is 1920x1080, which the set supports.

Thanks very much for the support, Steve!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are on the same boat, MFerring. I need to put these videos in a flash USB drive and play in the trade show too. I decided to export them to .m2t in order to keep the max. quality and then convert to MP4 via Handbrake. I am quite satisfied with the out come

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Samsung, I would recommend using Share/Portable Device/iPad. Click the Advanced button and, on the Advanced settings panel, set the output size for 1920x1080. (When you close the panel, you'll have the option of saving this as a permanent preset, in case you need it again later.)

That should give you an optimized hi-def mp4. Assuming, of course, that your original footage and project were set up as hi-def video.

And assuming the Samsung has, as you seem to say, a built-in player device of some kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that suggestion earlier in this string and had tried it. My PE9 shows a different dialog, with only "Apple iPod and iPhone" and when I try to increase the output size, it returns an error: "Invalid frame rate/frame size for this Level" and asks me to change things to a lower rez. Maybe the iPad option begins to appear on PE10?

However, I tried RGB2CMYK2's suggestion and bingo. Worked.

Thanks to everybody!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. The iPad option was added in version 10.

Glad you found a solution regardless!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines