• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What to do about these pesky drop-downs if generating ePub output?

Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I maintain a large RH9 WebHelp Pro project with several hundred topics and probably thousands of DHTML dropdowns.

My employers are now asking me about the possibility of "mobilising" the project. I understand that the ePub format does not handle dropdowns.

What are my options? Is there a scripting solution that would automatically convert all my dropdowns to mini-topics? Any other ideas?

--

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

ePub 2 does not support scripting. You can create an ePub with dropdowns and some readers may keep working, but don't count on it.

There is no scripting solution to convert your dropdowns automatically yet. I'm sure it can be done, but that will require some scripting. You also have to determine whether you want to patch the output only or whether you want to patch the source itself.

Another option is to remove the drop-downs from your output by using CBT, but that's quite a lot of work for hundreds of dropdowns. You may be able to do that with a script.

Just remember that the ePub script generates the output for you. When you want the ePub script to patch your HTML, you'll need to modify the default ePub script.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The dilemma is that the content of these dropdowns is essential, so the CBT option -- publishing to ePub without the converted drop-down content -- is not useful. Bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp