• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFmail errors- how to prevent error message from user?

Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings

I have an app in which the admin user sends notices to Vendors who have signed up to recieve emails when a new bid is posted.

Even though I have "required="yes" validate="email"" at intial Vendor sign up (I think email validation is better served using Javascript, I've heard anyway) inevitably, contact emails go bad- and there are about 5000 vendors in the system.

When a user (admin) sends the notices, if there is a mal-formed or dead email address in the DB, it dislays my default error screen even though the send transaction was successful.

Any advice on how to prevent this?

Thanks in advance for your help

sakonnetweb

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your cfmail tag, put a special email address in the FailTo attribute.  Then see what mail that address gets after each mailing and update your db accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As well as Dan's suggestion.

You can use the <cftry><cfctach> syntax to provide specific error handling to specific exceptions generated by specifc code.

I.E. you could wrap the <cfmail...> tag with a <cftry>...</cftry> block and then create a specific <cfcatch...> block that handles the bad email address exception any way you desire.  As Dan sugested I would sugest somehow collecting the bad email address and providing them to somebody that can clean them from the data.

You could than also have a defalult <cfcatch...> block that would handle any other type of exception and|or rethrow the exception out to your current exception handler.

Some people don't like the concept of try|catch syntax, but I like it and feel it is a pretty elegant solution for this type of thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks for all the help.

I think I left out a part. The user can't get into the system to delete- that needs to be done at my level.

When there's an addendum to send, the user sends out the attached file to all who have viewed the original Bid package. They would like to print the resulting page which shows the list of who the recepients were. When the error page comes up instead, they obviously can't print the list.

If the only way I can test for bad mail is to use FailTo, that test message would go out to 5000 vendor contacts- is there a way to show the resulting list even though some of the emails were bad?

IOW can code be used to ignore bad addresses and continue processing the rest?

Thanks again....

sakonnetweb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm missing something here.  If you have an email address in the correct format, you don't know if it's valid or not until you send mail to it.  If it's valid, nothing happens.  Otherwise, there is an Undeliverable mail reply.

On the ColdFusion side, all the cfmail tag does it generate a file and put it in the Spool folder. 

So my question is, what is causing your error page to run? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
<cfset thisBidID = session.bid_ID>

<cfquery name="list_sendto" datasource="#Request.BaseDSN#">

SELECT lc.contact_fname, lc.contact_lname, lc.contact_email,
b.ReferenceNumber, b.Title, b.Description,
jb.bid_ID, jv.vendor_ID

FROM ((junction_bid_ccc jb
LEFT
JOINjunction_vendor_ccc jv
ONjb.cccode_ID = jv.cccategory_ID)

LEFT
JOINlookup_contact lc
ONlc.vendor_new_ID = jv.vendor_ID)
LEFT
JOINBid b
ONb.new_bid_ID = jb.bid_ID
WHERE jb.bid_ID = #thisBidID#
ANDlc.contact_email <> ''
ANDlc.contact_email IS NOT NULL
GROUP
BY lc.vendor_new_ID, lc.contact_email, lc.contact_lname,
lc.contact_fname, b.new_bid_ID, b.ReferenceNumber,

b.Title,

b.Description, jb.bid_ID, jv.vendor_ID

</cfquery>

<cfset thisReferenceNumber = list_sendto.ReferenceNumber>

<cfset thisTitle = list_sendto.Title>

<cfmail query="list_sendto" to="#contact_email#" from="whatever@whatever.com"

subject="Bid Notification" server="emailsrv1.cityofnewport.priv"

groupcasesensitive="no">

<p>You are receiving this message because .... etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation