• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There was an error while copying to the Clipboard. An internal error occurred.

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this question has been on for a long time but everyone seems to ignore it, so I'll just give it another shot.
I get this error when trying to copy something.

Most of the time, if i ignore the error I can still find it in the clipboard.

Sometimes I'm lucky and it doesn't happen (using the same document), so this clears that it has no copyright protection.

Yesterday I worked all day on a document with no problems, but today I'm losing a lot of time dealing with the problem and trying to fix it. (hope this clears that I have all software up to date and no plugins missing)

The thing is that I often work on asian character texts and ignoring the error does no good because all I have left in the clipboard is junk data (an example of copied text: ‘¾—zŒõ”­“dƒVƒXƒeƒ€‚ÌLCA)

If I try to copy again, sometimes it works (I have to try from 3 up to more than 15 times though), but I will get the error when I try copying the next word.
I really doubt there's an instant solution for this, so all I'm asking is for you to stop ignoring this issue and try to release an update with a fix for this before people start switching to other programs.
Pretty please??
Thank you

P.S.

As you can see, no answer

since 2008

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1171929#1171929

up to 2011
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4064251#4064251

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

I was having this problem on Acrobat X and I tried everything in this thread and nothing worked and now I finally tried this:

Help Menu -> "Repair Adobe Reader Installation"

And BOOM it's all fixed!!!!!  No more stupid copy error!!!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto - Someone please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej to Your All.

If you have are HP printer, Your problem it were, You shoot only install basic driver's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Does Adobe even pay attention to these boards? It seems they could at least report that they are investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello jglamas, smoore0400, and Helgster,

Thank you for your report. Since we haven't been able to reproduce your problem, would you please give us a little more info so that we could narrow down the problem?

1) What's your OS version/language?

2) Is there any language support installed on the OS? (ie. "Install files for East Asian languages", "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages")

3) What's your Adobe Reader version/language? (Help > About Adobe Reader)

4) Is there any security restriction on the PDF file you are using? (File > Properties > Security)

5) Do you have the fonts used in the PDF file installed on your machine?

6) Does it happen with English text in the same PDF file as well?

7) Is there any other application you have opened during the problem occurs? Please try rebooting your machine, and only launch Adobe Reader/Acrobat to see if the problem persists.

8) Some googling showed me that the similar problem exists with Excel. With that case, Skype add-in in IE and FF was causing the problem. Please see the second post on this link for more detail. Could it be the case for you?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact problem too. It began after an Adobe Reader X update about a week ago. Disableing the Skype add-in as suggested above fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well in my case we are runing Adobe 8 ver8.3.1.  

On a Citrix box running Windows Server 2003.

I would be more than happy to do a remote session so you can see it yourself. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did someone get respond on that problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Our Enterprise Admin guide which helps with Citrix related technology... no longer support Acrobat/Reader 8.

Please give this a try using newer versions.  I do know Copy/Paste works as I use it regularily.  Though I haven't tried this with Asiant fonts as per original forum post.

Thanks

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Out of the thousands of reports you (Adobe) decide to answer you pick this really specific (Citrix) one.

I've been surfing now for hours (again) to resolve this issue and nothings has worked.

Is there a way you can answer the wider range of questions?

The errormessage is "There was an error while copying to the Clipboard. An internal error occurred."

I use Adobe Reader 10.1.7 and Windows 7 (64 bit).

The error-message seems useless as it still copies to the Clipboard.

But getting this message and having to click it away gets really annoying.

I've tried all solutions offered (emptying clipboards in Word & Excel; I have no Skyp-Add-on; etc. etc.) but come up empty as to a permanent solution.

This only started a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately can't tell you when/how exactly.

And it doesn't happen all the time, but very, very often.

I truly hope you can address this issue (for all of us).

Kind regards,

Nanette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NanetteKalisvaart,

I still cannot reproduce this problem on my machine. It would be great if you can answer the following questions (slightly modified from my above post):

1. What's your OS version/language?
  2. 32 or 64-bit?
  3. Is it happening to files in English, or some other language? (What language?)
  4. If it's happening to other language, is there any language support installed on the OS? (ie. "Install files for East Asian languages", "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages")
  5. What's your Adobe Reader version/language? (Help > About Adobe Reader)
  6. Is there any security restriction on the PDF file you are using? (File > Properties > Security)
  7. Do you have the fonts used in the PDF file installed on your machine?
  8. Does it happen with English text in the same PDF file as well?
  9. Is there any other application you have opened during the problem occurs? Please try rebooting your machine, and only launch Adobe Reader/Acrobat to see if the problem persists.
  10. Have you tried uninstall and reinstall Adobe Reader? Use of cleaner (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html) might help.

Thank you,

Rebecca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for trying again.

To try and answer your questions:

1. Windows 7 Dutch

2. 64-bit

3. It happens to files in Dutch and English.

4. I haven't installed any 'strange' language files.

5. Adobe Reader Version 10.1.7

6. No (security restriction).

7. I don't see why not (I didn't install any fonts but it used to work fine like it is now).

8. I don't understand the question. See question 3?

9. As stated the problem is not consistent. The first time around in a document I don't get the message but from the second try on I do.

10. Yes, I have tried uninstall en reinstall. I have not tried the cleaner and will do so tomorrow but don't want to loose all my answers here. (Maybe next time start with this option. 🙂 )

But maybe instead of looking at my particular settings, since it seems to have happend to loads of people, check in the program when this message is displayed. Something is off there. Because although it shows the message, it turns out it is still copied to the Clipboard.

It seems therefore a useless message (as also more people have suggested).

I think you get a clear picture when you read all the messages (also in other threads) about this topic.

Kind regards,

Nanette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nanette,

Thank you for all the info! Your problem might be slightly different from the original problem jglamas posted, since his copied data are corrupted, whereas you mention your data is just fine.

I'll try to replicate your environment (Windows 7 Dutch 64-bit, Dutch Reader 10.1.7, PDF contains English and Dutch) and try to reproduce the problem. Steps should be:

1. Launch Reader

2. Open a PDF file

3. Highlight some text (how much?)

4. Click Edit > Copy

5. Text is copied onto clipboard

6. Without doing anything in Reader, click Edit > Copy again (for the same text?)

7. Error is thrown

Please let me know if these steps describe what you did exactly.

Also, would you be able to share the PDF file with us, maybe via email?

Thank you,

Rebecca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rebecca,

I have used the cleaner.

Then I installed Reader again. Only now it's version 11.0.0.

Unfortunately non of these changes (cleaner & newer version) had the desired effect.

I still get the error-message.

As to the steps described above in your reply, now I get the Error-message right away (so no step 6).

Yes, I could share a pdf-file with you, what is the e-mailaddress you wish to have me send it?

FYI, when I look in C:\Users\Nanette\AppData\Local\Adobe is see this

Adobe Nanette.JPG

Is there anything in a cache-file maybe that is interfering?

Kind regards,

Nanette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nanette,

Too bad the cleaner didn't solve the problem

Thank you for sending me the files. I'll try them.

I'm not sure if having old cache files have anything to do with this, but I will try installing Reader 9, and upgrade to 10, then 11. Thank you for the detail!

Rebecca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I had a chat with Adobe Germany. They told me Adobe Reader doesn't support network installations such as Citrix. http://www.adobe.com/support/programs/customer/gss.html

What does that mean? Adobe doesn't support us because its freeware (or you have a support program/commercial) or because its only made for fat clients (technical)? http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/tech-specs.html

Can a staff member confirm that here? Can't find an exclusion for Citrix.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this issue ever get resolved? Anyone has an update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really wonder how often product teams expect customers will just give up and stop bothering them about problems like this.  I appreciate that intermittent problems that are hard to recreate are frustrating for product teams - it's also frustrating for customers who not only have to deal with the issues but are given a laundry list of "solutions".  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

I too encounter this problem ocassionally.  It is very intermittent and very difficult to reproduce at will.  Usually, after no more than three or four attempts to copy the exact same text, it works without the nastygram.  I don't think I've ever had text that could not be copied if I was not persistent enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still hoping for a fix to this also. It's very easy for me to reproduce. I just need to hold CTRL and mash C a bunch of times and I will eventually get it within 5 or 10 attempts. There will be stretches where I get it every time.

I find it irritating that Adobe hasn't simply released a patch that suppresses the error message. They don't even need to fix the actual error, because as far as I can tell there is no error... my text is copying and pasting perfectly. I just need to OK this obnoxious dialogue box.

Adobe, just release a simple plugin that kills the dialogue box and you will make 10,000 Acrobat users extremely happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What's your OS version/language? Windows 8.1/English
  2. 32 or 64-bit? 64-bit
  3. Is it happening to files in English, or some other language? (What language?) English
  4. If it's happening to other language, is there any language support installed on the OS? (ie. "Install files for East Asian languages", "Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages")
  5. What's your Adobe Reader version/language? (Help > About Adobe Reader)  11.0.09
  6. Is there any security restriction on the PDF file you are using? (File > Properties > Security) None
  7. Do you have the fonts used in the PDF file installed on your machine? Yes
  8. Does it happen with English text in the same PDF file as well? Yes
  9. Is there any other application you have opened during the problem occurs? Please try rebooting your machine, and only launch Adobe Reader/Acrobat to see if the problem persists. No, only in Acrobat
  10. Have you tried uninstall and reinstall Adobe Reader? Use of cleaner (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html) might help. No, but I've had the problem on other machines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2015 Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Abobe support,

I note that in your replies above you ask for information so you can replicate the problem on your machine (but apparently you can't).

I've been purchasing and using all versions of adobe acrobat since about 2005 I think, and every version of the program has given me the same error, "There was an error while copying to the Clipboard. An internal error occurred.".

If you actually don't know about this problem then that surprises me a little.................

Could you possibly just fix it please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a fix to the copy and paste pdf issue. It occurs because Adobe does hard returns at the end of a line instead of word wraps.

I found the site below that has an elegantly simple fix that I installed and I no longer have the problem. Hopefully Adobe will inocorporate that into their program.

http://www.onehourprogramming.com/blog/2010/9/1/fix-copy-and-pasting-in-pdfs.html?lastPage=true#comm....

Best to you,

starnet7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely an Adobe problem. Disabling Skype add-in to IE helps some (when copy is within same line) but copy across line break still produces same message. Copying across hard returns in other programs (e.g., MS Word) does not cause same problem.

..... OK. After restart, this problem does not re-occur, at least on my POS Windows Vista box. Maybe the Skype disable to IE was the cure (even though neither of them were running when error message occurred). So, thanks, I guess.

Message was edited by: paulroyster

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, and i was having the problem outside the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in windows 7

start-control panel-uninstall programs

uninstall the "Skype Click to Call", this will uninstall addins from ie, firefox, you dont have to uninstall skype.

in ie and firefox you can disable addons but can not uninstall them using ie or firefox interface, when you uninstall Skype Click to Call, it will remove it from all added browsers.

This works me now.

Edit 1:

Unfortunately skype trick does not work.

I recently switched to windows 8 and reliazed that there is no copy error any more.

Edit2:

This error maybe caused by Babylon dictionary which has an Adobe Acrobat or Reader addon which captures the text from pdf documnet when ctrl+right mouse click. This feature is enabled when it is copied to" C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\plug_ins " or  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins " directory, so if it is copied such copying error appeared, if not copied it does not appear. Baylon dictionary addin is installed when you install babylon dictionary software, and it is here " C:\Program Files (x86)\Babylon\Babylon-Pro\Utils ", its name is " BabylonRPI.api "

Edit3:06-April-2013

My experience is that Babylon Dictionary was causing this error. With babylon version 10 acrobat does not give that kind of error anymore, on windows 7 x64, but previous version leftover files may cause this error again even if you remove previous versions and install version 10. With a clean install of windows 7 x64 with babylon dictionary version 10 there is no error anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines