• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 11 will not install on Windows 7

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried EVERY option in trying to get version 11 installed - even system restore - all I get is this error (see image below) I use Dell Inspiron 1501, AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Technology, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro, SP1. IE9 and Google Chrome is installed. I use IE9 for Windows and development purposes.

Untitled.png

Has anyone actually been able to resolve this?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2011 Dec 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html) already and for kicks, tried it again. No luck. Though in the DOS window, it does say that it can't reach certain priviledges. I know what that statement means, just not sure why it happens - even as an admin and UAC turned off.

I also tried http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall and it doesn't even show Adobe Flash Player (of any version) but besides that, it didn't find anything to fix.

So, in my opinion, Adobe has really screwed up and should not only fix this but compensate us for our trouble.

In the mean time, Google Chrome works and maybe M$ should follow their lead and include flash with their browser.

So... any other ideas other than what's been tried?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m@penman wrote:

I tried that (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html) already and for kicks, tried it again. No luck. Though in the DOS window, it does say that it can't reach certain priviledges. I know what that statement means, just not sure why it happens - even as an admin and UAC turned off.

Please do the following. Make sure you disable your antivirus and all "Web shields", "File Shields" etc., before proceeding with the installation.

1. Download the uninstaller from here: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player_64bit.exe
  2. When you see the IE9 prompt, choose "Save". Do not choose "Run".
  3. Close IE9, find the uninstaller you just downloaded and then right click it and choose "Run As Administrator".
  4. After the uninstaller terminates, reboot.
  5. Once the system reboots to the desktop, disable your antivirus app again.
  6. Download the installer from here: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax_64bit.exe Once again, choose to Save, not Run.
  7. Close IE9.
  8. Find the installer you just downloaded and then right click it and choose "Run As Administrator" once more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2011 Dec 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I followed the instructions except I had to use the 32 bit but when I tried to install... I have this error message. I have no idea what to do, any ideas?

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 11, 2011 Dec 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you get if you click that link shown in your screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same help page as before... would be nice if it took you to a specific web page since they know the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your error message and solution is listed here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#main_Error_messages_sometimes_displayed_during_Flash_Play...

Message was edited by: Xircal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know. That falls into the EVERYTHING category. I tried it at least twice.

It would be nice if Adobe would allow you to go back to version 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m@penman wrote:

Yes, I know. That falls into the EVERYTHING category. I tried it at least twice.

It would be nice if Adobe would allow you to go back to version 10.

There's nothing to prevent you from reverting to a previous version if you wish. Older versions are archived here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

But you'll have to use the uninstaller to remove the newer version first: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

However, a newer version of Flash is expected shortly to address the vulnerability recently posted all over the web: http://www.securitytracker.com/id/1026392

Needless to say, if you revert to 10, you'll be exposing your system to that vulnerability.

UPDATE:

If you're using a security product with optional shields enabled, disable them before you run the uninstall/installer. Most of these incorporate file scanners which spring into action as soon as you attempt to install or uninstall an executable. This interferes with the installation process which leads to corruption further down the line.

If you use AVAST antivirus, right click the orange icon in the systray and choose to disable all shields for one hour. Here are a couple of instances where this approach worked:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see the previous versions but I think the best solution for me is to use Google Chrome - for now anyways.

I followed these steps too. Still, the ActiveX control can't be registered and I'm not about to reinstall Windows either. Good grief. This shouldn't be hard at all.

Thank you for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m@penman wrote:

I didn't see the previous versions but I think the best solution for me is to use Google Chrome - for now anyways.

I followed these steps too. Still, the ActiveX control can't be registered and I'm not about to reinstall Windows either. Good grief. This shouldn't be hard at all.

Thank you for your assistance.

Google Chrome's Flash player is embedded and therefore part of the browser. It also updates automatically, so you don't have to concern yourself with that aspect.

Personally though, I just don't like the "tabs on top" layout. At least with Firefox, you can rearrange the layout to your own liking, but Google's options in that department are very limited.

It sounds like you don't have write permissions though.

I was trying to solve a problem on my own machine quite recently and came across a ton of files which displayed "Access Denied" whenever I tried to delete them. They were all located in the Adobe Reader folder. I still use 9.4.6, but the Firefox plugin doesn't update when you update the Windows installation. So I'd decided to uninstall it and then delete all the folders and their contents in the expectation that it would resolve the issue once I'd reinstalled it (which it didn't). But the "Access Denied" warning was preventing that. Even though I was logged on as Admin at the time, I was still getting the warning. When is an administrator not an administrator one might ask.

I finally changed permissions on all of them to "Full Control" which subsequently allowed me to delete them all.

In your particular case, you might want to check security properties for Flash11e.ocx which is located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash That's the Flash ActiveX control. So right click the file, go to Properties and then click the Security tab. "Administrators" should have all the boxes checkmarked except the one bottom left called "Special Permissions". If that's not the case, then that might be where the problem lies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made sure that Administrators are set on the folders... still no go. Good grief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I tried that. I even tried installing under the Administrator windows user account, still got the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m@penman wrote:

I made sure that Administrators are set on the folders... still no go. Good grief.

Let's try it another way.

1. Click the Start button and then in the Search field at the bottom, type CMD and click the Search icon.
  2. Right click cmd.exe when it appears in the menu and choose "Run As Administrator".
  3. At the command prompt type: c:\regsvr32.exe Flash11e.ocx and hit Enter
  4. Type: Exit and hit Enter to close the command prompt.

Hopefully, you'll get a message that "Flash11e.ocx" registered successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I just tried that and received an error when trying to register the DLL - one that implies that I'm not an admin or that regsvr32.exe can't run as an admin.

It's like the security in Windows is all screwed up - even system restore won't work, which isn't Adobe's fault but then maybe they could have made this process a lot easier and not so dependent upon average users who are not Adobe or Window OS programmers.

Thank you for your help, I'm going a different route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's because the path isn't specified. Could you try it again, only as follows: regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash11e.ocx

UPDATE

There's a list of error messages you might get when you run the command in this Microsoft kb article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249873

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I specified the path but since I think I had a bigger problem so... I didn't want to do this but I reinstalled Windows (clean install), let it update, and now it works.

Thanks again for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, thanks for letting me know. Glad to hear you're up and running again anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines