Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Java Applet Files in RH8 Output

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to everyone!

My name is Livia, I am from Romania, and I work as a Technical Writer for a company that makes billing software for telecommunications providers. One of my tasks consists in creating WebHelp files for our web-based applications, and I have recently encountered a problem for which I need some expert advice.

While investigating a recent bug (the help isn't working properly on the web application it's for), I have discovered that there are some Java-related files missing from my help output: webhelp.cab, webhelp.jar and whskin_papplet.htm. These files exist in older projects created with RH5. I now use RH8. The Adobe help page for RH 8 (At http://help.adobe.com/en_US/RoboHelp/8.0/RoboHTML/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d11aff59c2a0-7fb6.html) lists these files as normally present in the output, and yet, in one of the discussion threads on this forum (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/24865), someone says "webhelp.jar is not being used in the output so you can safely remove it if required. It has been fixed in RH8 and doesn't come in the output."

What is the correct version? Should these files appear in the help output or not?

Thank you,

Livia Miron

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

The files should not be present. They are not needed. They are (or were) related to the way the navigation pane works.

In RoboHelp 7 and earlier, there was the following option in the WebHelp generation dialogs:

tmp1.PNG

As you can see, RoboHelp 8 does not offer this option:

tmp2.png

Hope this helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Captiv8tr! I'd read something about RH7 containing a specific option for Java applets, but I hadn't actually seen the menu, so your answer is very helpful. I guess I'll tell R&D to look elsewhere for the problem.

Another file I'm not sure about is ehelp.xml. I've also seen it in older projects, while in the new ones generated with RH8 it's missing. Do you happen to know what it does and if it should be present?

Thanks,

Livia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH9 now, and my WebHelp output still includes webhelp.jar, webhelp.cab, and whskin_papplet.htm (among many others that are a mystery to me). And webhelp.jar always causes build problems for our software, so I have to delete it from the output each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan

Perhaps it has something to do with it being an old project? I just checked a few RoboHelp 9 outputs and none contain webhelp.jar.

See http://help.adobe.com/en_US/RoboHelp/8.0/RoboHTML/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d11aff59c2a0-7fb6.html for information about the different various files you mention.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for considering this issue, Peter. It is an old project, originally started in RH7 I believe and then used in RH8, and recently converted to RH9. I would have thought that conversion to RH9 format would eliminate unneeded files too... but then again, RH doesn't do some other things as I would have thought, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp