6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2012 4:28 AM by Phoenix89MR RSS

Tablet Pen: Gone Bad or Just Not Properly Set?

Phoenix89MR Community Member

I've recently developed a problem with my Wacom Saphire tablet and pen (bought in 2005).  I don't think it's limited to Photoshop, but it sure shows up there.

In PSCS5 (Mac OS 10.6.8, iMac 3.4 GHz, Core i7), I recently tried using the brush tool and it appears to behave oddly (and unusably).  There is a delayed reaction in both application of pen pressure on the tablet as well as release.  In other words, if I tap on a command, for example, it takes about 5 seconds to react.  If I try to draw, it takes about that long for the writing to begin.  If I stop writing, it continues to write for 5 seconds after the pen tip leaves the surface of the tablet.

The problem is fairly recent.  I cannot recall installing new software since the last time I used it.  I'm a pretty bare bones computer user and don't have much if any squirrely software--all pretty mainstream. 

I have installed the latest software prescribed by Wacom 5.2.5-3.  I've zapped the PRAM.  The tablet behaves the same way on another computer

Is it likely the pen or tablet has just gone south?  Or is there a setting that I don't know about that causes this behavior?

If there is a new tablet in my future, and recommendations out there?

• 1. Re: Tablet Pen: Gone Bad or Just Not Properly Set?
          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

That sounds like a driver problem, but could also be a hardware problem with the tablet USB connection.

I'd suggest contacting Wacom support -- they're good at isolating problems like this.

• 2. Re: Tablet Pen: Gone Bad or Just Not Properly Set?
            Grant H Community Member

The tablet behaves the same way on another computer

It sounds like a performance issue, does it happen with only the brush tool, does it happen with only a small file open, whats the other comp, and what version PS?

G

• 3. Re: Tablet Pen: Gone Bad or Just Not Properly Set?

It  does not only happen with the brush tool; in fact, it seems to behave similarly in other uses on the computer.  File size does not matter.  All my tests have been on blank sheets of paper.

If I try to use it as mouse--i.e., clicking and selecting by tapping on the tablet surface -- the reaction is delayed.

The worst problem is that when I lift the stylus off the page, it behaves as though the stylus is still on the page--for about 5 seconds.  Only if I lift it far enough off the tablet for the tablet to not even see the stylus does it stop within that 5 second period.

I've written to Wacom, and so far all they've told me to do is reinstall the driver, which I've done several times without success.  At least one problem is that the product I'm working with is a "Sapphire" tablet, and Sapphire is not one of the models to choose from.  i'm told Graphire 3 drivers are supposed to work, but I'm awaiting further clarification from Wacom about what the right driver is.

I'm trying to make this work on two different computers, one a 3.4 Gig Core i7 iMac and a MacBook Air. Both are recent purchases, both are running Snow Leopard (10.6.8).  I've got other machines I can test on (Leopard, Tiger, Lion), but my maiin machine is Snow Leopard and I need it to work on this one.

I'm using Photoshop CS5 Extended (12.0.4).

• 5. Re: Tablet Pen: Gone Bad or Just Not Properly Set?

No good; I get a "version mismatch" message in the system proferernces.

• 6. Re: Tablet Pen: Gone Bad or Just Not Properly Set?

I just solved the problem.

After talking with a Wacom rep, I learned that the nib can get crusted or just stuck in the "on" position over time.  Just remove the nib with a pair of tweezers or pliers.  Mine had junk at the juncture of the nib and pen.  I cleaned it up, put the nib back in and --presto --it works again.

I also learned that in the older tablets it is extremely important to remove all prior software before upgrading to a new version.  Wacom provides a removal utility in an applications folder called "Bamboo" or "Pen Tablet."  This removal utility permits you to remove both the preferences (do this first) and then the application itself (including the utility).  Many programs remove the old version on their own, but the older Wadom drivers do not.