• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can anyone help me with Adobe Flash Player?

Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't install/run this new Adobe Flash Player with my OS and it's drivin' me nuts!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When posting, please provide:

• Operating system version (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • Web browser and version (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
  • The Flash Player version 
  • Give us a brief explanation of the problem, please include any information you feel is important

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!

OS - Windows Vista 64bit (the problem)

Internet Explorer 8 (I believe also 64 bit but am not sure as to where to verify it)

When I get blocked out it's telling me I need v.11 but I thought that v.10 would also work.

Everytime I get an e-mail or a link on a site, things that used to open up in my Windows Media Player are now routed to the Adobe Flash Player and I get a page that keeps telling me that I can't download or install (run) the Flash Player because I'm using Win Vista 64bit. I'm missing out on a lot of things that I didn't used to because of this and don't understand why any video attachments or links won't open up in my Media Player like they used to.

I really appreciate your t ime and effort in helping me out Carl!

Billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl -

What are these 'Correct Answer' and 'Helpful Answer' buttons all about?

Should I click on them or do you?

Billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the following files:

Windows 64-bit: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash _player_64bit.exe

Windows 32-bit Flash Player for Internet Explorer

Close Internet Explorer.

Run uninstaller.

Reboot.

Run installer.

Not a 24/7 help line, might be hours before there is an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. I uninstalled the Flashplayer for Windows 64bit and will try to install it after reboot.

Thanks a lot!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install the 32-bit Flash Player after the reboot, the 64-bit Flash Player 11 works only with Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl,

I opened up a Flash Player URL and a page came up with a window that the attachment I got would play in. On top of the window it's telling me that I need to upgrade the Flash Player (Download it from Adobe) and at the bottom of the window it's telling me "Upgrade to Flash Player 10 for improved playback performance. Upgrade Now or More Info." I'm sorry for my ignorance but I'm not sure if I should click on "Download it from Adobe" on the top red bar of the screen or click on "Upgrade Now" at the bottom orange bar of the screen. Would you please advise? Thanks a lot - Billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened up a Flash Player URL and a page came up with a window that the attachment I got would play in. On top of the window it's telling me that I need to upgrade the Flash Player (Download it from Adobe) and at the bottom of the window it's telling me "Upgrade to Flash Player 10 for improved playback performance. Upgrade Now or More Info." I'm sorry for my ignorance but I'm not sure if I should click on "Download it from Adobe" on the top red bar of the screen or click on "Upgrade Now" at the bottom orange bar of the screen.

What is this site?

What files are in Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash ?

Can you see the spinning F at this site?  http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Start I.E., click Tools, click Manage add-ons, change Show to All add-ons.  Is the Shockwave Flash Object enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The site is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tma8_QELjIM

In Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash I get:

Sorry. We can't find http://windows/SysWOW64/Macromed/Flash

The 'F' is a flash.gif but it's not spinning around

On top of the page there's a yellow strip saying: This website wants to install the following add-on: 'Adobe Flash Player' from Adobe Systems In.' If you trust the website and the add-on and want to install it, click here . . .

In IE Add-On's, the only Shockwave is Shockwave ActiveX Control and it's Enabled (showing ALL add-on's)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash I get:

Sorry. We can't find http://windows/SysWOW64/Macromed/Flash

Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash is not a web site but a folder on your hard drive.  Use WINDOWS Explorer not Internet Explorer.

Are you using the 32-bit Internet Explorer?

Did you use the 32-bit Flash Player installer(install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit.exe)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 31, 2011 Dec 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Explorer -

Manually locating Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash I found:

FlashPlayerTrust

FlashInstall

flashplayer.xpt

FlashUtil10y_Plugin

FlashUtil11a_Plugin

Install

NPSWF32.dll

I remember you telling me to click on the install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit.exe but right now I'm using the default 64bit v. of Win. Vista - Have no idea as to w hat to do inside Inside Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash thou - In my Downloads Folder I have both 'install_flash_player_10' and 'install_flash_player_64bit' Apps.

Thanks again Carl!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have 64-bit Vista but Flash Player 11 64-bit does not work with Vista 64-bit.  Moreover, the Flash Player you have installed is for web browsers other that Internet Explorer.

In your Downloads folder, delete ALL Adobe Flash files.

Then download this file: Windows 64-bit: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash _player_64bit.exe

Exit Internet Explorer.

Run the uninstaller file.

Reboot.

Using Windows Explorer, find the Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed folder and delete the Flash folder.  Then find the Windows\System32\Macromed folder and delete the Flash folder.

If you have no problems deleting those folders, then download this file: Windows 32-bit Flash Player for Internet Explorer

Exit Internet Explorer.

Run the installer file.

List the files in Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay -

Everything deleted without any problems and I downloaded the Win 32bit Flash Player for IE.

The folder for 'install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit ended up in my Billy Goodson > Downloads File.

I closed IE and the file installed but I can just find the Application for it and not all of the files to list them in Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash - . All of the files that I deleted when I deleted the Flash folder in Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed (Flash11e.ocx, FlashInstall, FlashUtil11e_ActiveX.dll and FlashUtil11e_ActiveX) are back in the Flash folder that was re-created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you see the spinning F at this site? http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Remember, use the 32-bit Internet Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - I get the red 'F' but it's not spinning. I sure wish that it would!

Do you think doing a complete System Recovery, to clean out my entire system would be of any help? I've been thinking about it and it was suggested by HP Pavilion Support when I was trying to resolve this problem with them weeks ago. This OS has really been put thru the wringer by so many different HP Tech's before I contacted you Carl. You've been sooo great helping me out but I feel as thou your effort's are all in vain because we're getting no where to our goal. What do you think?

I'm sorry for any confusion Carl -

Everything deleted without any problems and I downloaded the Win 32bit Flash Player for IE.

"List the files in Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash".

The folder's in Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash are:

Flash11e.ocx

FlashInstall

FlashUtil11e_ActiveX.dll

and FlashUtil11e_ActiveX

Billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are the correct files.

Start I.E., click Tools, click Manage add-ons, change Show to All add-ons. Is the Shockwave Flash Object enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO! And this is the first time I've seen it in the Add-ons window. Under Adobe Systems Incorporated there is Shockwave Flash Object - Adobe Syst. Inc. - DISABLED - 12/31/2011 3:14PM - Version 11.1.102.55.

Does this help you out Carl?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enable the Shockwave Flash Object and go to: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/  and then to:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tma8_QELjIM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - I'm there but don't know what to do. There's an 'X' in the Macintosh - O.S. box, the 'F' isn't spinning around and I need a little direction as to what to do in this window. I feel like you're getting me somewhere Carl!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you enable the Shockwave Flash Object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yea, right away and the window is still open as well as the window from the link you sent me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand your reply.  Ensure that the Shockwave Flash Object is enabled.  Close Internet Explorer.  Restart Internet Explorer and go to Youtube and view a video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm stuck at this link thou: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/. And should I close down the Add-On's window now that the Flash Object is Enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close the add-ons window.  What do you mean by "stuck at this link"?  Close your browser window and then restart the browser.  Go to a youtube video and play it.  Let me know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines