• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CONVERT: Adobe Digital Edition to normal PDF?

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I bought an Ebook which can only be written by that Adobe Digital Edition...I dont want to have spent my money for nothing so is it

possible to convert that digital edition format to normal PDF format which I can read on my Kindle?

Many Greetz from Germany!!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am interested in that as well, is it really such a hazle to get proper ebooks supported on most devices?!

especially if you wanna have german ones, you have to convert somehow or you are limeted in purchasing possibilities!

So is there a way to convert the adobe drm to kindle ?!

why does adobe not support a conversation ?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't support this because it would probably violate the the Digital Millennium Copyright Act---DMCA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, thats a nice description

OK how do I convert it to be able to read it on my Kindle which supports DRM ebooks - but as it seems not the one from Adobe ?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK how do I convert it to be able to read it on my Kindle which supports DRM ebooks - but as it seems not the one from Adobe ?!

"ebook" is not a format & it is the format that is key.
Kindle does not (currently) "do" EPUB.
See: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200505520&#recognize
DRM ebooks, for Kindle, use the Kindle DRM scheme for AZW files.
To view an "ebook", whose publisher applies DRM, on Kindle I suspect that you will have to obtain it from the Kindle book library .

An Adobe DRM'd document can only be viewed via Adobe Digital Editions (ADE)
ADE is part of a "package" to assure the intellectual property rights of a publisher are protected.
Summarizing information provided by Jim Lester over in the Adobe Digital Editions Forum:
( http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_digital_editions )

--| The .acsm file isn't the book - it a purchase ticket that allows you to download the book.
--| Content Server 4 protected ebooks can not be opened in either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader and can only be opened in Digital Editions.
(An eBook publisher would use Adobe's Content Server to apply Digital Rights Management (DRM) to the PDF/EPUB)
--| "Can I view a Adobe DRM'd document (.ePub or PDF) in a program other than Adobe Digital Editions?" — The answer is: No.
(No legitimate "convert" to a non-DRM PDF/EPUB either - being able to do so would defeat the purpose of publishing with DRM.)

The following file formats can be converted for the Kindle (AZW):
--|  Unprotected PDF (so, *no* DRM applied)
--|  TXT
--| Unprotected MOBI (so, *no* DRM applied)
--|  PRC natively
--|  HTML, DOC, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG,  or BMP

Calibre can convert a non-DRM PDF or EPUB file into the unprotected Mobipocket format that the Kindle can read.

A useful reference for users of eReaders is at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats
Scroll down to the "Supporting Hardware" table to view what formats a device supports.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

thanks for the answer, there is all in there which I wanted to know!

now I am only a little dissapointed by all those different DRM solutions, it makes it for a customer like me hard to get its books without killing thousand of trees.

seems the only way to get a book which is readable all the time is buying a hardcover version - otherwise you are stuck at different technologies which are not really interchangable to work with.

thanks anyhows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 31, 2011 Dec 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I find this a very interesting thread.... basically I have bought a digital dutch book, which I wanted to put on my kindle.... but if I understand this thread correctly...

It is not possible because Adobe does not condone it?

I payed for the book. Why does Adobe care on what E-reader I actually read it???

I bought the Kindle because I buy a lot of books at Amazon. But I am dutch, so would also like to be able to put dutch books on it.... But Adobe doesn't allow for that possibility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2011 Dec 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazon determines what can be put on a Kindle not Adobe.

For the Kindle Amazon use a proprietary DRM rather than Adobe's Content Server.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 02, 2012 Jan 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

True... but that goes for every single Ereader, doesn't it? All Ereaders have certain formats they allow and don't allow. As customers we should be allowed to convert the files (by whatever programm) to a format our Ereader does use.

This has nothing to do with Amazon or Kindle. This has to do with Adobe not allowing for his Epub to be converted to PDF, even if it's a legally bought book. So it's not Amazon obstructing my purchase in this case .

Amazon does not sell all languages and does allow for a lot of formats on his Kindle. So I should be allowed to format my dutch book to a format that can be put on the Kindle. I don't really care that Adobe does not agree with Amazon's policy. Lol Sony has certain formats too... does Adobe have a problem with that too? PDF is also an Adobe format, so what do they care?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines