Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Unable to open a protected PDF with Adobe Reader

Level 2

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to understand how LC Righs Management works. So what i'm doing is following:

1. Protecting a PDF with a specific preconfigured right in my policy server by using Acrobat Pro.

2. Trying to open same fine in Adobe Reader gives me "An error occured while performing thsi operation. Contact an Administrator if this proplem continues".

Same file can be opend in acrobat pro without any problems.

My certificate is installed. (port is 8443)

Any ideas why ADobe Reader faisl to read a protected PDF?

Thnx!

5 Replies

Former Community Member

Is the SSL certificate trusted on the machine that Reader is installed on?  One quick way to test this is to access the LiveCycle server from a browser (https://servername:8443), if a security warning is displayed by the browser, then you know that the cert is not trusted on the system.  This will cause Reader to throw an error.

Regards

Steve

Level 2

Hi Steve,

Yes, SSL is trusted. If it's not strusted, i getting a different message from teh ADobe Reader which actually is reffering to the SSL problem.

Also if SSL is not trusted, file can't be opend in Acrobat Pro. IN my case, file can be opened in ACrobat X Pro but not in Adobe Reader.

Maybe i can check for some log files on the server side for this? (or client if there are any?)

/ds

Former Community Member

What version or Rights Management was used to protect the PDF, and what are the exact versions of Acrobat Pro and Reader.  I can't recall exactly, but I think in the past there were some bugs where certain versions of reader would fail to open policy protected PDFs protected with a certain version of Rights Management.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the details.  You may want to contact Adobe technical support.

Regards

Steve

Level 2

Hi Steve,

Tnx, this might be the case here. I'm actuallu using the latest possible LifeCycle ES2 software from the adobe.com without SP2 installed:

Version:9.0.0.0.20091019.1.222918

For the Adobe Reader, it's 10.1.1 (also the latest one i could find)

/ds

Level 2

Yupp, SP2 fixed tis problem! Without SP2, Acrobat Reader can't open DRM protected PDF file.

Thanx Steve!