• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

merged webhelp copied to server

Participant ,
Sep 19, 2006 Sep 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The merged WebHelp works fine on my C drive, but when copied to the server, it opens to the blank parent screen rather than the child_1 screen, due to the absolute path I put in the parent meta code.

Perhaps when WebHelp is published using the dialog, the server info automatically replaces the absolute path in the parent meta code. However, in order to copy it to the server, I guess the path should be a relative path, right? How is that written?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why have an absolute path on your machine? The relative path should be fine for both your machine and the server.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I nearly replied that I copied the example on your website (and I'm profoundly grateful for your work), but on second look, I didn't do so. Your example does have the relative path - I had entered the absolute path instead.

Oops.
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's really no need to copy the Webhelp output to your server. Use the Publish feature in the fourth page of the Generate wizard. Simply create as many "Server Name"s and "URL" paths, then select one or more of them at run time. The beauty of the Publish feature is that RH only publishes the changed files, thereby reducing network traffic.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2006 Sep 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I have a related question, after reading the last response.

My WebHelp file will eventually be a merged file (so I can add separate department's docs). Fine, got that, no problem.

However, our IT department is asking me to follow their *software release* process, which means I have to publish to a DEV server, then *they* will move it to a production server.

What will that do to my links?? I can publish and that works fine, but I am now concerned about IT moving the files to another server.

Thanks in advance!
Diana
Please also reply to pro.techwrtier AT GMAIL dot com Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 20, 2006 Sep 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the production server has the same directory structure as the development server, your relative links will behave just fine.

For outside links, if you're supplied the whole path, it should work.

If you've used any relative links to directories outside your WebHelp folder, it will work if the development server has the targets where you are pointing.

A caution: Make sure they understand they must preserve your directory structure. They'll see whdata, whgdata and whxdata directories for the master project and every merged project. These are not duplicates of each other, and their contents cannot be combined, and they can't all be moved to a common directory. (Systems people sometimes like to tidy things up.)

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2006 Sep 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That should work then. Thanks Harvey!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp