• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I do a simple fade transition between clips??

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to learn my new Premiere Elements 9. I am a simple man, with simple needs. I like to just do a simple fade transition between video clips. There is no "fade" option on the transitions for PE9, I have tried "cross disolve" and "non-additive disolve", and they are freaking wierd. The one that comes the closest is cross-dissolve, It fades out the first clip fine, but the follow on clip starts with an awkward momentary freeze frame, which is not acceptable.

Any thoughts?

Clem

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clem,

Welcome to the forum.

The actual "fade" is Dip-to-Black.

If you are having issues with Cross-Dissolve, then it likely due to a lack of Handles. This ARTICLE goes into much more detail on Handles - what they are, and how they affect most Transitions.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2012 Jan 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fade is so often used that it has its own right-click feature. Right-click your clip and select from the fade options.

1.png

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2012 Jan 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neale, many thanks!!

Clem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2012 Jan 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neale,

DagNabit!  I tried that, and that is goofier than all the others!!  I don't want to fade to a momentary black screen!  Who wants to do that? That is worse than wierd.  Am I asking too much? a simple fade. I've used other programs, such as Windows Movie Maker, and Power Director that accomplish a simple fade from one clip to the next by simply adding a fade transition. Zippo snappo, no muss, no fuss done in .3 seconds.  Why does it have to be so difficult with this program??

Ted, once again I appreciate your response and effort..but really...I don't want to have to go to film school to do a simple fade transition!!  I mean, I need to do maybe 50 of these in a 20 minute video What you are suggesting could take days....and cost dozens of lives!!

Clem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you see anything but a smooth cross dissolve or fade to black then you probably have not renderd the area of the timeline where the effect is (red instead of green line at the top of the timeline. This only affects your preview, not the final product.

It can be faster to select apply a "dip to black" transition to the cut line between the clips than using the right click and fade although you can change the speed of the fade easier with this.

Make sure the transition is applied equally centered of the cut. You can alter this by selecting the transition properties if it is not for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ted,  thanks for trying, but nothing you just described sounds "simple".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A "fade" is a just that. It fades to black.

Fades to black are far from weird.They are very useful for indicating a complete change of subject or chapter in a long video story.

I think you are using the wrong descriptions,

Probably you want a cross dissolve where one scene slowly dissapears while the next one appears, the average picture level being constant.

There are two of them provided in transitions. Cross dissolve (what you call a fade) and non additive dissolve.

They both work perfectly if you apply them correctly and you have set up your project correctly to match your video camera or slides. (see many other posts on this)

You simply drag the 'transition icon' for the dissolve to the cut line between the two clips. Cant be any easier than that can it?

If you are seeing jerky results, it is because your computer is not fast enough to preview unrendered video (or set up right) - so render it!

As I said there should be no red lines at the top of the timeline where the transition is (otherwise render just that red part of the timeline)

More advanced:-

The dissolve period plainly shows in the video track. You can have it before, centered or after the cut depending on where you want the dissolve to start or finish in relation to moving objects in the video. (Right click and select effect properties to adjust)

You can even change the speed of the dissolve by dragging the edges of the effect boix in the timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>"I need to do maybe 50 of these in a 20 minute video"

This is the fastest way - apply all the effects and transitions AFTER you have assembled the clips.

First assemble all your clips first to the length you want

Don't bother to preview effects until you have assembled and applied ALL the transitions and effects.

Make sure you dont have any tiny gaps between clips

Add any text titles

Drag the cross dissolve transition icon to the join of each clip where you want the dissolve. (Dont bother to preview it yet)

Render the project (set work area markers to span the project)

Render everything (press Enter key)

Go and make a cup of coffee

Then preview it.

Try first 5 times first in case there is something else wrong with your computer

Remember any change to an effect may require re-rendering. You only have to render just that tiny part with the red line, not the whole video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also know that, since version 8, you can select several or all of the clips on your timeline and, by dragging a transition between any two, apply the transition between ALL of the clips you've selected. (From my book, of course.)

Does that help a little?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines