• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printed output problem-RH 9 prints drop down text above its parent text. It used to come out below!

Enthusiast ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. I found a potentionally nasty problem for our printed output.

Our  documentation project uses many drop-down links (hyper links where the text drops down beneath the link in the next paragraph). The documentation was written with it expecting the text to come out below the text.

For example, suppose I have this in my RH propject. When I preview it, or when I compile into our HTML Help (chm) output, it looks like this: 

Text String A

String A drop down text appears here

Text String B

String B drop down text appears here

Text String C

String C drop down text appears here

However, in the printed output, it generates like this:

String A drop down text appears here

String B drop down text appears here

String C drop down text appears here

Text String A

Text String B

Text String C

This is my first time generating printed output in RH 9. Previously we were using RH 7 and it generated as expected, with the drop down text coming out below.

Is anyone else seeing this? Do you know of a setting or something that might be able to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Ok. I figured out how to fix it. This was happening in RH 7 too now that I think about it. I hope Adobe will fix this problem because it's quite a pain to do the workaround.

Here's the background on my project and the workaround on my problem.

Background. This is a straight decompiled html help project (chm) with an hhp. It was originally generated by RoboHelp 7. I'm importing it into RH 9 to try and generated a printed manual from this help file. So if you want to duplicate this on your end, crea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I figured out how to fix it. This was happening in RH 7 too now that I think about it. I hope Adobe will fix this problem because it's quite a pain to do the workaround.

Here's the background on my project and the workaround on my problem.

Background. This is a straight decompiled html help project (chm) with an hhp. It was originally generated by RoboHelp 7. I'm importing it into RH 9 to try and generated a printed manual from this help file. So if you want to duplicate this on your end, create a test project in RH 7 with a drop down link or two. Generate a .chm file from it. Decompile the chm file and create an hhp file using FAR HTML or MS Help Workshop. Open the hhp inside of RH 9. Without modifying or saving any topics in RH immediately try to do a printed output. You'll see that the output appears below it.

Workaround. You have to open the affected topic in the WYSIWYG editor and make a simple edit (like add a space and delete it) and then save the topic. When you then generate the printed output, the drop down links put the image below the parent text. The problem is I have thousands of topics in this project and it takes FOREVER to resolve this. I've had to resort to an overnight macro that opens each topic, makes a minor change and saves it prior to printing. I really hope there's a better way around this in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity, why are you decompiling the chm, rather than  opening the project (or a copy, if you are just testing) in RH9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amebr wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why are you decompiling the chm, rather than  opening the project (or a copy, if you are just testing) in RH9?

Decompiling the chm and localizing the decompiled contents has is part of our company's localization process. See my post here for an explanation: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4006187#4006187

I'm merely trying to bring it back into RH to generated a printed output in the target language. I agree it'd be ideal to localize the actual RH project and we're making steps to do that, but I think it'll be a gradual process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Just wanted to check you had a reason beyond "that's how we've always done it".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One question, I assume this is old project upgraded in RH9 (from RH7 I guess). Did you try the tools > Update DHTML Effects in Topics option.

This option needs to be done once only, and after that all the topics will get updated to latest RH9. try this and generate Printed output and let us know if it helps or not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Praful_Jain wrote:

One question, I assume this is old project upgraded in RH9 (from RH7 I guess). Did you try the tools > Update DHTML Effects in Topics option.

This option needs to be done once only, and after that all the topics will get updated to latest RH9. try this and generate Printed output and let us know if it helps or not

Yes the chm was created from RH 7, but I'm not opening a RH 7 project into RH 9. I'm importing the decompiled chm that was created from the RH 7 project into RH 9. No I didn't try Update DHTML Effects. But I'll be certain to give it a try. Hopefully that'll be a quick fix for what I need.

Thanks for the answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Praful_Jain wrote:

Praful_Jain,

I tried it again on a new language we got back from our localization team, and it worked! Hooray! I don't have to run my overnight macro anymore. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp