12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 11:49 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Marvell Raid Setup Problem

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I have managed to install an onboard raid 0 using two 300Gb V'Raptors connected to an X70-UD5 board, and they are up and running.

I am trying to add second raid 0 using two WD 1Tb Blacks connected to the next pair of Marvell sockets on the MB.  I have set that sata connection to raid, but after restarting and using Ctrl m to enter Marvell configuration, I can't see those WD blacks - only the 300Gb Raptors already set up and working. 

If I go into Win7 Disk Management I can see the two WD Blacks as unallocated volumes.

Any ideas where I might be going wrong? 

• 1. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem

A bit more detail

I was going to use the Intel onboard for the raid, but there only appears to be one place to set the IDE/AHCI/Raid mode option.  I tried it anyway with my first pair of drives on SATA 2 & 3, but the system would no longer boot because my boot drive was on SATA 0.  I could have moved the boot drive to the Marvell SATA headers, but it did not look like I could set up two arrays on the Intel headers.  BTW  0/1 have white sockets where as 2/3 and 4/5 are black.  I can't see anything in the manual as what the difference is.  (I assume there must be a difference as they are a different colour)

So I set the Intel headers back to AHCI and moved all my stand alone drives to them.

I connected only the twp 300Gb V'Raptors to GSATA 6/7 and went through the set up procedure and all was well.  It did take me a moment or two to realise I also had set them up in the OS Disk management, but I haven't done this before.

With the first array working, I connected my two WD 1Tb Blacks to GSATA 8/9 and set that header to RAID in the BIOS (Each pair of Marvell GSATA ports can be configured separately for  IDE/AHCI/Raid.  The X79-UD5 only has four ports, but there is a third option in the BIOS to configure the front panel sata connection)  I could see both drives at that stage, but I can't remember exactly where.

I rebooted to the Marvell configuration but could only see the first array with the two 300Gb V'Raptors. No matter what I tried, the two 1Tb Blacks where not to be seen.

I could set still set up a software raid0 in Disk management for the two WD Blacks, but I must be going wrong somewhere, and would prefer to use the onboard raid.  Having said that, it must still be using CPU cycles, so I wonder if there is much advantage either way?

Out of interest, the two V'Raptors are by far my fastest drives now - even faster than my SSD boot drive (MUCH faster for write times)

2 x 300Gb VRaptor Raid 0.jpg

So any Marvell experts out there?

• 2. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem

Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but I have started using the 2 x V'Raptor raid0 on the Marvell ports, and it is hanging the computer after writing about 10Gb.  It has happened twice now, and the system is completely frozen.  Surely I should be able to get this running OK?

• 3. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem
              Crist OC/PC Level 2

If I go into Win7 Disk Management I can see the two WD Blacks as unallocated volumes.

Any ideas where I might be going wrong?

Trevor If you can see them in the Disk Management press rigth clik in then, give a volumen, make a particion, format and that is all.

They will be ready to use.

• 4. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem
                Crist OC/PC Level 2

Out of interest, the two V'Raptors are by far my fastest drives now - even faster than my SSD boot drive (MUCH faster for write times)

Yes They are but the SSD have a acces time much Fastest and that is really importan.

If you whan to get the best of your pc, install a ramche program in your pc and them make a ramcache of 6gb in each of your RAID 0.

Use the ssd only for OS. then tell me what do you think.

• 5. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem
                  Crist OC/PC Level 2

bLUE SCREEM?

• 6. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem

I certainly feel like screaming .  I think I'll swap it all round again and put the single drives on the Marvell ports, and see if I can set both raid0 on the Intel ports.  I have read that they are more stable, and even if I can only set one up from the BIOS - and I have a feeling I'll be able to set up both in the BIOS - I'll still be able to software raid the other pair.  It sure is a bit of a game this video mylarky.  I wouldn't mind but I have spent FAR more time sorting out hardware than I have learning Premiere Pro.

• 7. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem

I now have two hardware raid0 running off the Intel ports, and all my single drives - including my SSD OS drive - connected to the Marvell GSATA ports.  I thought all would be well after this, but the system still freezes completely when moving large data files between the drives.  This happens when writing to both raid0 - a 2 x 300Gb V'Raptor, and 2 x WD 1Tb Black.  It happens regardless of which drive the data is sourced from, and after anything from 70Gb to 500Gb transferred. I have tried it in Safe Mode and it still hangs. Every time, and it is unrecoverable needing the system to be reset and rebooted. 

The Intel raid drivers took several restarts before they settled, and were missing completely from Device Manager on the second restart.  I can see one instance of

Intel(R) C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller

and three instances of

Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller.

The Intel driver version is 3.0.0.2003

and Marvell 1.2.0.1010

Both are current.

MB is X79-UD5 running at stock. Firmware V7

I am wondering if the problem is still with the Marvell ports as I have read about issues with their SATA 6G - this was from a year ago.  I am really over this now, and would like to get on with my project, so if anyone could give me an idea how to fix this, I would be greatful.  Could I run those Marvell ports as SATA3 for instance? Delete one of the hardware raid0s and run it as software raid0 from Disk Management?

• 8. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem
                        Crist OC/PC Level 2

destroy the raid 0 and try on each raptor to see if the proble is on any of the raptors.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem

That's a good suggestion, and similar to what I was considering as a next step. The system hangs every time writing large data blocks to either raid0 array, and from different source drives. My next step was to start from the beginning keeping things as simple as possible to try and isolate the problem. I'll delete one of the hardware raid0 for instance, and if that works OK, keep adding drives until it fails.

As it happens, my second 300Gb v'raptor was obtained second hand from somebody who had upgraded to an SSD, so that's something to think about. But the v'raptor raid0 is only 600Gb so I was going to use it for captured video. It has a single 80Gb project on it at the moment, and it took two attempts to transfer that data to it.

The other raid0 is a pair of 1Tb WD Blacks, and I am trying to transfer My Documents to it, which is close to 600Gb.  It hangs every time from anything from 200 to 500Gb moved. 

I have a similar thread on an Oz gamers/overclockers forum.  They sure seem to know their system tweaking stuff, but have not given me anything more helpful than that Marvell SATA sucks, and Marvell  SATA 6G sucks big time.  But I have eight drives (including the DVD burner – 10 with the USB3 externals), so have to use both Intel and Marvell ports. 

I am just a hobbyist with video, and having spent close to NZ$5000 on the box so far, I would prefer not to invest upwards of another NZ$2000 for a raid controller.  I mean I don’t know for sure that it’s the on-board raid controller that is causing the problem. 

The place that built the box opens after the Christmas break this coming Monday, so I’ll get them involved, but I don’t think their experience and knowledge extends to this area.  They are a Gigabyte main dealer though, and have good communications with the NZ Gigabyte technical people.

Just one thought, when I initially tried to set up using the Intel ports, it lost my boot drive and I reset the BIOS defaults while trying to fix it.  Since then I have a display glitch when resizing some windows.  Disk Management window is the worst affected.  It looks for all the world like a GPU driver issue, but I have checked that.  When I drag the corner to resize the window, it leaves these trails:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7170/6577835731_7e7cafdf87_o.jpg

• 10. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem
                            Crist OC/PC Level 2

Even could be overheat on your MB. Try to touch your south brige wiles you make the exportation. It can be a problem of the Mother Board.

• 11. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem
                              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/2050 7/eng/RSTE_allOS_3.0.0.3020_PV.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=20507&DownloadType=Drivers&OSFullname= Windows+7+(64-bit)*&ProductID=3335

Update the controller to that.

Your ram settings are not correct. The X79 uses the Intel Enterprise software raid controller which does all of  it's caching to ram. If your running into issues on long drive transfers the ram is corrupting the data.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: Marvell Raid Setup Problem

Erik, you are a total star!!! I have been using Intel 3.0.0.2003 downloaded from the drivers page for the X79-UD5 on the Gigabyte website. The driver you linked to is 3.0.0.3020, and I have been testing it for the last several hours moving several large blocks of data about with no problems.  Before it hung every time.

I had checked my RAM.  It is ADATA Gaming series DDR3 1600G and it was set at 9.9.9.24 running at 1600Mhz as per the ADATA website information.

Thanks again for your insight. I really appreciate it.