Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC, Index, Search content not loading in FireFox 3.0 +

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have created from RH 8 a merged Webhelp system (1 master, 2 children - based on Peter Grainge's posted procedure). It works fine from IE, and on my system, from FireFox 3.0 and up.

The problem is, that when deployed at the customer's site, the TOC, Index, and Search content does not load in FireFox. All frames display (Nav, contents, and the top frame), but the content for the TOC, Index, and Search does not load.

This only happens at the customer site. The webhelp system works okay in IE.

I have checked and we are running the same javascript version, have the same security settings in FireFox set.

I looked on Peter's site and implemented the redirect fix for FireFox that he has posted, but that hasn't seemed to fix the problem.

They aren't running any special toolbars (like Google toolbar). I am checking on add ons.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I might check or better yet what might be causing the problem?

Thank you,

Tannis

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the start page of a child topic. Does the TOC display then?

Does it also happen if all add-ins are disabled? I recall a post where an add-in caused this problem in FF3.

Does the default topic of the merge display?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tannis

I think maybe this is a more likely answer.

See Item 57 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I took a look at your snippet page and tried for find a .hf file (snippet 141) but couldn't it.

I then took at look at snippet 57 -

TOC Fails to load on server.

And got the client to see if that might be the problem, unfortunately no. Neither one applied to our situation. As the application runs on an Oracle Application Server the IIS issue does not apply and according to the client, the .js issue is not the problem either.

Was there any other snippet that I might have missed that you were thinking I should look at?

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thank you,

Tannis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every browser base AIR output has a main.hf file. Were you looking in the output or the source.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Perhaps I am being dim here, but I am not generating AIR output. I am generating Webhelp. We aren't using Adobe AIR.  Since the snippet was the only one for FireFox I thought I would give it a try despite the fact that we aren't using AIR as far as I know.

We have found addiitonal information however, through the FireFox debug console. We get the following error on the clients server:

server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555

CFE-2009-3555 (http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2009-3555) identifies that this is associated with SSL and certificate verifcaiton.

Have you seen this before?

Thanks,

Tannis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Did you use the default FF console? If so try Firebug to see what else may be wrong. I've seen a problem recently where the TOC wouldn't load in Firefox because the TOC referenced a merged project that was missing on the server.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam

A merge will not work properly unless all the projects have been generated once. After that it should not matter that a project is missing, indeed simply not publishing one of the projects to the server is one of the features of merging making it easy to supply different customers with different content.

I wonder if the problem you saw was because that project had not been generated.

Tannis

Sorry, the reference to AIR help was because you mentioned Snippet 141 which is AIR specific. I didn't look further back in the thread.

You said that the start page of a child project opens the tripane window with the default topic but you do not get the TOC etc. That rules out the merge being the problem. I am inclined to the view that the server is the issue so get your client to load the published output from my merge demo as that is a known quantity. Ask them to open each child project in turn and then finally the merge.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2012 Jan 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter,

I don't know exactly how it came to be since it wasn't my project. The thing I found was that the merged help expected a child project output that was not available on the server.IE and Chrome kept working, but it broke the TOC in FF.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the help. I will take a look at the snippet page and let you know, but to answer your other questions:

Open the start page of a child topic. Does the TOC display then? <<TT>> No

Does it also happen if all add-ins are disabled? I recall a post where an add-in caused this problem in FF3. <<TT>>Yes, I also saw the post, so I disabled the addins, unfortunately it didn't solve the problem

Does the default topic of the merge display? <<TT>> Yes, everything else works fine, except the loading of the TOC, Index, and Search content.

Cheers and happy New Year,

Tannis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tannis, it might be worth checking with the client if they are using a proxy server. I've seen strange things happen with proxy servers, especially with Firefox, so it might be worth asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp