24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2012 12:19 PM by the_wine_snob RSS

PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

dennisbthomas

I have a project that won't let me create a DVD or ISO file.

I can create a computer mpg file and a web DVD file using the same project.

This project has 5 menu items using the Beach Menu disc menu.

The source is from a 8mm Tape creating a .avi file.

There is no error message and the program displays the normal

messages as the DVD process procedes. The only noted is that it doesn't

spend much time writing the DVD, which makes sense, since there is nothing

on the DVD.

I tested another file with exactly the same attibutes except using a shorter video file but

with 5 menu items using the same Beach Menu.

This worked just fine.

Using windows 7x64 and PRE10 with all latest updates.

Any help on identify the issue/problem or a workaround.

Many thanks

Dennis

• 1. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO
          dennisbthomas Community Member

I think I have found the problem by looking at the another thread regarding PRE 9 and programs that may impact PRE9 AND settings.

The following is the item that helped me correct the problem.

In WIN 7 click on the computer/DVD burner then select Recording. Then assign a disk drive that has lots of available disk space.

14. Disable the Windows XP packet writing utility. To do so, go to My Computer, Right click oon your DVD burner, choose Properties. Find the "Recording" tab. Uncheck "Enable CD recording on this drive" While you are there, switch off all AutoRun options too. It means going through each option and then selecting "Take No Action" as the default option. AutoRun will "poll" the drive every few minutes to look for a new disc, and if it finds one it will try to open it.

I still need to verify a few more projects but I did check out one that wouldn't work until I made the above change.

Dennis

• 2. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

I spoke too soon!!

Still have the problem. I will continue to look at previous links but if anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

Many Thanks

Dennis

• 3. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO
              Steve Grisetti MVP

If you'll work through the steps in our troubleshooting FAQ and tell us in as much detail in possible what your results are for each step, we can usually diagnose the problem and recommend solutions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318

BTW, how did you capture the 8mm video as AVIs -- and did you confirm that they are DV-AVIs? (If they are, you should see no red lines above them when you add them to your video project.)

• 4. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Hi Steve,

Thanks for responding.

I have copied you forum steps with my reply.

1.    Create a “pure” AVI project. (Go to the Share tab, select Computer, then AVI, using the DV preset.) If this works, do a Save As to save a copy of your project, delete all of the video except this newly created AVI, then place the AVI on the timeline in place of the deleted video (the DVD markers should still line up).

The project source video is an AVI file that was created by PRE10 using a mini DV tape. The project also includes 5 titles slides. There are no photos.

The project loads and plays without the unrendered red bar.

The following are window captures from the EDIT/PROJECT SETTINGS menu:

1. GENERAL

Image 1.jpg

2. CAPTURE

Image 2.jpg

3. VIDEO RENDERING

Image 3.jpg

2.    Burn to a folder rather than directly to a disc. Select this option from Share/Output/Disc. This eliminates the possibility that other disk burning software is interfering with communication with your computer’s burner. Once the disk files are created, you can use your computer’s burner software to burn the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents to a disk.

When a project fails to create a DVD it also fails to create a folder. The process looks normal under the Burning Disc message. It shows about 2% then quickly goes to 99% then ends, without any output.

3.    Clear space on and defragment your hard drive. A one-hour video can require up to 50 gigabytes of free, defragmented space on your hard drive to render and process (depending on your source files). Even a “pure” AVI project can require 20-30 gigabytes of space.

My online disk drives are as follows and have been defragmented:

:

DRIVE                         TOTAL               FREE          USAGE

a. Boot/system  (S)           149 GB              65 GB          Windows 7x64

b. Data-Video (D)              931 GB              77 GB          All Data and Video files. Includes project source and all PRE10 scratch files. See PREFERENCES/SCRATCH DISKS below.

c. Video Scratch (E)         465 GB              91 GB          VIdeo scratch files not on D-Drive.

d, DVD Burner          LG GH24LS50 SATA 24X DVD+-R Lightscribe

PREFERENCES/SCRATCH DISKS

Image 5.jpg

I have also rebooted and removed a test copy of Corel  VideoStudio X4 Ultimate.

I hope this helps but if you have any questions or suggestions please let me know.

My next step is to make a copy of project and then start downsizing it to see if I can get any part of the project to create a DVD/Folder.

Thanks

Dennis

• 5. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO
                  Steve Grisetti MVP

Sorry, but I can see nothing in what you've listed that would indicate where the problem lies.

You can see if running Advanced System Care Free makes a difference. You may have some invisible junk clogging up your drives.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

And you can try doing a Save As to save your project file under a different name in a new folder to see if that allows you to burn to a folder on your hard drive. (Sometimes, if you've failed creating a DVD, the old work files get mixed up with the new when you try it again. Saving your project under a new name in a new folder allows the program to make a new attempt in a fresh workspace.)

But beyond that, I'm afraid I can't be of much help, based on what you've reported. Sorry.

• 6. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO
                    nealeh Community Member

dennisbthomas wrote:

2.    Burn to a folder rather than directly to a disc. Select this option from Share/Output/Disc. This eliminates the possibility that other disk burning software is interfering with communication with your computer’s burner. Once the disk files are created, you can use your computer’s burner software to burn the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents to a disk.

When a project fails to create a DVD it also fails to create a folder. The process looks normal under the Burning Disc message. It shows about 2% then quickly goes to 99% then ends, without any output.

I'm not clear from your reply if you actually tried the Burn to Folder option. It sounds as though you are monitoring PRE's temporary files. In the Share> Disc> DVD dialog you should actually set PRE to burn directly to a folder.

1.png

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried your suggestion of creating a copy of the project in a new folder. Same problem.

After testing various changes, I found away around the problem, so far.

My original project had 4 clips and 4 scene menu items. I manually created the 4 scene menu markers with a start and stop menu marker for each clip.

This combination failed to create a dvd or iso every time, even if I did a Save a Copy.

When I cleared all of the menu markers using the Disc Menu/Auto-Generate Menu Markers.. command AND THEN

used the Disc Menu/Auto-Generate Menu Markers.. to set menu markers at each scene I could successfully create a DVD using either the orginal copy

or the Save a Copy.

The only difference that I can see is that the Disc Menu/Auto-Generate Menu Markers.. command created only 4 start scene markers and no stop markers.

This sounds pretty wild.  will make sure that I use this method going forward and to see if it continues to work.

Thanks again for your attention and help as always.

Dennis

• 8. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Hi Nealeh,

Thanks for responding.

What I said may have been somewhat confusing but I did always try to create an ISO file as you suggested.

See my reply to Steve as to my work around.

Thanks

Dennis

• 9. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO
                          nealeh Community Member

Did you place a marker at the very end of your timeline ? If so that probably caused the problem. PRE automatically assumes an end of timeline marker and can cause burning problems if you also place one there.

If you did try your original project again after deleting the marker at the end.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Hi Neale,

Thanks for you response. I tired what you said plus 4 other combinations with my original project and can't get it to fail.

The take away from all of this is that I use the PRE auto menu marker generation feature  do the work.

If there are a lot of cuts that may be quite a problem to remove the makers that aren't needed but at least I

can see how PRE does it and then use that for a model.

Thanks for all of your and Steve's time with this.

Dennis

• 11. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

I have more information about the problem. When the end of a menu item is more than 6 frames from the beginning of the start of the next menu item, no DVD or ISO file is created.  I checked this out on various locations from 1 to 7 frames and the last one that worked is 6.  This was only verified on 1 project and one menu item (end-start).  I will do more testing as time permits.  Dennis

• 12. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO
                                atoddvr6 Community Member

Hello,

I am having the same problem. I can't burn a disc or create an ISO. Here is what I have done so far to try to solve the problem:

1. I started from scratch with a new project and deleted the old one and am using the same source video files. (mpgs captured from vhs) FYI: I had a large collection of home movies on VHS that I captured to mpg format and have been able to successfully create and burn every single one with Premiere Elements until now. Nothing has changed. No hardware changes. No project changes. Nothing. Except for Elements itself. I started with PE8 and I am now using PE10. But still, I have completed several project with 10 just fine. So...

2. I have tried both animated and unanimated main and scene menu buttons.

3. I deleted all the menu markers and let PE create them for me.

This project consists of four scenes just like Dennis's movie. Only they are four separate clips and I don't want the movie to play all the way through so I need stop markers the the end of each clip. Back when I started doing all these projects I noticed that if I left a two frame gap between each scene, the movie would work better. If I didn't, I would see the first frame of the next scene when the previous one stopped. I would also see the end of a prior scene when skipping the next scene.

Will my problem be solved if I close the gaps? If I close all the gaps, where do I put the stop menu buttons? Somewhere before the end of the scene right? I am going to keep trying different combinations either way but if anyone has any input I would be great appreciative.

PE10.jpg

Andrew

• 13. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO
                                  the_wine_snob Community Member

Welcome to the forum.

You do not want any gaps in the Video. Instead, go to the New Icon, and create Black Video. If that two Frame separation is working for you, then in the Source Monitor, Trim your Black Video (it will be created with the Duration set in Edit>Preferences) to 2 Frames, and just place it between your Clips. Gaps can cause Transcoding to fail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Now, here are some more tips and comments:

Transfering the VHS tapes to MPEG is not a good choice. MPEG is heavily compressed, and is also GOP (Group of Pictures - more on that in a moment), which means that there is only about one I-Frame per every 12 - 15 Frames. When you Burn a DVD, you are Transcoding to MPEG-2, so your material will be compressed, all over again, loosing quality. Transfering those tapes to DV-AVI is a much better option. This ARTICLE will give you detail. Internally, PrE must convert the MPEG files into full I-Frame for Frame-accurate editing, and those are basically DV-AVI files. Though only lightly-compressed, it is still another compression step for material, VHS, that was not the best to begin with.

Now, this ARTICLE goes into more detail on GOP structure.

Also, PrE cannot create an ISO (Image), but only Burn to Disc, or Burn to Folder for DVD. Now, with a program, like ImgBurn, one can convert the VIDEO_TS Folder (created with Burn to Folder) into an ISO, if they need to.

Also, one does not want a Stop Marker at the end of the Timeline. If you have one, remove it.

For more involved navigation, I recommend Sony's DVD Architect, as PrE's DVD navigation is quite limited.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Yes, Markers being placed too closely together, or a Stop Marker placed at the end of the Timeline, can cause Transcoding and Burn to Disc, or Burn to Folder, to fail.

PrE cannot create an ISO (Image file), but if one does a Burn to Folder, creating the VIDEO_TS Folder and necessary files, they can use the free ImgBurn to create an ISO from that VIDEO_TS Folder.

Hunt

• 16. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Update:

I tried it again after closing all the gaps. Didn't work.

Then I tried it with gaps and Black Video inserted in the gaps. Didn't work.

My last option that I know of is to Save As to a different folder or hard drive. Should I save as or save a copy? Does it matter? Or should I just delete the entire project first, then start a new one, and save it somewhere else?

I do not have stop markers at the end of the timeline and the stop and start markers are two frames appart. The last scene has the credits attached directly to it with no markers in between and, of course, nothing at the end. Hope that clears it up a little.

Thank you Bill for you help so far!

Andrew

• 17. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Save, Save_As, and Save_As_a_Copy are ONLY for the PREL files, and are not any form of Export/Share. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

I may have missed it, and if so, apologize, but have you been able to Burn to Folder?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Well, I COMPLETELY deleted the entire project and started from scratch and it still will not burn. I am at a complete loss. The project is now on a totaly different drive. Do the clips have to be rendered? I haven't rendered clips in any of my previous projects. Either way, I have tried buring this project both ways. Any ideas?

• 19. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Rendering the Timeline is useful for smoothest playback, and might shave a few moments off the Transcoding operation (cannot remember if PrE uses the Render files, like PrPro does).

Now, when you attempt to Burn to Disc, with that new Project, do you get any error messages? If so, what was the exact text of those error messages?

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

• 20. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

No error messages at all. It goes through the encoding process which take a few minutes. Then it says "Burning Disc". The progress bar starts to fill and my burner starts to spin up but then it immediately spits the disc out. If I have it set to make three copies, the message just says disc 1 of 3 is complete, please insert the next disc. I have never seen any error messages. I know my burner is functioning properly. I just don't get it because ALL of my previous projects have been done the exact same way with the exact same file types and settings etc. And they all burned with no problems.

• 21. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Another day, another try. Ha ha.

Well, I just tried burning to a folder and it goes through the same process and even fills the progress bar during the "burning" process like its saving the files to the folder. When I go to the folder there is nothing in it! I had it create a new folder on my desktop but there were no files in it when PrE was done.

I even cleared the media cache. Still not burning.

I just don't know what else could be causing this problem. Unless there is some setting somewhere that is causing it.

Andrew

• 22. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

What about the files in the Encoded Files folder? Can I use ImgBurn to turn those files into an ISO? Here is the list of the files:

2001.prelEncodeComplete.tmp

MotionMenu0.ac3

MotionMenu0.m2v

MotionMenu0.xmp

MotionMenuEncodeComplete0.tmp

Movie.ac3

Movie.m2v

Movie.xmp

The name of the project is 2001.

Andrew

• 23. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

I would not Burn to Folder in the Desktop Folder. It has some special attributes, and many Adobe programs have real issues working to/from the Desktop Folder.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Andrew,

It looks like the process is crashing, before the Audio & Video have been muxed (into one MPEG-2 file with both Streams), and before the Vobulator has written them, plus the Menus and navigational info into the VOB containers, and then the IFO (Info), and BUP (Backup) files.

Something is going off, just before, or during the Vobulator process.

Wish that I had more to offer.

Good luck,

Hunt