• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There was an error opening document. Access denied. Cant open pdf attached to emails

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2012 Jan 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Acrobat Reader x and can't open files attached to emails in Outlook 2010.   If I save the file, I can open it.   I assume it has something to do with protected view or such but can't find where to change settings.   I can open .doc and .xlsx files attached to emails so it seems to be only an issue with .pdf files attached to emails in Outlook.   Suggestions?

TOPICS
View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2012 Jan 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try to turn of protected mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still looking for an answer to this problem.    I have noticed that if I double click on a pdf file in my email (outlook) i get the error message of access denied and if I then try to open a pdf that is stored on my desktop without closing and reopening the reader I get the same message.    If I close reader and then manually start it, I can then open the files on my desktop but not on my email.   Suggestions?   I closed my security software to see if it was interfering but still have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To make things simple for you, here are two ways for you fix the problem:

A. Fix One PC

1. Launch Adobe Acrobat Reader X
  2. Go to: Edit > Preferences...
  3. Click on "General" in the left pane.
  4. Uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup"
  5. You will prompted with a dialog box to remind you to close the application for the change to go into effect. Click Yes.
  6. Click OK to save your change.
  7. Exit Adobe Reader

B. Fix Several PCs in Your Organization
Following the above steps aren't practical if you have Adobe Acrobat installed on 1,000+ computers in 30 regional offices! Push this registry setting using your standard software deployment software.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Privileged]
"bProtectedMode"=dword:00000000

Microsoft Outlook and other email clients
I hear this will also fix the "There was an error opening this document. Access denied." error that is occurring with any email client, including Microsoft Outlook Express; Microsoft Outlook 2010, 2007, 2003; Eudora; Mozilla Thunderbird.

Credit for this answer must go to http://www.brianstevenson.com/blog/adobe-acrobat-reader-x-there-was-error-opening-document-access-de...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines