Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Page intentionally left blank."

Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using FrameMaker 9.0 on Windows, and I'm trying to add the statement "Page intentionally left blank" on the last page of my chapters. I've found some information online about how to do it, but not step-by-step instructions. I tried each of the solutions (adding a reference frame in the reference pages, adding a new master page), but for some reason, I can't get this to work. I also tried just manually typing the line in, but that's risky because I'll probably forget some in the final edit and/or I'll add/delete text and the pagination will change.

Sorry if this has been posted before. I did a search and couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Hi meganew,

I set mine up on a reference page. Created a page size reference frame (See below for instructions on a ref frame.) and then a text box (of course, it has to be placed in the frame correctly for your format.) in it with "This page intentionally left blank." Then created a para format called blank page. In the para designer, click on the advanced icon and select the drop down arrow beside Frame Below pgf. Whatever you have named the frame on the reference page will be in the drop down

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then the page wouldn't be blank

All seriousness aside, there are (as usual with Frame), multiple ways to do this.

But before getting into details, do you always need a blank page at end of chapter, or are you just trying to deal with the blank that can result from the "Make Page count Even" on save?

And is each chapter a separate .fm file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL.

I'm only trying to deal with the blank page that results from Make Page Count Even. Each chapter, appendix, etc. are separate .fm files. I found some posts now called "Assign Master pages to EndPages, and it sounds like the best solution is to purchase a plug-in. But, I can't do that because I'm working on a secure system.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quick and dirty way to do this is to create an anchored frame that is nearly full page, with the TPILB text inside. Attach the frame to an empty line everywhere you need it. The frame ensures nothing else will be on the page. This is obviously manual.

We insert intentional truly blank (zero content) pages using a paragraph format named "Blank". It is a text color set invisible in Color Views, and is MasterPageMapped to a Master Page named "Blank", using the standard Apply Master Pages A(MP) feature. Manual ops are involved.

I've never tried this, but a more elegant solution, not requiring a 3rd-party app, would be to implement a Left Master Page hack.

• Create a new Master Page "Left.Used", based on "Left".
  • Put the TPILB text on the standard default Master Page "Left".
  • Run an AMP to create the MasterPageMappingTable in the Reference Pages.
  • In multiple rows, list a generous assortment of normal paragraph names in the Paragraph Tag Name column (Body, Heading2, et.c). List enough to ensure that any page with content will trigger a mapping.
  • In each row, set the mappings to:
    |  Right |  Left.Used  |  Single  |

Now, all left pages without triggering content will be the TPILB page.

Pages with content get mapped to the real {Left.Used} page.

If you are already running AMPs to set start-of-chapter pages, there is no extra work in your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all good morning,

this is my third post in this forum. I need for help regarding the problem "TPILB text".

In our publications we must use the sentence "INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK" in the pages without chapters. We are using the Framemaker 7.2 and we are not able to insert the TPILB in the last blank page when it is left and even.

I have followed the suggest in the Error7103 post (without success) until the point described below:

• Create a new Master Page "Left.Used", based on "Left".  DONE
  • Put the TPILB text on the standard default Master Page "Left".  DONE
  • Run an AMP to create the MasterPageMappingTable in the Reference Pages.DONE
  • In multiple rows, list a generous assortment of normal paragraph names in the Paragraph Tag Name column (Body, Heading2, et.c). List enough to ensure that any page with content will trigger a mapping.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT DOES IT MEAN
  • In each row, set the mappings to: I DON'T KNOW WHAT DOES IT MEAN
    |  Right |  Left.Used  |  Single  |

Would you be so kind to explain the point marked as I DON'T KNOW WHAT DOES IT MEAN.

Thank you in advance for your help and cooperation.

Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how I do it now:

How to add This page intentionally left blank.

1.       Open the reference page in the chapter you want to add this.

2.       Click Special>Add Reference Page.

3.       Click the graphics tool.

4.       Draw a page-sized frame in the blank Reference page. Name the frame “blank page.”

5.       Draw a text box where you want the ‘this page intentionally left blank’ to appear and type the words.

6.       Create a paragraph tag called “intentionally blank.” Format the text how you want it (Calibri, 14 pt, centered, italics) and click the Advanced Tab. Click the drop-down menu Below Pgf and select the frame name “blank page.”

7.       Click View Body Pages.

8.       Click Format>Page Layout>Apply Master Pages

9.       Click View>Reference Pages

10.   Go to the table called Unstructured masterPage Maps.

11.   Type Body|leave blank|Left

12.   Click View>Body Pages.

13.   Click the bottom of the page before the blank page.

14.   Click Catalog and change the tag to “intentionally blank.”

15.   Repeat on each different type of chapter and import formats to like chapters.

Let me know if this works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting procedure, and I will take a close look to see if I benefit more by performing these steps than by using my present procedure, which goes like this:

1. When formatting a book, I set all sections for even-numbered pages.

2. The last page of each section is always a left-hand page.

3. If section contents end on a right-hand page, I simply add “This page intentionally left blank.” to the middle of the last page—using the Body tag.

Ron Tillotson

Technical Writer

P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron,

As you pointed out, you should always go for the simplest solution. I fortunately do not have to deal with clueless people of the Dilbert kind, so I just leave the left pages at the end of a chapter blank.

For fun, I did create a master page called "Dumb Blank Page" and added a text block in the middle of it that stated:

This page has been intentionally left blank because the section ended

on the previous page, but -- now that we’ve stated the obvious -- it isn’t

blank any more, is it?

I will never use this master page, but it is somehow deliciously sarcastic.

Yours,

Michael F

=======

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

your sarcasm is contagious. I have proposed the statment in your post to my boss, that accepted to insert the complete sentence on our publication. there is only a request from him and is:

It must appear only on the even last page (left). have you any ideas in order to avoid the problem described in my previous post?

Thank you in advance for the answer.

Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luca,

You might be able to avoid blank even last pages by carefully reviewing the chapter and

1. Adding a paragraph here and there or enlarging a graphic here and there to force the content to flow into that blank even last page, or

2. Tightening up the text or shrinking some graphics here and there to pull the content back to the even last page.

It depends on whether that last page is mostly empty or mostly full.

Yours,

Michael F

=======

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

I can't enlarge a paragraph here and there, or enlarge a graphic here and there. Consider that my agency make two publications each month.

The tables within the document are filled with data stored in a DB. There are a lot of changes every time that we make a publication and a lot of pages are published (only the changed ones). Our system check the changes between the new version and the previous one compliling a check list of pages. So the easy way to do this is automatically. And we MUST compile the publication automatically in order to follows the rule that is imposed to publish our informations.

Then I need for a solution that follows the items described in Meganew post. They work properly but give us the problem described for the odd pages.

If I solve the odd last page problem it would be wonderful.

Thanks

Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have that issue with odd pages. I have mine set as a double-sided document, so if it ends on an odd page, there's no blank page added. Sorry I can't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi meganew, all

I am doing all items described in your last post, but I have a problem yet.

The " Intentionally left blank" appears both in case it is necessary and in case it isn't requested.

The "Intentionally left blank" appears as last even page and it is added when the compiled (from database) pages stop at number e.g. "11". The system, with your procedure, add the "ILB page" at page number "12". It is right.

But, and it is wrong, the system adds the "ILB page" when it isn't requested. E.g. my document, compiled with data from my DB, stop at page number "12". In this case it should stop, on the contrary the system adds the page number "13" with the sentence "ILB". I don't want this.

I am sure that I have a setting that give a "bad" command to the system, in order to add the last odd page with the famous ILB, but unfortunately I dont know it.

May be that I have a wrong setting on the Unstructured masterPage Maps?

The configuration of that table , in my document, is:

Paragraph Tag Name          Right-Handed Master Page (or Single-sided Master page)     Left-Handed Master Page     Range Indicator (Single, Span pages, Until changed)     Comments

intentionally blank                                                                                                         Left

As you wrote I left the second column blank.

Have you (anybody) any ideas about it?

Thank you.

Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the last line of your document tagged with the "intentionally blank" tag? If so, you can change it to "body" and that should stop the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meganew, forum's members

regarding your last post I have some questions.

First of all we ( I and my collegue) aren't able to apply what you wrote.

We are not able to identify the last line of our document. The last thing in our document is the paragraph "intentionally left blank" and it appears after we performed the bullets (from 1 to 15) described in your previous post.

The questions for you or for the forum's members are:

1) Where we must identify the last line of the document? Body page, Master page or Reference page?

2) What is the way to identify the last line?

3) What is the way to change the last line tag from "intentionally left blank" to "body"? Is it necessary that we use the tag "body" or we are able to use another one? Consider that we haven't the paragraph tag "body".

We are next to the solution but we haven't reach it yet.

Thank you in advance to everybody for the answers.

Ciao

Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luca,

I personally just place mine manually as in the answer I gave above. Although it would be nice I guess for it to work automatically when pages are odd or even. I don't find it hard to add the blank page para when I know it is needed though.

I also tryied meganews answer and I guess I didn't understand it completely. It didn't work for me either.

Meganew,

Would you be more specific in the following step?

11.   Type Body|leave blank|Left

I tried this...but it didn't work....but again, I may not have applied it correctly.

Paragraph Tag Name          Right-Handed Master Page (or Single-sided Master page)     Left-Handed Master Page     Range Indicator (Single, Span pages, Until changed)     Comments

intentionally blank                                                                                                          Left

Thanks,

ls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what my Master Page looks like:

UnstructMasterPageMaps

Book Update (Yes or No): Yes

Top Row of table: Paragraph Tag Name     Right-Handed Master Page (or Single-Sided Master Page)     Left-Handed Master Page Range Indicator (Single, Span pages, Until changed)     Comments

Next Row: Body (leave the cell in the Right-Handed Master Page column blank)         Left  

Sorry, I can't paste a table into this message.

BTW, I have written to FrameMaker developers and marketing people asking them to hire me as a contractor to write their User's Guide and/or Help System. Their documentation is not up to par with what you'd expect in such a sophisticated software, IMO.

You may want to write to them and request better documentation. They didn't seem interested in spending money to improve it, but it would certainly help. I also requested that they update their templates. This is something pretty standard, yet it takes many steps to achieve.

Good luck. Please let me know if this works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hy Meganew,

sorry for the late answer.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Your procedure , described in more posts, is wonderful. It work properly .

Now we have the left right page automatically added to the documents when it is necessary.

We have only an error during the document compilation but it depends on our software (a kind of "documents compare" different and more complex than the Framemakers's one).

We are solving it.

Thank you very much for your valid cooperation.

Kind regards.

Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same question, different problem.  Our military contractor requires that the blank page be completely blank - no page number - nothing.  However, the previous page must indicate that the next page is blank, as in 2-1 (2-2 blank) (in the footer/page number).  I can't figure out how to advance the page number (2-2).  We inherited this document, and the previous owner had a different master page for every page that required this notification (over 100 master pages!).  There's got to be a better way, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Luca.

To Jive: Wow. That's a new one on me.

I guess you will need to create a master page with no headers or footers, but I don't know how you would program the page numbers into the last page of the document (for example, 2-2 blank). That wacky military. I just finished a military contract, which is why I needed to learn how to do the page intentionally blank in the first place.

I guess you could follow my directions for creating the TPILB, but leave the frame that contains the words "Page intentionally left blank" empty. That would solve your advancing the page issue and you could remove the headers and footers from the master page with the blank frame. But I'm stumped when it comes to adding the text to reflect what the next page number will be. Sorry. I'll think about this and try to find a solution...

By the way, if anyone knows of anyone hiring a very experienced writer in MD or VA, please let me know (how's that for a shameless plug??).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, sorry oatsybob. My last post was to  you. The address shown said to jive-xxx, so I addressed it to Jive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I am using FM 8 and I was able to apply this rule, but for some reason, it does not apply to my TOC file or to pages where I only have tables (even though I have included the formats used there in the mapping table). Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong??

This is how I've automatically applied the TPILB at the end of my even page chapters:

1. Go to COVER file
    1. Create Reference mapping table: Format - Page Layout - Apply Master Pages
    2. Create LeftContent master page: Special - Add master page - copy from left - name "LeftContent"
    3. Go to Master page view and on the default LEFT page:
      1. Insert text box and write: This page is intentionally left blank.
    4. Go to Reference page view
      1. Book update: Yes
      2. Fill in  Mapping table with conditions (the more the safer):

Capture.jpg

1. Format - Page Layout - Apply Master Pages
    1. Leave COVER file open and select the rest of files in the book
      1. Import format:
        1. Page layout
        2. Reference pages
    1. Update book - select all, including Apply Master Pages

Thanks in advance for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ana,

I had the same problem. The only solution I found was after generated my TOC, TOT, TOF, I would add an extra line below the table and tag it as "intentionally blank." It's not graceful, but it worked.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Megan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Megan,

Thank you for replying! That worked indeed, but I still do not have a solution for the tables that run across several pages. My temporary solution is either to manually assign a different master page or split the tables and insert an extra line of each page, but I was hoping for something automatic

Cheers,

Ana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. the last line is on the body page.

2. Just go to the end of the chapter and go to the last line.

3. You don't need to change the tag to "body" if you don't use that tag. You can use "Normal" or whatever you use for your body text. The directions I sent you sets up a tag for text called "intentionally blank," so if you don't want that on your last page, you need to retag the last line of your chapter to something other than "intentionally blank."

Let  me know if this works for you.

Thanks,

Megan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines