Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9 application help "Contents & Index" broken

Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using RH9 for months now and I still fail to grasp how the RH9 application help is supposed to work.

When I click the Help button in the main toolbar, I am supposed to choose from the available options. The option that looks TO ME like "normal" application online help functionality is the first one, called "Contents & Index".

So I click it, and what happens? After a wait, what happens is that our default IE browser home page opens (which is our corporate intranet home page).

So what the blazes am I supposed to do with THAT? Does that sound like "Contents & Index" to you? Well it doesn't to me either.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have edited your post.

I don't know why RoboHelp is not connecting to the help as no one else has reported this. The fact that your corporate home page is opening suggests that maybe the URL is being blocked. Try the link below.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/robohelp/robohtml/index.html

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I was reading that post an entirely different way. I was thinking that the issue was dealing with how to connect their own software with RoboHelp "Application Help" output.

Silly me...  Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL - I wasn't sure either - that's why I started my post off with "If..."

I think a picture would have been worth a thousand words here (or a couple of hundred at the least) ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link works fine. Is there some way I can hook that up to the RH9 Help button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where I live, the word you edited out is quite acceptable, roughly equivalent to "darn" back in the USA. Sorry if I offended any delicate ears.

Yes, by "RH9 application help" I meant the application help for RH9. When you run RH9, there is a Help button in the RH9 toolbar (see image).

RH9 Application Help button.png

How do I get it to do something else other than to open my default browser page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew if I looked around enough I would find it - use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Help\ and then run the Adobe Help.exe program. That should launch the Adobe Community Help AIRHelp program. Then go to Edit > Preferences and change it not open in your browser. That should set it back to the "factory" settings. Note - all this presumes that you've got the AIRHelp runtime installed. If you don't then you'll have to go to Adobe's downloads site and get a copy of the freebie installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you are on a 64 bit system, the path is likely to be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Help\

Personally I'd be shocked if the AIR runtime wasn't installed. I believe it gets installed when RoboHelp (or the Tech comms Suite) is installed.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've followed these instructions and verified that Adobe AIRHelp is installed by attempting  installation and receiving a message saying it was already installed.

Now when I click the Contents & Index option, I get the message shown in this image. I am already connected to the internet.Adobe err msg.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're referring to RH's own help system - it's a customized form of AIRHelp that they're calling Adobe Community Help. You can set it to open in your browser by default, but then the only way to see it back as an AIRHelp file is to find the exe that it uses. I remember seeing another thread about where it's located (& what it was called). Running it that way sets it back to being able to be launched as AIRHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Support send me some links and this is resolved. For some reason Adobe Air was installed but was not finding the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for posting how it was fixed. As to the deleted word, viewed a bit differently here and not for forum use, nothing more.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp